Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
What kind of people are you people hanging out with where they put so much pressure on you to eat? This just blows my mind.

For me there is NEVER any social pressure to eat. NEVER!!! Even if you hang out with the fatties who try to force food to you and try to make you feel bad if you refuse, you should be strong enough and have enough personal integrity and dignity to decline and not feel bad for it.

Again, I FEEL ZERO SOCIAL PRESSURE TO EAT. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA. NYET. NONE!!!
Well ya know Lao, considering what you have to say about fat people on here, you probably don't have a lot of fatties hanging around you. Jes sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber1964 View Post
In my opinion...yes! There is a whole lot of social pressure to eat. The restaurant and food industry is big industry. American culture is centered around food. When people go traveling knowing the best spots to eat is always somewhere near the top of the list. Another factor is in the culture which one was raised.I know here in Louisiana food is a big part of life here. Certain ethnic restaurants restaurants tend to give you a whole lot of food. Think of all the cities a lot are known for their food. Our holidays are based on food..4th of july, thanksgiving, halloween, christmas etc. Our TV is loaded with fast food commercials and ads. Food is just everywhere you look. Being pressured and choosing a decision are two different things.Yes there is a lot social pressure to eat, but you choose to not eat whatever is being offered.
One thing I have noticed is that people will be talking about a great restaurant and the first thing they'll mention is not how good the food is, but how big the portions are like that's the only thing that's important. There is a certain restaurant in MO where they throw the rolls to you and the portions are gigantic so even though I like their food, I won't eat there anymore b/c after I've eaten a throwed roll, I'm full and then there's dinner and all the pass-arounds.

Anyway, I'm making MO sound pretty bad, but I noticed when I visited MA a few years ago I saw a lot of overweight people there too and all along the way, so I don't think we're unique.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
I know feeling pressure is not the same as succumbing to it. Point Im trying to make is there is no need for anyone who is an adult and capable of making their own decisions to FEEL like there is pressure. If people are like "Oh me oh my, I am being pressured by people to eat things" or "Oh goodness, I feel so much pressure to eat the doughnuts that Big belly Bertha brought to the office" then it becomes more of a mental issue. Point is, people should NOT feel pressure by this. They just should not. So, again, I reiterate, one should not feel pressure, and one should definitely not succumb to it.

I reject Ambers post above where she say when people go traveling they usually have eating/eating locations at the top of their list. Well, I take that back, people who are NOT into healthy/fitness lifestyles may but me, the top of my list is usually things to do, things to see. NOT places to eat.
When I travel I LOVE to find good places to eat. That is part of the fun. And I am into fitness and health. I also scope out places to run and hike or use the gym facility. Food is a wonderful part of life. I am not giving it up because of my fitness goals. Nor should anyone. Moderation and common sense. The all or nothing attitude is crippling for a lot of people.
If it is so easy not to succumb to poor food choices why are there so many obese people?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
I know feeling pressure is not the same as succumbing to it. Point Im trying to make is there is no need for anyone who is an adult and capable of making their own decisions to FEEL like there is pressure. So, again, I reiterate, one should not feel pressure, and one should definitely not succumb to it.

I reject Ambers post above where she say when people go traveling they usually have eating/eating locations at the top of their list. Well, I take that back, people who are NOT into healthy/fitness lifestyles may but me, the top of my list is usually things to do, things to see. NOT places to eat.
The pressure is objective, not subjective. It's just there. Like the weather.

You either are affected by it or not. But it's there. The ads are there, the nagging people are there, the overzealous mother is there.
Let's not let this degenerate into an issue of semantics.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
The question isn't, whether or not you feel pressured. It's whether or not there -is- pressure. As mention in stan4's recent post.

People who don't struggle or even concern themselves with weight or fitness (because they weigh a healthy weight and are already fit), won't generally perceive much pressure at all.

People who -are- trying to watch their own habits, will feel the pressure that already exists. When co-workers chip in for an ice cream cake to celebrate a birthday, you will have an internal dialogue about it. Even worse, will be when that birthday cake is intended for you. You will most certainly feel pressure to have a piece. You might not express it, you might say "oh sure, no problem." Or you might stick to your guns and say "oh, please enjoy it for me, I'm happy just watching you all loving on that chocolate." But that pressure -will- be there, and you -will- feel it.

I never felt any pressure when I was younger, more active, and very fit. But as I got older and my body changed, and my diet didn't change, I was more self-conscious of my own habits. AND I was more aware of how much pressure people put on me to "here, try this" or "the girls are all going out for pizza, wanna come?" It was the same people wanting to include me on the same occasions as always.

So people who struggle or have concern for their health/fitness level will be more cognizant of the exact same pressure they've always had, even when they were unconcerned.

It's no different from losing your main source of income, and being invited to the same dinner parties and golf tournaments and yacht adventures as you were before you lost the income. You were pressured to do these things before, to be with the crowd, to be able to hang out with the group. But you didn't -feel- the pressure, because you had no reason to struggle to keep up, then.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
When I travel I LOVE to find good places to eat. That is part of the fun. And I am into fitness and health. I also scope out places to run and hike or use the gym facility. Food is a wonderful part of life. I am not giving it up because of my fitness goals. Nor should anyone. Moderation and common sense. The all or nothing attitude is crippling for a lot of people.
If it is so easy not to succumb to poor food choices why are there so many obese people?
Thank you. It's obviously not easy for everyone or we'd all have reached our goals by now. And it's not always due to social pressure that we eat--habit and convenience have a lot to do with it too. But I never see my friends and co-workers begging me to dip into this nice veggie tray, unless it's alongside a lunchmeat platter and a bag of potato chips.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I keep returning to this thought and I'm guessing that most people's knee jerk reaction would be no, that there is more pressure to be thin, but I don't think that's so. People are always bringing stuff to work to eat and going out for pizza together and once when I stopped eating sweets--no other dietary changes but that--I had a man ask me when I was going to get off that crazy diet. I have been pressured on numerous occasions to eat some dessert or to get ice cream and people look at me like I'm crazy if I say no. Also, even diabetics aren't taken seriously when they're trying to cut back, which is crazy. It's that old, "C'mon, don't be a stick in the mud--we're all eating it so join us." The amount of candy that the kids get on holidays is insane and the cookies at Christmas and they're so hurt if you won't try them. I have been firm but I feel like I have to avoid people when I'm trying to lose weight and I know it's not just me.

There are some who try to pressure others to eat I happen to not be one of those. I will offer however if someone says no then it is no. I respect their decision not to have a sweet or snack or whatever. I love to cook and I love to eat but I rarely eat sweets and my husband is diabetic so I limit what I have in our home anyway. We also have friends who have dietary restrictions so I always make sure if we are having a gathering I have plenty of choices that will fit different dietary needs.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Oh, no, no, no, no, no...you are NOT going to get away with blaming obesity on peer pressure.

While I will go along with the idea that food is in your face (either by media or by social occasions or whatever) all the time, you cannot blame that for poor choices.

It's like your mother always said, "Would you jump off a bridge, too?"

Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh, no, no, no, no, no...you are NOT going to get away with blaming obesity on peer pressure.

While I will go along with the idea that food is in your face (either by media or by social occasions or whatever) all the time, you cannot blame that for poor choices.

It's like your mother always said, "Would you jump off a bridge, too?"

Yup! That about sums it up. It's all about self control and will power. No one is forcing you to cram food down your throat.

It amazes me who and what ppl will blame for their own doings. Instead of taking control of their eating it's easier to blame others. I guess in some sick way it makes them feel better about themselves.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I keep returning to this thought and I'm guessing that most people's knee jerk reaction would be no, that there is more pressure to be thin, but I don't think that's so. People are always bringing stuff to work to eat and going out for pizza together and once when I stopped eating sweets--no other dietary changes but that--I had a man ask me when I was going to get off that crazy diet. I have been pressured on numerous occasions to eat some dessert or to get ice cream and people look at me like I'm crazy if I say no. Also, even diabetics aren't taken seriously when they're trying to cut back, which is crazy. It's that old, "C'mon, don't be a stick in the mud--we're all eating it so join us." The amount of candy that the kids get on holidays is insane and the cookies at Christmas and they're so hurt if you won't try them. I have been firm but I feel like I have to avoid people when I'm trying to lose weight and I know it's not just me.
No I don't think there is social preassure to eat, but I understand some people eat too much and think others are undereating. Just say no, it's very easy. The problem is not them, it's you, you are not ready to commit to a healthier diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss