Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times

Advertisements

I didn't read every post, but hopefully the OP has figured out they are most likely type II and are doing something about it AND they got tested.. Educate yourself, educate yourself, educate yourself is my advice. Just don't totally rely on the Internet. Ask your doctor if they offer any classes.
As far as fast weight loss being bad, it's not always IF you do it the right way and under a doctor's supervision. If the OP can afford it, I would highly recommend weight loss surgery. It's the fastest way to get back to "normal", BUT they will have to work at it. I am still technically type II because you never lose that distinction, but I haven't had any meds since a couple days before my surgery in September 2010 and I now have the internals many athletes would be jealous of.

BTW, the surgery is obviously permanent, but I don't miss the old me one bit and actually consider him dead. I never want to see him again either. It will also completely change your diet without any intervention on your part. I rarely ever eat any meat now and it's only because I no longer like it, at all. Steaks, burgers, hot dogs, lunch meat, anything from turkey, and most foods that contain chicken are just gross now. Seafood is my love now, but it's because I actually want it, not because I know I'm supposed to eat it. It's like your body just fixes itself and does a damn good job of it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,991,765 times
Join SparkPeople.com (it's free) and enter your foods each day into their online daily food journal.

It's very easy to enter the foods. You just look them up in their food database, select the food, enter the quantity, and add it to whatever meal you are recording.

SparkPeople breaks down the food contents for you (calories, protein, fat, carbs, vitamins, minerals, etc.) using their food database, so you can learn exactly what you are eating.

At the end of each day, you can see the totals for calories, fat, carbs, protein, vitamins, minerals, and their percentage breakdown (ex: 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats), as well as a report showing if you are getting enough vitamins and minerals.

SparkPeople also allows you to save the foods you eat the most as "favorites", so you can easily access them, without having to look them up each time.

You can also easily copy a previous days food to the current day, if you eat the same foods again.

SparkPeople's food database was created by the website, and its members, so it contains practically every food you can think of. Any food not presently in the database can be added by any member, and then accessed by everyone.

By tracking your food each day, you will know exactly what you are eating. Otherwise, you are just guessing.

As already mentioned, eliminate junk food and fast food completely. Stay out of McDonalds, etc. Avoid all foods which are deep fried, high in saturated fat, or high in sodium. Fast food is notorious for being unhealthy, but people love to eat it because it tastes good and is cheap, and is readily available everywhere. THAT is the main habit you need to break. Just avoid entering these "crap food" places altogether.

Stop eating cakes, cookies, pastry, pies, ice cream, candy, and anything else which is high in saturated fat and refined sugar. Instead, eat fresh fruit or yogurt, whenever you desire something sweet.

Eat around 6 small sized meals a day instead of the usual 3 large ones. Try to keep you meal sizes to around 200 - 300 calories each while you are trying to lose weight.

I recommend preparing your own meals, and bringing healthy food with you every time you go out. I personally carry a small nylon cooler with a freezer pack, and fill it with healthy foods, such as fresh fruit, yogurt, fat free turkey breast sandwich on whole wheat, almonds, baby carrots, etc.

Drink lots of water ... all day long.

Work with your doctor, to make sure he/she agrees with all changes you are making to your diet. You might also consider going to a nutritionist.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-27-2012 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,720,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. As an emergency medicine physician, I know all about withdrawal symptoms. Opiate withdrawal is not life-threatening, btw. Etoh and benzo withdrawal can be. Very few drugs (including rx drugs) have life-threatening withdrawal symptoms. They may be unpleasant, but not life-threatening. Sorry to burst your google medical degree bubble.

Sugar is not a drug that will kill you if you go cold turkey. Besides, there is sugar in other sources of healthy food, like fruit. What we're talking about is refined carbs.

I don't see why anyone who finally realizes that they have been poisoning themselves for years would want to waste time to slowly stop poisoning themselves. Frankly, I think your way allows too much rationalization of choices and backsliding.

You burst nothing. It does not say opiates will kill you in that linked information.

I didn't say no sugar will kill you either. But if you have a blood sugar condition as the OP said they may a drastic diet change could send you into diabetic shock.

Diabetic Shock and Insulin Reactions: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments

"Several things can cause hypoglycemia. Your blood sugar level could be low if you:

Become more physically active than usual
Miss a meal
Change when or how much you normally eat
Take your insulin or medication at a different time than usual
Drink alcohol excessively without eating"

So all those people saying drastic change...wise up. Including you doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss