Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I wake up at 7 am and leave the house at 8 am. I work from 9 am until 9 pm every day (except Sunday, when I work from noon to 7 pm). I leave work at 9 pm and get home at 10 pm and prepare and eat dinner. I go to bed at midnight and wake up again at 7 am (7 hours of sleep). On Sunday I sleep until 10 am because I desperately need to catch up, and then I get ready for work and leave at 11 am. On Sunday my husband takes me out to eat after we close the shop at 7 pm and I usually get home at 9:30 - 10:00 pm which is when I do my laundry, housework, etc. And then I go to bed at 11:30 so I can get a little more sleep because Monday is a very busy day at work. I do not get any lunch hours or breaks when I am working.

Perhaps now you see my dilemma.

20yrsinBranson
Not really. If you wanted to fit it in you could. It just is not a priority for you. Believe me if you want to exercise you will scrape out the time for it. Why do you need two and a half hours to eat dinner? Why doesn't your husband chip in and cook and clean once in a while. Why not make yourself a dinner to take with you and instead of going out to dinner go exercise. Why not get up an hour earlier every morning and go for a run? It would give you tons of energy that would last through out the day. I know its a challenge, but it is not impossible. If you do not want to make the time just say so. But do not say that you can't, because you can if you really wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not really. If you wanted to fit it in you could. It just is not a priority for you. Believe me if you want to exercise you will scrape out the time for it. Why do you need two and a half hours to eat dinner? Why doesn't your husband chip in and cook and clean once in a while. Why not make yourself a dinner to take with you and instead of going out to dinner go exercise. Why not get up an hour earlier every morning and go for a run? It would give you tons of energy that would last through out the day. I know its a challenge, but it is not impossible. If you do not want to make the time just say so. But do not say that you can't, because you can if you really wanted to.
Apparently you did not read my previous post.

I have a 1 hour commute home every day. As it is NOW I get 7 hours of sleep a night so cutting another hour off is not an option.

My husband I own a business and our hours are the same. There is no time for him to "chip in and cook and clean once in a while".

You have no concept of what it means to have NO TIME OFF to do the things you want to do. This is common with people who have only had a 9 to 5 job all their life, so I don't blame you. But you can lose the attitude until such time as you have been in my shoes, honey because you don't have a freaking clue.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,076,276 times
Its official, the new reason for being lazy is "I have no time". It has offically replaced the "i'm big boned" and "my thyroid" excuse.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Its official, the new reason for being lazy is "I have no time". It has offically replaced the "i'm big boned" and "my thyroid" excuse.
I read her schedule..... she has no time, unless she stops sleeping.

When I worked 16 hour days - I had no time for anything else.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,995,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently you did not read my previous post.

I have a 1 hour commute home every day. As it is NOW I get 7 hours of sleep a night so cutting another hour off is not an option.

My husband I own a business and our hours are the same. There is no time for him to "chip in and cook and clean once in a while".

You have no concept of what it means to have NO TIME OFF to do the things you want to do. This is common with people who have only had a 9 to 5 job all their life, so I don't blame you. But you can lose the attitude until such time as you have been in my shoes, honey because you don't have a freaking clue.

20yrsinBranson
Cutting off an hour of sleep to run is frankly a stupid suggestion, especially with the blithe reasoning that it will give you "tons of energy" (I would bet on the opposite, personally). It would be one thing if you were only sleeping five hours and hitting the snooze button 10 times, but if you're running your own business, I assume you're short of your ideal sleep needs, not long.

I would just think of your work as your exercise, and fuel accordingly. What sorts of physical movements do you do at work?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,076,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I read her schedule..... she has no time, unless she stops sleeping.

When I worked 16 hour days - I had no time for anything else.
you are right, taking 30 minutes to go for a walk means she will never sleep. Its called not making it a priority. Again, its just an excuse.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,182,054 times
Quote:
would just think of your work as your exercise, and fuel accordingly.
Thats what I was thinking. No time for exercise, then eat for how many calories you are burning, or something like that.

I can understand the no-time thing as I had stretches like that at work. 12 and up hour days + commute. No time & too tired to cook, so I went & had dinner at Hardees or McDonalds or Quiznos.

Bad choice.

So now I do things differently and eat less, or eat lighter, if I can't get any exercise in due to work or other obligations.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,022 times
Quote:
you are right, taking 30 minutes to go for a walk means she will never sleep. Its called not making it a priority. Again, its just an excuse.
You're an idiot. That schedule is insane.
That person DEFINITELY has no time for exercise if they are accurately portraying their schedule. A good night's sleep (at least 7 hours) is more important than going for a walk. For all you know she's already run down, in which case adding in exercise is only going to make things worse.
Besides, change your diet and eat correctly and you don't have to worry about doing extra exercise if your goal is simply to lose weight. Exercise is not the magic pill people think it is when it comes to losing weight.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not necessarily. Exercising more makes most people hungrier which means they will want to eat more which often negates the calories burned from exercise. So, if a person is overweight, they need to deal with being hungrier whether they exercise or not. That's why that guy at the gym who you see exercising and sweating everyday for hours isn't getting any thinner.
Exactly. But most people will never understand or even see this phenomenon and continue to walk the treadmill in the gym like a hamster with a pea-sized brain. As far as losing weight and keeping it off, it's a total waste of time.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Well all of the evidence says one of the primary causes of weight gain is lack of sleep. For me personally, 7 hours is the absolute minimum for me to stay healthy and energetic. When I did 4-6 weeks of 6 hours I gained 10 pounds during that period with no change in my eating. This is a horrible suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss