Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times

Advertisements

To find out what worked for them read here:

Best Diet Tips | Losing Weight - Consumer Reports

Last edited by elnina; 01-03-2012 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Copyright! Deleted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
weight watchers works for me, always has. I have lost 42 lbs so far.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 PM

525 posts, read 761,714 times
DON'T DIET . NEVER, NEVER, NEVER DIET. Dieting is a failure, and science has demonsrtrated SOUNDLY it does NOT work. Body weight is actively defended against . The ADIPOSTAT.

SCIENCE does NOT support ANYTHING the commercial weight loss industry frauds do.

Dieting is a wrong headed methodology based on a very poor understanding of what obesity is. The success rate of dieting after a decade? 1%

Science does not actually understand obesity that well.

Our body weight is NOT under conscious control for the most part. We ONLY choose to be about 10 pounds less, the lower end of our setpoints.That is all we "control"

Body weight is extremely complex and regulated over YEARS - LONG TERM

LONG TERM, eating nutrient dense and exercise do NOT affect body weight much. Eating well and exercising are for HEALTH MAINTENANCE NOT weight loss.

There are PLENTY of dedicated obese poeple eatin well and exercising. it does NOT treat morbid obesity effectively, nor cure it.

MUCH MORE needs to be learned about fat cell regulation.

Dr. Arya Sharma is a good place to EDUCATE yourselves about the hellishly complex subject of obesity

Old 01-03-2012, 07:33 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
All the popular diets work. All will only work while you are on them, and then you will gain the weight back plus more. What works is, everything in moderation and portion control. My doctor once told me that we need 10% fewer calories for every decade of our lives just to stay even.
I weigh more than I should, and I know I could take it off, since I have before, but I also know that after hundreds of dollars and months of work, I will gain it back.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
DON'T DIET . NEVER, NEVER, NEVER DIET. Dieting is a failure, and science has demonsrtrated SOUNDLY it does NOT work. Body weight is actively defended against . The ADIPOSTAT.

SCIENCE does NOT support ANYTHING the commercial weight loss industry frauds do.

Dieting is a wrong headed methodology based on a very poor understanding of what obesity is. The success rate of dieting after a decade? 1%

Our body weight is NOT under conscious control for the most part. We ONLY choose to be about 10 pounds less, the lower end of our setpoints.That is all we "control"

LONG TERM, eating nutrient dense and exercise do NOT affect body weight much. Eating well and exercising are for HEALTH MAINTENANCE NOT weight loss.

There are PLENTY of dedicated obese poeple eatin well and exercising. it does NOT treat morbid obesity effectively, nor cure it.

Dr. Arya Sharma is a good place to EDUCATE yourselves about the hellishly complex subject of obesity
I don't agree, I think weight watchers is terrific, it's not a diet it's a way of life.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:

Peer reviewed evidence please.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All the popular diets work. All will only work while you are on them, and then you will gain the weight back plus more. What works is, everything in moderation and portion control. My doctor once told me that we need 10% fewer calories for every decade of our lives just to stay even.
I weigh more than I should, and I know I could take it off, since I have before, but I also know that after hundreds of dollars and months of work, I will gain it back.
Or you could stay on one. I don't find it particularly difficult to maintain my low carb regimen to control my weight.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don't agree, I think weight watchers is terrific, it's not a diet it's a way of life.
I think they key thing is picking a "diet" that is a permanent lifestyle.

Most people can't be "low carb/atkins" forever. You need to follow a plan that is based in your reality.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think that is just due to natural muscle mass loss. Everyone has to find their own calorie threshold a bit. The leaner you are the more you need. I also think its partially because the body is known to develop up until 35 (bones and brain) but after 35 everyone starts to need less because our bodies stop doing that and also our hormones change. Less testosterone = softer body, less likely to put on lean tissue and more likely to gain weight due to being less metabolically active. Just random blabbing thoughts about that one.

______

Whats worked for me is trying everything and finding what I liked.
I like some low carb recipes I picked up along the way and also of a way of eating if I went overboard the night before. Hands down though my favorite is counting calories and is a core principal in all "diets". Knowing calories and basic nutrition makes it easier to eat smart while enjoying yourself.

I think its also important to know how you should eat if you can't workout.
I see that problem for a lot of dieters. They get an injury or burnt out and quit exercising but eat like they are still exercising. This leads to gaining and quitting or the dreaded yo yo.

Its good to keep your self in check by 10 lbs. If you let it go beyond that...it can snowball. When gains happen you should review the why and be totally honest and make comfortable small changes to prevent the problem.

If you are not totally honest and blunt with yourself in weight loss...it will be hard to keep it off. For example...you want a cookie...ask yourself why...and then ask yourself if its worth it and what the consequences of that cookie will be. If you have room in your day for a cookie...chomp away. If you already ate all you should for the day, review your diet and figure out why you want a cookie when you don't need it and it will hinder your progress. Figure out if its you need more daily calories, more fiber, more carbs, more protien, more food spread evenly through the day, emo eating? (etc)
Address that issue and come up with a solution you put into action. Don't put it off.

And for activity whats worked for me is to not be a slave to one method. My goal is just to keep moving. So I try new things all the time. There are so many ways to stay active. It doesn't mean you have to plug time into the gym.

Last edited by Opsimathia; 01-04-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:

And so, we should take the word of Arya Sharma, who you recommend further in your post - and who is, supposedly, a scientist (that's what doctors ARE). Because people like him, don't understand obesity. Even though, Arya Sharma is the head of an obesity research group, a professor of nutrition science, and a nutritionist. He's about as "scientific" of a scientist with regards to nutrition and obesity as you can get. But you say science doesn't actually understand obesity. But we should read his stuff because it's good.

Guess what: Dr. Arya Sharma says that diets DO work, and exercise DOES work, in helping people lose weight. Read your own recommended reading, dood. You'll be astounded at what you learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss