Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should i quit??
Yes 7 28.00%
No 17 68.00%
Maybe 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Over the months it has been obvious that i am nevre going to get to my goal weight.
Well, if you give up, you'll certainly never even get close.

That's why many people suggest setting a series of mini-goals. Instead of telling myself "I'm going to lose 100 pounds", I told myself "I'm going to walk for a half hour after work every day." When you reach that goal, you move on to another one. Etc. A counselor could help you with that.

Quote:
there are just certain things that i cannot give up.
I think in your case there are certain things you will not give up, even though they're preventing you from having any success.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
I think in your case there are certain things you will not give up, even though they're preventing you from having any success.
It's almost like we're talking about an alcoholic who has to hit "rock bottom" before they'll start on the road to recovery. For TJ, she has to completely redefine her relationship with food. She needs to learn how to eat to feed her body, and not eat because it's time, or it's there, or it looks good.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,015 times
I wonder if she has heard of Eat Right for your Blood Type? I hear it works very well.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:47 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Hopefully this doesn't come across too harsh because it's not intended that way..

For the OP, you are your own worst enemy and you need to overcome your own boundaries before you can get to where you want to be. You are currently making up way too many excuses and giving yourself too many chances to fail. I know how that is because I was also my own worst enemy. There are plenty of things to fill up on that will not hurt you very much at all and once you get used to eating them, they eventually replace the things you "want to eat". You're just used to eating bad and that's a hard one to overcome, but once you do, you'll find those foods pretty repulsive. Good example would be the cookies my son's GF made yesterday. First batch were sugar free and I liked them a lot, but my son thought they were gross and bland. Next batch was with real sugar, which he liked, but I found way too sweet. Start by cutting out or cutting way back on the worthless calories (sugar drinks, alcohol, candy, etc.) and start thinking about everything you put in your mouth. Ask yourself if it's really worth it and chances are the answer will be no. Also, don't even buy that stuff at the store. If it's in your house, you're going to eat it, but if it's not, you're more than likely not going to go get it, especially at night.. it works, trust me

Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Over the months it has been obvious that i am nevre going to get to my goal weight. there are just certain things that i cannot give up. and the times that I have tried to eat healhy i just cant deal with the hunger especially at night when I am trying to go to slep it hard to be hungry and fall asleep.

recently i have injued myself and am unable to exercise. as well as the eexercise is starting to a take a toll on my body all this and still no result exept a sore aching body

so should i just quit or not?
Have you been check for diabetes? That "always hungry" feeling is a key sign that you may have untreated diabetes.

Also , if you are African American your genes may say that you will be "on the large size" making weight loss a real , but not impossible, struggle.

One point not to lose sight of...... Failure to try, really try, and get checked for diabetes, will take years off your life. An early death isn't something to look forward to.........

Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Here, maybe this will help the original poster.

You need to learn to not like food, it's easy.
You need to make better choices.
You can eat anything you want and as much as you want, as long as you burn it off.
Hunger is all in your mind.
The only reason you are fat is because you make the wrong choices. Why are you making the wrong choices? Next time, instead of a piece of pizza, eat an apple. That is the right choice.
Just change your lifestyle. It is just a simple decision, yes or no. Just turn the switch. It's easy.
Instead of eating a juicy cheesburger, have a melba toast lettuce wrap. It tastes just as good but it only has 60 calories.
The reason you are fat is because you want to be fat.
Thin people just have more discipline than you do. You are weak and you need to be stronger. It's all a matter of will power. Thin people have more will power. The thinner the person, the more the will power. There is no other explanation.
Instead of two scoops of baskin robbins ice cream, have 4 oz of blue berries. It tastes just as good but it only has 90 calories.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
so should i just quit or not?
I, personally, couldn't care less. We've tried help you and your response was to be combative and insufferable. Do whatever the hell you want, because it doesn't make any difference to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
TJ,
Did you keep you appointment with the counselor last Thursday? What he or she said is relevant to providing an answer to your question.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:18 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
I don't think it's possible to "quit" something if you've never really started it to begin with. it's clear you never really tired to diet (baconators and krispy kremes, "only two slices of cake?) or exercise (for fear of developing a unwomanly muscle or something)

Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
TJ,
Did you keep you appointment with the counselor last Thursday? What he or she said is relevant to providing an answer to your question.
it didnt go well. basically she told me to start thinking of food as fuel and recommend i check out several books about food addiction. i havent been to an libary in ages

also she suggsted that everyone else get involvd in exercise or else our health is going to go downhill. again my dr is suggesting appetite pills so i will stop eating and get the weight off.

of course no one wants to follw along with the treatment i wish sometimes my mouth was wired shut maybe then i can lose some Moderator cut: language removed weight for once

people here are very cruel biggest reason why i hate this forum

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-15-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss