Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM

240 posts, read 586,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity123737 View Post
About 6 months ago had the idea of using Nicotine Lozenges/Gum to help suppressing appetite and using it instead of snacking/overeating, like a coffee etc - Never having smoked daily, only occasionally while drinking in the past, i don't even like it. I know smokers can keep weight off easier as they smoke instead of eating, so it would be an relatively safe short term weight loss. The plan was to use it for a few weeks to a month while dieting- and it has helped a bit with overeating, like taking after food or exercise.

Anyway its now not short term, and I am using about 15 pieces per day, sometimes more, at work and at home - having feeling a bit embarrassed with myself at times for getting into this, I have thrown them out, but I can't seem to last more than a day or two without running out and buying some.

I guess its much safer than smoking - but i want to stop using them long term, I was surprised at how hard it is stop using them completely, so still using for now, but plan to stop.

Just note of caution to non smokers considering using nicotine gum for weight loss or anything else.
Welcome to the world of drug addiction. I am a member, too. Of course it's probably not politically correct to call it drug addiction. I just can't come with better name. Can anyone else.

Another way to lose weight is to drink a quart of whiskey a day. You won't need to eat at all. Those big bellies are the result of people that eat as well as drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity123737 View Post
I find the nicotine is good for concentration and feeling satisfied -

but have not used it for about 8 hours, and experiencing intense cravings - I wonder if I tryed smoking for a while now would it turn into smoking habit since I never smoked daily in my life - I can smoked socially, but never felt like smoking on a daily basis
I really do hope you don't cave to the tobacco companies plan. I am convinced they put something in that gum that REALLY gets you hooked on nicotine.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:41 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Well, I have some experience in the area of being a non-smoker who regularly used the nicotine patch. I did not use it to lose weight....I used it for the stimulative effects.

I used them in small doses (cut up the patch), usually 2-3 days a week, for about 18 months.

UCK, I just stopped using nicotine patches altogether.......I was getting paranoid and really irritable. When I stopped cold-turkey, wow, my anxiety, depression, jitteriness and irritability when through the roof. It has been a while since I stopped.....and when I work out hard I can still taste the rotten nicotine-taste coming into my mouth and my stomach get kinda nauseated. For the first week when I stopped, the nicotine taste was awful and my stomach was really queasy.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, I have some experience in the area of being a non-smoker who regularly used the nicotine patch. I did not use it to lose weight....I used it for the stimulative effects.

I used them in small doses (cut up the patch), usually 2-3 days a week, for about 18 months.

UCK, I just stopped using nicotine patches altogether.......I was getting paranoid and really irritable. When I stopped cold-turkey, wow, my anxiety, depression, jitteriness and irritability when through the roof. It has been a while since I stopped.....and when I work out hard I can still taste the rotten nicotine-taste coming into my mouth and my stomach get kinda nauseated. For the first week when I stopped, the nicotine taste was awful and my stomach was really queasy.
To give you some idea of how potent those patches are. I once had one on and I forgot about it. Don't ask me how anybody could be that stupid. Anyway I had one on and I took a chew of tobacco (3 or 4 times as much nicotine as a cigarette). I was positive I was going to die. I could hear my heart pounding like a trip hammer - absolutely no rhythm whatsoever - it sounded like someone had gone crazy on a drum. So dizzy I couldn't stand up.

It took a minute to realize what had happened. I spit out the tobacco and pulled off the patch and everything returned to normal. Pretty scary.

Of course everyone knows that one drop of PURE nicotine is fatal and it is usually listed in ingredients of bug killer.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:14 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
To give you some idea of how potent those patches are. I once had one on and I forgot about it. Don't ask me how anybody could be that stupid. Anyway I had one on and I took a chew of tobacco (3 or 4 times as much nicotine as a cigarette). I was positive I was going to die. I could hear my heart pounding like a trip hammer - absolutely no rhythm whatsoever - it sounded like someone had gone crazy on a drum. So dizzy I couldn't stand up.

It took a minute to realize what had happened. I spit out the tobacco and pulled off the patch and everything returned to normal. Pretty scary.

Of course everyone knows that one drop of PURE nicotine is fatal and it is usually listed in ingredients of bug killer.

Yikes, I react poorly to nicotine.....the cons very much outweighed the pros.

When I first tried the patch, LOL, I took a whole patch, of the maximum strength, and put it on. Within about 2 or 3 minutes I was feeling sick.....at the 5 minute mark I was feeling VERY sick.

I finally started cutting up the patch into small pieces.....worked better, but I was getting so moody, paranoid and jittery, YUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss