Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,446,382 times

Advertisements

I personally don't see the logic of not starting an exercise program with the diet change, but to each their own. Any time you hit a stoppage, it's just your bodies way of saying step it up, which translates to start exercising in this case..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 03:36 PM

275 posts, read 775,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I personally don't see the logic of not starting an exercise program with the diet change, but to each their own. Any time you hit a stoppage, it's just your bodies way of saying step it up, which translates to start exercising in this case..
Well, it may or may not make sense for others but we wanted to try it this way. The last time my husband lost a huge amount of weight, he was on a diet and in an exercise program. He hit the plateau after 50lbs and no matter what he tried he could not move the needle. He tried exercising more, eating less, eating more etc... nothing worked. He got discouraged after 3 weeks and gave up. With current diet, he lost the first 50 lbs without any exercise at all. Starting the exercise program now gives him a chance to have a major change which in turn I believe will make him start losing again. I know it is not scientific but we'll see if it works

Old 12-16-2011, 03:58 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
A plateau is when you do not lose any weight for about 3 or 4 weeks in a row. When you lose a large amount of weight fast it takes time for your body to adjust. Sometimes if you lose a lot one week, no matter what you eat or how much you exercise you may not lose any the next.
Please do not get discouraged and quit. Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to losing weight. Exercise is the most important part because not only does it help you lose the weight it makes you HEALTHIER.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
Well, it may or may not make sense for others but we wanted to try it this way. The last time my husband lost a huge amount of weight, he was on a diet and in an exercise program. He hit the plateau after 50lbs and no matter what he tried he could not move the needle. He tried exercising more, eating less, eating more etc... nothing worked. He got discouraged after 3 weeks and gave up. With current diet, he lost the first 50 lbs without any exercise at all. Starting the exercise program now gives him a chance to have a major change which in turn I believe will make him start losing again. I know it is not scientific but we'll see if it works
hey, as long as it works for you both, that's all that really matters
I personally preferred the other way because I was increasing muscle/decreasing fat while still losing weight from the calorie restrictions. I'm also a firm believer that all the running outside, especially in the summer, helped keep my skin from sagging, but that's another argument in another thread...

Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,738,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Actually its normal for the body to pause during loss. Exercise or not it usually does happen after someone loses 25-50 pounds. If you are not losing for a couple months then you must make more changes.

I personally had to go lower carb when I had a high body fat. Now that I am leaner I usually eat regular carb levels. But at a high body fat it just seemed to take FOREVER to lose sometimes on regular carbs. I am slightly more active too but nothing extreme enough to cancel out the carb intake.

Knowing lower carb is good because if you get to the point where I am at, its a nice way to cut back in a healthy way if you had an indulgence spree like the holidays can bring on. Or if you get injured and can't workout a lower carb diet can help keep you lean more easily in a healthy way.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:06 AM

275 posts, read 775,113 times
I think I can try low carb because I am currently eating more carbs than protein but my husband is already on pretty low carb diet. I just can't wait for this holiday season to be over with. It is so difficult to stay away from temptation. Part of the problem probably has to do with this. I am currently home so I do ok but my husband's work place is cake and cookies everyday for the last couple of weeks

Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 AM

Definitely lower the carbs and up the protein. That's much better fuel for burning, especially the fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss