Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,738,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
so this training makes you a doctor? No it doesn't! I still stand by my statements..
and self taught? What the fudge is that? You get arrested for making medical claims based on those types of "qualifications"... and working in a field could be the janitor cleaning the bathrooms in a doctor's office. I'm sure you also stay at Holiday Inns, so who needs actual training, eh?

ANYONE recommending this type of diet without at least consulting with a real doctor is absolutely reckless and irresponsible.

BTW, how could I be considered the one that knows nothing about dieting by simply recommending a person at least consult a real doctor with actual qualifications? That's idiotic and that's the best choice of words I could come up with... the ones that guided me through my weight loss journey were real live formally trained nutritionists and bariatric surgeons that operate in a nationally recognized bariatric center of excellence. Those are ACTUAL QUALIFICATIONS!

Anyone should check in with a doctor before going on ANY diet. That is common sense and common knowledge. There was a another thread in here where a said doctor was promoting drastic diet and activity changes in someone who thinks they may be diabetic. That can kill you. LOL. So I definitely am aware of various health risks associated with dieting. You apparently are not because you think 1200 calories is a death sentence for a small person. That is idiotic.
The op stated she is already on a HEALTHY level of calories without issue. There is also the disclaimer on this site.

Are you a doctor? A nutritionist? No. So you have no base to discount what I am saying if we are playing by your rules. Yes self taught. Basics were covered in school and I elected to read and research more on various diets and dietary studies in my free time.My work involved patient care, IM injections, phlebotomy and lab work. But nice failure to predict on that one. I live in a 3 bedroom condo sweetie. I wouldn't even stay at a holiday inn.

I lost quite a few myself and didn't need surgery or a support team to do it. I do know what I am doing, have been for over a decade and don't give out dangerous advice. Last check up at the doc blood work and all: Thier words: "you are perfect" with a big smile.

I do however want to point out to you that the weight loss method you chose can lead to health problems that may be affecting you right now. Make sure you get a check up and don't let those go. Irritable behavior can be linked to various digestive diseases, low blood sugar and malnourishment issues etc. It can happen with that type of surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM

22 posts, read 49,251 times
I actually met with a nutritionist last summer to speak to him about how to slim down in a safe/healthy way as well as choosing foods that would help to promote long term health.

At the time I was about 130 pounds, so I was carrying some extra weight for someone only five feet tall. Based on my activity level (I was working out about four days a week), he recommended taking in about 1600 calories a day. The diet should contain a balance of complex carbs, proteins, and some healthy fats. My exercise should consist of cardio as well as resistance training.

I am now 15 pounds lighter, so 1200 doesn't seem "too low" for me, especially since I haven't been active lately. I haven't felt faint or sick. Of course, everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for someone else who may have certain medical conditions or specific dietary needs.

Once I reach my target (somewhere between 108 to 112 lbs), I'll start to incorporate more exercise into my routine again and increase my calorie intake to where the net calorie is close to whatever is required to maintain my new weight.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't have any exact meal plans for you, OP, because I would also have to supply recipes (much of what I eat is homemade). But here are some general ideas:

Egg white omelet with cheese (pay attention to calories), spinach and mushrooms. 1/2 cup berries. Black coffee.

2 Gorton's baked fish filets with a green salad. Green tea and water.

Baked bbqd (I make my own low sugar bbq sauce) chicken breast, sauteed squash & onion with a sprinkle of parmesan. Club soda to drink.

I also make my own spaghetti sauce and serve over thin slices of baked non-breaded eggplant instead of pasta.

Veggies, fish and other lean meat are wonderful on the grill.

Olive oil is healthy, but watch how much you use. I think 1 tsp has about 40 calories, so be careful.
Those sound delicious, especially the eggplant with spaghetti sauce! I might have to try that one. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I love green smoothies. A tip to save cals on italian dressings: Just get that Mrs. Dash italian seaoning and a vinegar you like. (i prefer balsamic for the bite) and it cuts those cals out. If you are going to add a fat it should be an olive oil drizzle over the other oils that can be used in dressings. Plus no sugar in it either. Alot of dressings have added sugar. But the bottom line is it just tastes better. More zippy and less greasy.

Your meal would keep me full but I am on the small size like you. Its at least 400 calories or so just as a guess without measuring. That is a perfect meal size for absorption of nutrients.

Another wrap sandwich you can make is whatever filler inside a big lettuce leaf. That cuts about 200 cals of bready stuff to leave the tortilla behind.
If you are going with a pack lunch its best to leave the leaf separate until lunchtime. You can use taco filling, meat/cheese/veggie rolls etc.
There are tons of lettuce leaf wrap recipes out there. Its really nice for summer. (refreshing)

With those extra cals cut on things that can be replaced (that don't provide a lot of nutritional bang for the calorie load) you have more wiggle room to get in any needed protein or more veggies. Squeezing proper amts of protien into a low cal diet can be rough. I am not to crazy about most extra lean type meats though. So it was a challenge for me anyway. LOL
Thanks for the tip about the Italian dressing and tortilla substitutes! I'll have to try the lettuce wraps. For protein, I typically eat fish, nuts, and eggs. I just printed a recipe for oven roasted tofu, so hopefully I can squeeze in some protein that way too.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:40 AM

4,684 posts, read 5,017,729 times
1,200 calories could be a breakfast of three eggs, a lunch of a 6" Spicy Italian from Subway, and a dinner of a 1/4 lb. burger from Wendy's. Not that that's what I would choose, but it's quite clear that we're not talking starvation-level calories here, and if you can find a way not to snack, you might not find it very restrictive at all.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM

I found a TON of cookbooks on amazon focused on calorie controlled portions.

1200 calorie:
Amazon.com: The 1200-Calorie-a-Day Menu Cookbook : Quick and Easy Recipes for Delicious Low-fat Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, and Desserts (9780809236336): Nancy Hughes: Books

300 calorie: (good for 1200 calorie comprised of 3 meals and a snack or two)
Betty Crocker The 300 Calorie Cookbook: 300 tasty meals for eating healthy every day (Betty Crocker Books): Betty Crocker Editors: 9780470080597: Amazon.com: Books

100 calorie snacks:
Amazon.com: 100-Calorie Snack Cookbook (9780470451984): Sally Sampson, Kathy McManus: Books

I have not read any of them but do google around on amazon. There are so many and plenty of reviews to see which style of cooking would work for you. The used ones are super cheap.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
1,200 calories could be a breakfast of three eggs, a lunch of a 6" Spicy Italian from Subway, and a dinner of a 1/4 lb. burger from Wendy's. Not that that's what I would choose, but it's quite clear that we're not talking starvation-level calories here, and if you can find a way not to snack, you might not find it very restrictive at all.

Yep. Im gonna dress that up a little healthier to show what you can do with 1200 cals. Not a slam post. No worries. Its the change it up for healthy game I always play with grab and go foods.

Total: 1214 cals
Carbs: 151
Fat: 34
Protein: 83
(all healthy levels)
Calcium and fiber intake are also at appropriate levels.
Meets fruit and vegetable serving standards

Macro Balance:
proteins = 26.6%
fat = 24.8%
carbs = 48.6%
fat = 30/20
carbs = 50/55

Ideal values for a lower carb diet:
proteins = 30
fat = 30
carbs = 40

Meal Plan:
Breakfast: 277 cals
- Omelet - 4 egg whites + 1 egg (L) + .5c bell pepper +.25c salsa + 1oz LF cheddar
-Coffee

Lunch: 420 cals
- 6 inch veggie delite
- slimfast shake (there are better and lower sugar options out there. I used slimfast for cost effectiveness and you can find it everywhere as lunch is usually an on the go thing)

Dinner:400 cals
- Sm Wendys chili
- spring mix salad

Snack: 167 cals
Greenshake - 2 c spinach + 1c raspberries + 1small banana

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,447,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Anyone should check in with a doctor before going on ANY diet. That is common sense and common knowledge. There was a another thread in here where a said doctor was promoting drastic diet and activity changes in someone who thinks they may be diabetic. That can kill you. LOL. So I definitely am aware of various health risks associated with dieting. You apparently are not because you think 1200 calories is a death sentence for a small person. That is idiotic.
The op stated she is already on a HEALTHY level of calories without issue. There is also the disclaimer on this site.

Are you a doctor? A nutritionist? No. So you have no base to discount what I am saying if we are playing by your rules. Yes self taught. Basics were covered in school and I elected to read and research more on various diets and dietary studies in my free time.My work involved patient care, IM injections, phlebotomy and lab work. But nice failure to predict on that one. I live in a 3 bedroom condo sweetie. I wouldn't even stay at a holiday inn.

I lost quite a few myself and didn't need surgery or a support team to do it. I do know what I am doing, have been for over a decade and don't give out dangerous advice. Last check up at the doc blood work and all: Thier words: "you are perfect" with a big smile.

I do however want to point out to you that the weight loss method you chose can lead to health problems that may be affecting you right now. Make sure you get a check up and don't let those go. Irritable behavior can be linked to various digestive diseases, low blood sugar and malnourishment issues etc. It can happen with that type of surgery.
reading comprehension was never your forte was it? I simply stated the person should talk to a doctor before trying this and you went off on how they shouldn't have to worry because some anonymous person on the Intrawebs (YOU!) told them to. I guess if you're calling me idiotic for that, I can't fix you and once again Ron White wins.

BTW, why is black coffee always popping up as a recommendation? (that's directed to anyone) I quit drinking coffee after my surgery and getting caffeine out of your life is a game changer. I had all sorts of positive changes just by eliminating that one thing. The headaches I had for about 20 years were gone, my vision improved, my hands didn't tremble like they usually did, and I just felt a lot better. Every great now and then I'll have some just because it sounds appealing, until the crap feeling comes back almost instantly. Nothing beats a nice glass of water for a drink. Except for my one hot chocolate every morning, that's all I drink the rest of the day.

And a big DUH on the dangers of weight loss surgery. It took me over a year to decide whether or not it was worth the risk. It's one of the top 10 deadliest surgeries out there. Anyhow, this is old and I'm dropping it. Reference back to the Ron White comment above..

Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
reading comprehension was never your forte was it? I simply stated the person should talk to a doctor before trying this and you went off on how they shouldn't have to worry because some anonymous person on the Intrawebs (YOU!) told them to. I guess if you're calling me idiotic for that, I can't fix you and once again Ron White wins.

There is no need to re-state the TOS. So I guess its actually your reading comprehension that needs brushed up on. You seem to lack paying attention to the entirety of the TOS.

And I said not to worry because the person has been at it for awhile without issue, was at an appropriate weight/activity level for it, and as you can see above is getting what they need. And if you actually read what I wrote I stated that saying 1200 calories will kill you is idiotic:

"You apparently are not because you think 1200 calories is a death sentence for a small person. That is idiotic. "

The term "that" is not used to refer to people but things but as an adverb referring to your thinking process on 1200 calories being dangerous in the OPs situation. Thinking like that when the person is already in the clear is superfluous.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:

BTW, why is black coffee always popping up as a recommendation? (that's directed to anyone) I quit drinking coffee after my surgery and getting caffeine out of your life is a game changer. I had all sorts of positive changes just by eliminating that one thing. The headaches I had for about 20 years were gone, my vision improved, my hands didn't tremble like they usually did, and I just felt a lot better. Every great now and then I'll have some just because it sounds appealing, until the crap feeling comes back almost instantly. Nothing beats a nice glass of water for a drink. Except for my one hot chocolate every morning, that's all I drink the rest of the day.

And a big DUH on the dangers of weight loss surgery. It took me over a year to decide whether or not it was worth the risk. It's one of the top 10 deadliest surgeries out there. Anyhow, this is old and I'm dropping it. Reference back to the Ron White comment above..

I would tell you but I don't know....Its anonymous..sure you are safe?
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss