Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times

Advertisements

Confused about what you're supposed to eat? That's because most
nutritional advice comes sources that have sold their souls to the
giant food companies. Even the USDA's Food Guide Pyramid is heavily
influenced by food lobbyists, and it offers lousy nutritional advice
that's decades behind the cutting-edge nutritional principles we now
know to be true. Mike Adams

blessings....Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 11:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
NewAge...whats your thoughts on Soy products....Read alot about the Estrogens in them (not good for us men) and also messing with the Thyroid....

I know you as an Vegan have some interesting thoughts on this...thanks...harry o....

Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 PM

I eat baked Tofu for lunch at work everyday. I bake a big batch of it every Sunday. First I slice it up, marinate it in Braggs Aminos, sprinkle diced garlic & oregano on top, then bake it for about 75 minutes. I love it! It's a great source of protein, and it doesn't make me sleepy all afternoon like eating a veggie stir fry with grains, or eating a sandwich with bread. ( just writing about the sandwhich made me yawn! don't get wrong, I LUV sandwiches...but they do make me sleepy. ) Some weeks, I make a veggie stir fry with tofu and take that to work instead of the baked tofu...though the baked tofu is healthier. I've noticed no ill effects from eating tofu. On rare ocassions my wife cooks something up containg processed tofu turned into fake meat, but we don't eat it very often. I do feel a little weird after eating the heavily processed tofu that goes into fake meats.

blessings...Franco

Old 09-14-2007, 12:45 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
I've tried a lot of different foods but have not had tofu. I think the reason being is I don't really know what to do with it. Sounds like a good recipe that you use. I don't think my S/O would touch it though. He's strictly a meat and potatoes guy. I'll try it though.
I used to drink soy milk to substitute for dairy and I also heard it was good for perimenopause but I started hearing all this bad stuff and decided to go for the almond and hemp beverages instead.
It is difficult to know what to eat and drink.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,522 times
When I was vegan I used to make tofu lasagna all the time. I used a firm tofu and a soft tofu. Put them in the food processor with some Italian seasonings. The consistency comes out a little like ricotta cheese and you use it just like the ricotta. I would do a row of noodles, layer of pasta sauce, tofu mix, sauce, noodles. Man, that was good stuff. There are lots of good things you can do with tofu for people that "think" they don't like it.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 PM

IMO the really cool thing about tofu is the very thing that turns most people off. It's essentially tasteless or at least very bland. The good thing about it being tastless is that with spices and seasoning, you can give it whatever flavor you like best. WeeMadArthur's lasagna is a great example.

Back in the early 80's I had some friends who owned a vegetarian hot springs resort. The cooks at that place worked wonders with tofu. Without knowing in advance that the dish consisted mainly of tofu, 90% of the population would have no idea that they were eating tofu. It tasted that good!

blessings....Franco

Old 09-14-2007, 02:12 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,841 times
My husband has a great thought when it comes to dieting and eating the proper foods, "if it tastes good spit it out" it must be bad for you.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:17 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
NewAge...whats your thoughts on Soy products....Read alot about the Estrogens in them (not good for us men) and also messing with the Thyroid....

I know you as an Vegan have some interesting thoughts on this...thanks...harry o....
Sorry, I'm not New Age, but I can add my 2 cents?

I believe that the only soy products are ok to eat are fermented. Meaning: miso, tempeh etc...
However, products like soy milk and meat/cheese imitations are de-mineralizing and really have nothing good to offer.
Try to browse thru Weston A. Price Foundation.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:52 PM

I would have to agree that the healthiest soy products are the fermented ones mentioned by max's mama.

blessings...Franco

Old 09-16-2007, 02:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Sorry, I'm not New Age, but I can add my 2 cents?

I believe that the only soy products are ok to eat are fermented. Meaning: miso, tempeh etc...
However, products like soy milk and meat/cheese imitations are de-mineralizing and really have nothing good to offer.
Try to browse thru Weston A. Price Foundation.
The Weston Price Foundation is virulently anti-soy because they are very pro-meat and dairy consumption. They have everything to gain by bashing soy.
However, fermentation of soy does reduce phytate levels.
Here is a snippet of someone else said about soy and mineral absorption:
It is true that soybeans are high in phytates, as are many plant foods such as other beans, grains, nuts and seeds, and it is true that phytates can block the uptake of essential minerals, and particularly zinc. This would be a problem if a person consumed large amounts of phytates; for example, if they ate nothing but soybeans or wheat bran. But the phytic acid levels found in a plant-based diet including a serving or two of soy a day are not high enough to cause mineral absorption problems for most people eating varied diets. Furthermore, when soy products are fermented - as they are in tempeh, miso, and many other soyfoods - phytate levels are reduced to about a third their initial level. Other methods of soy preparation such as soaking, roasting and sprouting also significantly reduce phytate content.
link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss