Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,390,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
The Weston Price Foundation is virulently anti-soy because they are very pro-meat and dairy consumption. They have everything to gain by bashing soy.
However, fermentation of soy does reduce phytate levels.
Here is a snippet of someone else said about soy and mineral absorption:
It is true that soybeans are high in phytates, as are many plant foods such as other beans, grains, nuts and seeds, and it is true that phytates can block the uptake of essential minerals, and particularly zinc. This would be a problem if a person consumed large amounts of phytates; for example, if they ate nothing but soybeans or wheat bran. But the phytic acid levels found in a plant-based diet including a serving or two of soy a day are not high enough to cause mineral absorption problems for most people eating varied diets. Furthermore, when soy products are fermented - as they are in tempeh, miso, and many other soyfoods - phytate levels are reduced to about a third their initial level. Other methods of soy preparation such as soaking, roasting and sprouting also significantly reduce phytate content.
link
First of all, its a very unfair statement to say that Weston A Price is Pro-meat and therefore they are anti-soy.
What exactly do they have to gain by bashing soy? It's not like they are in "kahootz" with all the local dairy farmers and getting kick-backs from their profits. They are anti-soy because soy that's not fermented is not good for you. Bottom line. And they don't fail to mention that fermented soy can actually be beneficial.
They are generally pro-healthy eating and that means presoaking grains, fermenting vegetables and dairy, eating grass-fed meats and raw unpasteurized milk. It has nothing to do with being pro-meat.

Last edited by max's mama; 09-16-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
What exactly do they have to gain by bashing soy? It's not like they are in "kahootz" with all the local dairy farmers and getting kick-backs from their profits.
They are definitely in kahootz with dairy farmers.
The Weston Price Foundation is anti-soy because they are pro "Real Milk."
I don't really "have a dog in this fight."
I eat meat (if rarely) and drink regular or organic milk (pasteurized).
I am all for natural, whole foods and grass-fed beef.
But IMHO, from perusing the site, the Weston Price Foundation is a bit on the kooky side, and they definitely have an agenda and use lawyers to promote it.
Snippet:
Pete Kennedy, a lawyer for the Weston Price Foundation, says that at least eight Pennsylvania farmers who sell raw milk have received warning letters..."
link: pdf file
Quote:
They are generally pro-healthy eating and that means presoaking grains, fermenting vegetables and dairy, eating grass-fed meats and raw unpasteurized milk. It has nothing to do with being pro-meat.
If anything, the Weston Price Foundation may perhaps have an antagonistic relationship with the National Cattleman's Association. However, they are definitely pro-animal product, and anti-soy.
As for kickbacks, I get the impression that the WPF's revenue comes from the dairy industry, but I do not have a cite for that. Probably the various books they publish fund their activities as well.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,390,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
They are definitely in kahootz with dairy farmers.
The Weston Price Foundation is anti-soy because they are pro "Real Milk."
I don't really "have a dog in this fight."
I eat meat (if rarely) and drink regular or organic milk (pasteurized).
I am all for natural, whole foods and grass-fed beef.
But IMHO, from perusing the site, the Weston Price Foundation is a bit on the kooky side, and they definitely have an agenda and use lawyers to promote it.
Snippet:
Pete Kennedy, a lawyer for the Weston Price Foundation, says that at least eight Pennsylvania farmers who sell raw milk have received warning letters..."
link: pdf file

If anything, the Weston Price Foundation may perhaps have an antagonistic relationship with the National Cattleman's Association. However, they are definitely pro-animal product, and anti-soy.
As for kickbacks, I get the impression that the WPF's revenue comes from the dairy industry, but I do not have a cite for that. Probably the various books they publish fund their activities as well.
I don't deny they are anti-soy and pro-omnivore diet.
How about they just think that soy is bad? Is this not possible? Maybe you need to research the work on Weston A Price a little bit better, because WAPF is based on traditional diet and really has nothing to do with "anti-soy, pro-meat" or anything like that.
Raw milk is a controversial topic not to be discussed here, but I definitely think they are not financially as I said in "kahootz" with dairy farmers. In all honesty, they are kind of disgusted with most dairy farms in general. They only promote raw milk and as you know raw milk is not where the money are.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't deny they are anti-soy and pro-omnivore diet.
How about they just think that soy is bad? Is this not possible? Maybe you need to research the work on Weston A Price a little bit better, because WAPF is based on traditional diet and really has nothing to do with "anti-soy, pro-meat" or anything like that.
Raw milk is a controversial topic not to be discussed here, but I definitely think they are not financially as I said in "kahootz" with dairy farmers. In all honesty, they are kind of disgusted with most dairy farms in general. They only promote raw milk and as you know raw milk is not where the money are.
Sure, they probably do just think soy is bad, but those pseudo-scientific articles seem a bit ridiculous.
I know they are into their "wise traditions" and all that good stuff. I think some of their back to basics ideas are fine but there is no way my diet is ever going to be quite that meat-and-potatoes.
I think I've found out all I really need to find.
The vegetarian messageboards can tend to be just as kooky as Weston Price.
As for Weston Price and dairy farmers, any time there are lawyers, there is money some place, but as I said, I don't have a cite for it.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I've tried a lot of different foods but have not had tofu. I think the reason being is I don't really know what to do with it. Sounds like a good recipe that you use. I don't think my S/O would touch it though. He's strictly a meat and potatoes guy. I'll try it though.
I used to drink soy milk to substitute for dairy and I also heard it was good for perimenopause but I started hearing all this bad stuff and decided to go for the almond and hemp beverages instead.
It is difficult to know what to eat and drink.
Tofu is great. It takes on the flavor of whatever you use to cook it with.
When i first started out using tofu, i would saute it with minced garlic cloves, diced onions, add some basil and oregano, a little parsley, anything that sounded good and i had on hand. I would then add several different veggies, whatever sounded good. Brown everything nicely, then put some Braggs on it, and eat. Very good.
For more idea's, try this: tofu.com

You can buy the 'tofu steaks' now, seasoned with garlic and onion, or chili and onion. I tried this before sauteed with a can of crushed basil tomatos, and it was so so so so good!!! lol

A hint for a chewier texture: Freeze it first for several days. Thaw, squeeze out the excess water, and when you cook with it, it will have a more hamburger like consistency. Crumble it or chop and dice it. Your choice. You can make chili with it, and nice thick soups and stews. Your husband would probably scarf it down.

I made chili with it once, a nice giant batch of soup, because i like to freeze portion sizes. My Mom happened to be visiting at the time I made it, and she had a bowl, then another and one more! lol. She is a SAD eater. I told her after she finished what she ate. She gave me a look like a deer caught in headlights, like she ate poison or something. lol. She has since tried more tofu products and soy milk. And she still seems to think that chicken is a vegetable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss