Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times

Advertisements

I hear people frequently say its not what you eat,its how much and that if you go over your calorie limit you will gain(calories in vs calories out)

Then I read people who say its not quantity,but quality?

Any timw I wanted to lose weight I restricted my cal and upped the exercise.
But had I known I could eat that much,even if most were veggies,I would have increased my calories instead of starving.

I'm on a 1700 a day calorie restriction,and burn 400 cal at the gym each day,yet I feel like I'm starving(that includes eating 140 grams of protein,which doesn't help with my hunger pains)

I have gone up to 2500 cal as an experiement,but no weight loss occured. Most of the extra food was fruits and veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
No, fruit is high in sugar and 3000cals in fruit and veg will still cause you to gain weight or at least not lose weight.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
No. Not unless you are burning more than you are taking in. 3000 calories is still 3000 calories..doesn't matter where it's coming from.

Get protein with breakfast, lunch and dinner and then with at least 2 snacks. The protein will help with the hunger pangs.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Be sure you are getting enough fat - that is what makes you feel satiated.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
Yes you will gain weight if you consume more calories than you burn.

When people say quality over quantity they don't mean that you can literally pig out on fruits and veggies. They mean you should center most of your diet around veggies and fruits because nutrition wise they often give the most bang for your buck.

Most veggies (and many fruits as well) are not very calorie dense. You would have to eat A LOT of fruits and veggies to get to 3000 calories. Most people would find that difficult to do.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,551 times
ha, try eating 3000 calories worth of celery. lol

Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,276 times
You're feeling like you're starving because you are.

Yayoi is correct.
Lots of fruits and veggies are great but you also need lots of protein and healthy fats. Fish, lean grass fed beef, pasture raised chicken and eggs. These items will satisfy you and keep you fuller longer, plus supply your body with the energy you need as fuel to get through the workouts and repair tissue and recover afterwards.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I hear people frequently say its not what you eat,its how much and that if you go over your calorie limit you will gain(calories in vs calories out)

Then I read people who say its not quantity,but quality?

Any timw I wanted to lose weight I restricted my cal and upped the exercise.
But had I known I could eat that much,even if most were veggies,I would have increased my calories instead of starving.

I'm on a 1700 a day calorie restriction,and burn 400 cal at the gym each day,yet I feel like I'm starving(that includes eating 140 grams of protein,which doesn't help with my hunger pains)

I have gone up to 2500 cal as an experiement,but no weight loss occured. Most of the extra food was fruits and veggies.

When you get tired of this nonsense give low carb a serious try and don't worry about calories.

People on this board will tell you that weight loss is a simple formula of calories in and calories out. And while this might be true in a formulaic sense, focusing solely on caloric intake completely ignores the effect the different types of foods (protein, fat and carbs) have on your body, your blood sugar, your production of insulin and hunger.

If you do a low carb (also called ketogenic diet) right, you will end up eating fewer calories than before, but you will be satisfied and you don't need to count calories. You can eat when you are hungry until you are full. You just won't be as hungry as often. You will also likely see marked improvement not only in weight loss, but also in terms of blood lipid profiles for concerns like heart disease and diabetes.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
You're feeling like you're starving because you are.

Yayoi is correct.
Lots of fruits and veggies are great but you also need lots of protein and healthy fats. Fish, lean grass fed beef, pasture raised chicken and eggs. These items will satisfy you and keep you fuller longer, plus supply your body with the energy you need as fuel to get through the workouts and repair tissue and recover afterwards.
I agree and also a small amount of seeds and nuts is very nutritious and high in protein and good-for-you fat.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
When you get tired of this nonsense give low carb a serious try and don't worry about calories.

People on this board will tell you that weight loss is a simple formula of calories in and calories out. And while this might be true in a formulaic sense, focusing solely on caloric intake completely ignores the effect the different types of foods (protein, fat and carbs) have on your body, your blood sugar, your production of insulin and hunger.

If you do a low carb (also called ketogenic diet) right, you will end up eating fewer calories than before, but you will be satisfied and you don't need to count calories. You can eat when you are hungry until you are full. You just won't be as hungry as often. You will also likely see marked improvement not only in weight loss, but also in terms of blood lipid profiles for concerns like heart disease and diabetes.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Calories still matter on low carb diets. You will not lose on a low carb diet if you are overeating the calories required by your body and activity level.
Been there done that.

I think carb cycling is much easier and more effective as it is easier to maintain and doesn't give the illusion that a low carb diet does. (low carb makes you retain less water due to food which shows up as a lower number on the scale) Plus if you do low carb and try to go off it or just quit you are going to gain easily. You have to wean out of that way of eating. Its not as long of a period of weaning if you do the carb cycle method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss