Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should i quit??
Yes 7 28.00%
No 17 68.00%
Maybe 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,609 times

Advertisements

Over the months it has been obvious that i am nevre going to get to my goal weight. there are just certain things that i cannot give up. and the times that I have tried to eat healhy i just cant deal with the hunger especially at night when I am trying to go to slep it hard to be hungry and fall asleep.

recently i have injued myself and am unable to exercise. as well as the eexercise is starting to a take a toll on my body all this and still no result exept a sore aching body

so should i just quit or not?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Let's assume you've followed all conventional advice. You still aren't at your goal weight. And, It's 69 times harder to maintain a goal weight than it is to achieve a goal weight.

What is more unhealthy?

Agonizing to get to your goal weight - a weight that you are extremely unlikely to maintain,

or

Being a little overweight?

There are psychological consequences to depriving yourself. There are psychological consequences to repeatedly failing. Consider lowering your standards and enjoying life. Being a little overweight and being happy are not mutually exclusive.

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be "good enough".

Realize about 97% of people are either fat, thin, or temporarily thin (they don't keep it off). Very few people are fat for a long time, lose weight and keep it all off.

If being thin is the only thing that makes a person happy, then they have bigger problems than keeping the weight off.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 PM

668 posts, read 2,188,136 times
Never give up on life!!
People will fight for that last breath... They refuse to give up on life...

For you to just 'quit', because you havent attain your goal, is only a 'slight setback'.
As long as you have life, then you have a chance to improve your life.

When you change your 'eating habits', just to accomplish a goal, then your setting yourself up to fail.

You have to 'want' to eat the things that are healthy for you. If not, then you may as well have not started the 'diet' in the first place.

Now, lets take that word... Diet. Its a finite thing. You set your goal, you meet it, then you quit. WRONG!!
What your doing is a 'life change'. Eat the things that will make you happy, but, in moderation.
You can include a few things here or there, that are healthy and you 'like'. Try new tastes and sensations in food. Try them in different ways...
Eggs, poached, boiled, scrambled, omlet, overeasy, deviled...So many different variations to one simple thing, but, each can be an exciting taste treat to the eyes and tastebuds.

There are so many different things that you havent tried, that are out there... Low calories, great taste, and pleasing to the eyes, to be giving up on a new way of life.

I am partially disabled myself. I go to the YMCA to exercise in order to lose weight. I have been exercising for two years, and only lost 15 pounds, til I found out my 'weakness and downfall'.
I am used to drinking a lot of 'sweet tea, and kool aide'. I found that I have finally 'passed' the muscle/fat barrier that I have worked long and hard to achieve. How? I replaced the tea and koolaide with water! The 'sugar' was feeding my muscles, so that they were burning it, and not burning the fat.
Once I stopped feeding them with the sucrose, then, they had to find food elsewhere, and, I started buring the fat, losing a total of 33 pounds now. I havent changed my eating habit, but, that one thing, changed the way I drink now.
Now, recently, I have had a lung infection, and have missed the gym for almost 2 months!! Am I giving up? Nope, Im waiting for them to clear up so I can restart my mission in life, to get as healthy as I can.

When you give up on yourself, then your giving up on everyone. People depend on you, rely on you, love you and are comfortable that you are in thier lives and wouldnt be complete with out you.
You 'owe' it to them to be the best you can be. To lead a fullfilling life to the fullest, and drag those who lag behind, kicking and screaming with you

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Just because you are on a diet does not mean you have to be hungry. You need to learn what you can eat and still be making healthy choices. Weight Watchers is great for that because they teach you to eat a variety of foods and prepare you for any situation.
Losing weight takes time and effort. It does not happen over night. It is fine to have a goal but try and keep it out of a time frame. Instead make small goals you can achieve along the way. Nothing will derail you faster than thinking you are supposed to lose 'x' amount of weight in 'x' amount of time.
Find things you can do to move your body that you enjoy or at least can tolerate.
And losing weight is a joyous feeling and not only does it bolster self esteem and confidence it makes one feel fantastic. If you cannot be happy about yourself when you wake up in the morning then nothing will make you truly happy. Losing weight is THE greatest gift you can give yourself.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Over the months it has been obvious that i am nevre going to get to my goal weight. there are just certain things that i cannot give up. and the times that I have tried to eat healhy i just cant deal with the hunger especially at night when I am trying to go to slep it hard to be hungry and fall asleep.

recently i have injued myself and am unable to exercise. as well as the eexercise is starting to a take a toll on my body all this and still no result exept a sore aching body

so should i just quit or not?

I lost the majority of my weight without exercise. Something I noticed was every time I lost a few I would get a burst of hunger. I tried to tough it out and improve my nutrition. It does settle down when you body stops freaking out. At times I did take hunger control pills if my multivitamin was not doing it. But that was only every once in awhile. I don't think you cant take those things though with a high BP. Same with vitamins..check which ones you can take.

I also like to eat before bed. I threw that no eating after 7 rule out the window. I just spread my calories over the day.

It took me a couple years of trying different things to find what healthy thin habits worked for my personality. I also think its a MILLION times more uncomfortable to lose weight than maintain it. When you go to maintain you increase your intake a bit and its a great relief. I did that periodically as well through my loss periods when I just couldn't take the decreased intake anymore. So if I lost 20 lbs and was always hungry I just worked on maintaining that loss and reduced again when I felt comfortable. It took me a couple years to get to my goal weight doing this but I don't have loose skin, have kept it off for years now, and don't seem to have a slowed metabolism.
I take off periods from exercise and never have to exercise like mad to stay where I am at. I just tailor my eating to my activity level.

A key in restricted eating too is to be consistent with the calories if you are always hungry. That means spread them through the entire day and do not have any dramatic swings of one day 1200 calories and another day 1800 calories. Also eat a lot of high volume low calorie foods like veggies.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
You haven't done all you can do, you have chosen to intentionally ignore advice of people here, and your own doctor. You are morbidly obese and have high blood pressure, and you're not even 20 years old yet. You live on state assistance, don't earn a dime, live with your family, and make excuses as to why you can't do this or that or the other thing.

I say just give up. You don't want to work to get to where you need to be, medically. You're not willing to make the effort. You expend more energy complaining about why you can't do it, than you'd need to take to actually succeed.

Give up.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,973,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You haven't done all you can do, you have chosen to intentionally ignore advice of people here, and your own doctor. You are morbidly obese and have high blood pressure, and you're not even 20 years old yet. You live on state assistance, don't earn a dime, live with your family, and make excuses as to why you can't do this or that or the other thing.

I say just give up. You don't want to work to get to where you need to be, medically. You're not willing to make the effort. You expend more energy complaining about why you can't do it, than you'd need to take to actually succeed.

Give up.
Absolutely well said. I ask you guys who initially responded to take a look at TreasuredJewels posting history where you will see she was given pages and pages of VERY good advice to set her on her way to achieve her goals, but instead of following the advice, she chose to ignore it and argue with those who gave the advice. Saying things like "Oh I feel sorry for people like you who never eat Wendys Baconators or glazed doughnt cheeseburgers...." or something like that, then going on a rampage in attacking those who give her the advice calling them "skeletons" and not having sexy "booty" like she has. Posting history says a lot.

I too say you should give up. Its obvious that you are happier with where you are now, and eating right (i.e., HEALTHY) makes you unhappy, and exercise makes you unhappy. You should just live out your life with your high blood pressure meds and obesity, if that is what makes you happy. If and when you come around and decide to take control of your health, and stop the obesity pattern that has plagued your family for generations, and become comitted to improving yourself, you know you can come back here and we'll be once again happy to give you the blueprint to losing weight, getting healthy, and getting fit. But until then, just enjoy your 2-3 baconators, bacon, sausage, fried chicken, glazed doughnuts and ice cream breakfasts until you realize you need to make a change.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,094 times
HEY! I love myself the occasional baconator!

<3,
118/size0-2

I see a lot of idealistic advice thrown down which usually never works in practice as well as it does in theory. I also know having a high BP can make one irritable. And telling 18 year old what to do...when has that ever worked in anything? 2% of the time it actually sinks in?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,723,191 times
Hey, I still don't think you're a real poster and I think this poll is your latest attempt to see if you can generate 700+ posts, but...since you're asking, I say you should just quit.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,435,704 times
If you have an injury try swimming and exercizing in water. Look around for an aquacize class. I've read a few of your posts here and there, and it does seem like you're set on eating a lot of unhealthy food. Only you can control that, but don't give up altogether. Odds are if you do that, you won't stay the same weight, but will just keep getting bigger and bigger. You absolutely don't want that. Make whatever little changes you can, and as someone said, when you're ready to really make a change, you have lots of good advice you've been given. You can look back on it anytime. But please decide you are not going to gain any more weight, ever, not a pound. You'll just be digging yourself a bigger hole to get out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss