Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,857,290 times

Advertisements

I don't mean is it easier for men, we know that, but I seem to have noticed that men I know that are losing or have lost weight, do so in a much more sensible fashion for the most part than women.

I'm not "huge," but I need to lose weight. I'm female, 35, 5'7, and about 160 to 165 depending on what day I weigh myself.

I'd like to get to 145 at least and see where I stand. I looked thin when I weighed that much and felt good.

However, I have noticed, between when I was working (I've been a SAHM a few years) and at get-togethers, that thin women my age fall into a few camps:

1. The ones that have to TRY to gain weight. I used to be this way.

2. The ones that eat what they want, but that's because they never want to eat. Not me, never has been.

3. What I call the insanely weight-conscious - eat only 3 chunks of fruit and a diet coke at a picnic, jog every morning at 5, etc...

4. The fad dieters. Try the latest fad (South Beach, Low Carb, vegan, etc) and lose a bunch, gain it back later, then try the next fad.

For me, I actually enjoy food. I like meat and veggies too, I enjoy fruits but also like dessert sometimes. I cannot see myself avoiding ALL carbs, or ALL sugars, or ALL meats, etc. I've lost some weight in the past (and regained when I fell off the wagon) by simply being aware of portion sizes, eating more "natural" as opposed to processed foods, etc...and have tried to be more active in many ways...am I on the right track? It seems that despite what some "experts" say, counting calories DOES work.

Men seem to take a better approach - eat a variety of foods, avoid the really bad stuff, and exercise.

Have other CDers noticed this trend or is this localized to my circle? I am in CA, so fad diets probably take hold more heavily here than some other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post

Men seem to take a better approach - eat a variety of foods, avoid the really bad stuff, and exercise.
This is EXACTLY what you should do. Well, this and still watch your calorie intake.

Some examples of "bad" foods that you should avoid:

Soda. ALL soda.
Sugar. This includes white breads that the body treats as sugar. Eat minimum fruit (never more than the USDA recommended daily allowance).
Fast food. ALL fast food. If they have a Drive Thru window, dont eat there.

You do this and exericse vigorously and you WILL reach your goal weight.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I think weight/appearance is less of a loaded issue for men than women, plus, they have a greater muscle percentage, which supposedly makes it easier to burn calories.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
This is EXACTLY what you should do. Well, this and still watch your calorie intake.

Some examples of "bad" foods that you should avoid:

Soda. ALL soda.
Sugar. This includes white breads that the body treats as sugar. Eat minimum fruit (never more than the USDA recommended daily allowance).
Fast food. ALL fast food. If they have a Drive Thru window, dont eat there.

You do this and exericse vigorously and you WILL reach your goal weight.
The soda I've eliminated. I try to drink just water, or if I really really need a "sweet" drink, I use the packets from Crystal Light (and other brands) which seem to work well.

Bread...aaah that's my weakness! Oooh, is that my weakness!

Fast food doesn't happen often, but when it does, since I feel like hell afterwards, I try to stay away.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think weight/appearance is less of a loaded issue for men than women, plus, they have a greater muscle percentage, which supposedly makes it easier to burn calories.
Not true. My husband has hated the way he looked and felt when he was overweight. He has lost about 98 lbs and he does not mind getting dressed up now or buying a suit jacket if he has to. He still has some more to go but it's made a huge difference in how he feels about himself and his outlook on life. I would not say this is true for all men but it's true for my husband. Most men I noticed seem to have a all of their weight in their belly. My BIL has a basketball belly. He looks pregnant LOL. But the rest of him is thinner. He's always huffing and puffing, has trouble getting off the couch because of the belly weight.I just think women express it more on how they look and feel more than men do.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:02 PM

For a short time my husband and I (who are both trying to lose) said any time we're hungry outside of mealtimes, to have sex instead.

The kids kept interrupting...but it was fun to try.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 PM

326 posts, read 704,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
The soda I've eliminated. I try to drink just water, or if I really really need a "sweet" drink, I use the packets from Crystal Light (and other brands) which seem to work well.

Bread...aaah that's my weakness! Oooh, is that my weakness!

Fast food doesn't happen often, but when it does, since I feel like hell afterwards, I try to stay away.

I don't know if artificial sweeteners really solve the problem. The reason why sugar is avoided is because it causes a glucose spike which causes insulin to increase leading to a drop of blood glucose level and hunger...

Well the body still responds the same way to artificial sweeteners as it anticipates sugar - so you don't get the glucose spike, but still get the insulin increase then the drop of blood glucose and again -- hunger

***EDIT
Actually to maybe correct myself - seems the jury is still out on artificial sweeteners and appetite:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19352508
Sucralose and Succharin increase insulin secretion

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21245879
Sucralose does not promote appetite

Among many others

Last edited by Sciameriken; 04-23-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:29 PM

I seem to get less hungry with sucralose, for what its worth.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Well my ex lost 100 lbs when he was 17 by eating nothing but pickles and pizza. There goes that theory.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i dont think so. its genderless. its about eating. it takes running 10 miles to lose 1000 calories. u can take in 3000 calories in 10 minutes at mcdonalds.
u figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss