Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times

Advertisements

Very well!

I never make stupid resolutions! ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,090,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Im doing really great so far. I have always eaten exactly what I needed to fuel my body properly for what I want/need it to do, but my big weakness was beer.

I love beer. LOVE IT!! So far, its been very easy to not have any. Its as simple as dont have it in the house. Should be this easy for every food item that people need to stay away from. Last beer was Thanksgiving.
I agree with this. If it's not in the house, I don't eat it and I won't make a special trip to go and get it because then I feel like a fat ass and a failure.

My weakness is whoppers...I know it's total sugar and crap but once a month (yup, around THAT time) I get this wicked craving for them. I make a point not to buy them and then I don't worry about raiding the box!

I didn't vow to cut out any foods in particular, just up the veggies, replace some coffee with water and stop the picking. I tend to pick a lot and skip all meals but dinner...3 pretzels here, half a banana there, a yogurt...and then I have no idea what I've eaten for the day and it's usually more than I should have eaten.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM

14,565 posts, read 23,092,798 times
Pretty good. I've managed to lose what weight I gained during the previous year and now I'm actually making brand new progress. Running a massive calorie deficit sucks balls, but the weight comes off quickly.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,672,611 times
I try not to start a resolution, too much pressure, I try to cut back Mon -Fri and have the weekends to eat more carefree.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,090,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Pretty good. I've managed to lose what weight I gained during the previous year and now I'm actually making brand new progress. Running a massive calorie deficit sucks balls, but the weight comes off quickly.
LOL, I'd have to agree! All in good health though.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I try not to start a resolution, too much pressure, I try to cut back Mon -Fri and have the weekends to eat more carefree.
Let us know how that works out for you. I'm skeptical about programs where folks splurge regularly (like every weekend). Plus on weekdays, most people are sitting on their butts in front of a computer screen burning relatively few calories. Why not just eat sensibly as well as exercise every day?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Let us know how that works out for you. I'm skeptical about programs where folks splurge regularly (like every weekend). Plus on weekdays, most people are sitting on their butts in front of a computer screen burning relatively few calories. Why not just eat sensibly as well as exercise every day?
I have a hard time buying into this way of eating as well. It is so much easier to eat in moderation every day then to allow yourself to 'splurge' on the weekends.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have a hard time buying into this way of eating as well. It is so much easier to eat in moderation every day then to allow yourself to 'splurge' on the weekends.
Kind of like alcoholics who only do "a little social drinking" on weekends.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 PM

14,565 posts, read 23,092,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Actually, there have been some studies that show that incorporating things like cheat meals and free days into a diet can help long term adherence and promote slightly greater weight loss. This is especially true on cyclic ketogenic diets. The problem is that one must still practice self control as some mistake this as the green light to gorge themselves on unhealthy foods.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually, there have been some studies that show that incorporating things like cheat meals and free days into a diet can help long term adherence and promote slightly greater weight loss. This is especially true on cyclic ketogenic diets. The problem is that one must still practice self control as some mistake this as the green light to gorge themselves on unhealthy foods.
I think it is important to be able to eat what one wants occasionally. As long as that person can get back into the routine of their diet, whatever it may be. But the idea that every weekend is an 'anything goes' food wise is faulty. Not too many people are able to go from two whole days of no restrictions to 5 days of restrictions. There is a very slippery slope when it comes to food. Ask any successful dieter who has lost weight and they will tell you its wind over matter. Its also very hard to get into that mind mode to begin with. For a lot of dieters one slip up and they lose that mode. Thats why so many people start and fail.
On the other hand if this five on and two off works for some people who am I to judge? I just do not think it is the best model to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss