Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM

9,022 posts, read 13,890,304 times

Advertisements

I know most people talk about diet for losing weight,but the key for me was increased activity.

I guess I was not moving enough.
I think if most people just exercised more than the weight could be controlled with a moderate calorie reduction.
For me,even if I ate a whole pizza but exercised that day I would still lose weight.
Which brings me to the next think,depravation diets like Atkins doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,852,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know most people talk about diet for losing weight,but the key for me was increased activity.

I guess I was not moving enough.
I think if most people just exercised more than the weight could be controlled with a moderate calorie reduction.
For me,even if I ate a whole pizza but exercised that day I would still lose weight.
Which brings me to the next think,depravation diets like Atkins doesn't work.
Exercise by itself doesn't work for me though--this past year I've gotten a lot of exercise and have gained weight from the sugar binging. I think that I will lose weight effortlessly though with that gone--I have before and wasn't even exercising then.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,816,477 times
You can do all the exercise you want. Long term it will do squat. Nothing. Zilch.
You CAN NOT increase your Energy Out (physical activity) without increasing your Energy In (eating).

We should all get regular exercise for health reasons. Cardio for your cardiovascular system and weighlifting for building muscle, bone mass, etc. But if your goal is to lose weight, they only thing that will work LONG TERM is to change your EATING HABITS. No one want to hear the truth, but there it is.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM

525 posts, read 765,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And so, we should take the word of Arya Sharma, who you recommend further in your post - and who is, supposedly, a scientist (that's what doctors ARE). Because people like him, don't understand obesity. Even though, Arya Sharma is the head of an obesity research group, a professor of nutrition science, and a nutritionist. He's about as "scientific" of a scientist with regards to nutrition and obesity as you can get. But you say science doesn't actually understand obesity. But we should read his stuff because it's good.

Guess what: Dr. Arya Sharma says that diets DO work, and exercise DOES work, in helping people lose weight. Read your own recommended reading, dood. You'll be astounded at what you learn.
You have no idea what you are talking about on the subhect of body weight regulation and morbid obesity.

And Dr. Sharma is ON MY SIDE- Razwell.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:08 PM

525 posts, read 765,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And so, we should take the word of Arya Sharma, who you recommend further in your post - and who is, supposedly, a scientist (that's what doctors ARE). Because people like him, don't understand obesity. Even though, Arya Sharma is the head of an obesity research group, a professor of nutrition science, and a nutritionist. He's about as "scientific" of a scientist with regards to nutrition and obesity as you can get. But you say science doesn't actually understand obesity. But we should read his stuff because it's good.

Guess what: Dr. Arya Sharma says that diets DO work, and exercise DOES work, in helping people lose weight. Read your own recommended reading, dood. You'll be astounded at what you learn.
BODY WEIGHT IS NOT UNDER CONSCIOUS CONTROL. All we control is to stay at the lower end of our set points- about a 10 pound range less.

OUR BODY WEIGHTIS INVOLUNTARILY CONTROLLED BY NEURAL CIRCUITRY, INTERACTING WITH GUT HORMONES, AND GUT MICROBIOTA.

EXTREMELY COMPLEX HOMEOSTATIC INVOLUNTARY SYSTEM

I AM ON VERY FIRM SCIENTIFIC GROUND.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
Rick Santos go away already. You have nothing of value to offer.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
BODY WEIGHT IS NOT UNDER CONSCIOUS CONTROL. All we control is to stay at the lower end of our set points- about a 10 pound range less.

OUR BODY WEIGHTIS INVOLUNTARILY CONTROLLED BY NEURAL CIRCUITRY, INTERACTING WITH GUT HORMONES, AND GUT MICROBIOTA.

EXTREMELY COMPLEX HOMEOSTATIC INVOLUNTARY SYSTEM

I AM ON VERY FIRM SCIENTIFIC GROUND.
If you are on firm scientific ground would you please post the peer reviewed studies that support your position? And that does not include your junk science idols.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
You can do all the exercise you want. Long term it will do squat. Nothing. Zilch.
You CAN NOT increase your Energy Out (physical activity) without increasing your Energy In (eating).

We should all get regular exercise for health reasons. Cardio for your cardiovascular system and weighlifting for building muscle, bone mass, etc. But if your goal is to lose weight, they only thing that will work LONG TERM is to change your EATING HABITS. No one want to hear the truth, but there it is.
I guess that works for some people.

But for me,when I eat 1700 calories and don't exercise,I don't lose.

If I eat 2500 calories but exercise,I lose. I don't know why that's seems to work for me,but it does.

When I ate 1200 calories amd exercise,I lose.

Everyone says exercise makes you hungry,but I'm the opposite. It seems to supress my appetite up to 5 hours after I finish exercising.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I guess that works for some people.

But for me,when I eat 1700 calories and don't exercise,I don't lose.

If I eat 2500 calories but exercise,I lose. I don't know why that's seems to work for me,but it does.

When I ate 1200 calories amd exercise,I lose.

Everyone says exercise makes you hungry,but I'm the opposite. It seems to supress my appetite up to 5 hours after I finish exercising.
You should eat something every three to four hours. Small healthy snacks like fruit, nuts, yogurt... will help you maintain a reasonable food intake. Waiting longer than that to eat whether hungry or not tends to make people over eat at regular meals. Plus you body has a constant source of fuel to burn which makes it more efficient.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You should eat something every three to four hours. Small healthy snacks like fruit, nuts, yogurt... will help you maintain a reasonable food intake. Waiting longer than that to eat whether hungry or not tends to make people over eat at regular meals. Plus you body has a constant source of fuel to burn which makes it more efficient.
I was responding to the post that said "you can't increase your energy output without increasing your energy input".

That doesn't make sense. If you eat back all you have burned up in exercise,you will gain weight.

I never could understand why some say if you burn ,say,500 calories on the treadmill that you can increase your calories by 500 for that day.
if that was the case,I could have just skipped the exercise and
not eat the 500 extra calories.

I don't increase my calories if I exercise for that day. I just eat 1500 calories for that day and burn the 500 cal. That brings me to 1000 cal intake for that day.

Eating every 3 to 4 hours doesn't work at all for me. Id rather eat once or twice a day and get going. Its just simpler for my lifestyle(intermittent fasting)

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 02-01-2012 at 06:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss