Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,751,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Opsimathia, he claims his life is fabulous because he is enjoying all the things life has to offer..in his case he enjoys food and smoking I don't eat red meat even though I LOVE red meat, so he mocks me saying that I am letting the best things in life pass me by worrying about the effects of diet on my health.

He acknowledges that his diet may cause him to die by 70 but his argument is that if he drops dead at 70 he would've enjoyed every single day like it was his last.
My idea of a "fabulous" life isn't sitting on the couch smoking cigarettes and eating crappy food. I'd rather travel, hike, and DO things. But if his lifestyle is making him happy--good for him, good for everyone.

BTW, if you love red meat, by all means eat some. It's not bad for you at all. If you can get some pastured, grass-fed beef, even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,832,713 times
You can have the best genes in the world, but if you live a crappy lifestyle and eat a crappy diet, you are pushing your luck. I believe I am at that point where I've pushed my luck for so long that it's close to running out, so I am taking action and making some changes while I still can. Moderation is definitely the key. In my case, keeping my mind in the right place and working daily on staying positive sure helps to make some of the hard stuff a lot easier. I think all along that my mind and my way of thinking was causing the most problems of all!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 PM

17,571 posts, read 39,237,179 times
Sometimes it's just genetics or the luck of the draw. My husband has an uncle who is 97 yrs. old, who used to smoke heavily (but quit decades ago), eats anything and everything and even still drinks occasionally. These days he is feeble and needs a walker but seems to still be going strong. Yet his wife died of cancer about 20 years ago.

My paternal Spanish grandmother died at 103 (had open heart surgery at 93!) yet my grandfather had diabetes and died at 83.

I personally believe there is a lot of BS in medicine and popular thinking out there. I used to shun red meat but eat a steak (or some type of beef) every week now. I like bacon and eggs or grilled cheese for breakfast, and I eat a LOT of fish and seafood and salads. My husband eats like this as well and ALL his numbers improved dramatically at the doctor this week (glucose, cholesterol, BP, etc.) The doc told him this was definitely due to factors other than the meds he's been taking (which I don't believe he needs)

People should make up their own minds and live their lives the way they see fit. If someone is happier eating what they want, being a couch potato, etc. and are happy to make it to a certain age who are we to say that is wrong? I want to do that to a certain extent, but I try to lead a somewhat healthy lifestyle by eating right, not overdoing the wine and getting a lot of exercise. Works for me.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,955,372 times
I have so many 90+ (and even a few who passed away at 100+) and not many of them lived super healthy lives. I have other relatives who dies early of preventable illness/disease. Who knows.

My great uncle who uses chewing tobacco and has since I don't know, his teens is about 96 (I am not really sure, he is likely older). His sister is I think 100 or 102 (Last time I remember finding out her age she was 96 or 96 and that was sometime in the early or mid 2000s). My grandmother on the other had also used chewing tobacco up until her death, had high blood pressure, 2 strokes and diabetes "only" lived until 83.

I have a cousin who is in her late 80s and she had throat cancer in her 50s or 60s from smoking and uses one of the voice boxes.

My namesake great uncle was healthier than others, and he only lived to be about 93. His sisters lived to be 99 and 108. My granddad only lived to be 93, and really died of depression frankly. He was depressed after my grandmother passed away 6 years earlier. He was active into his 90s. My paternal grandmother was one of the youngest, she died at 78 suffering from Alzheimers. She was very healthy up until her last few years, active gardening and in church.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:30 PM

467 posts, read 666,252 times
Saturated fat is healthy.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,842,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Saturated fat is healthy.
According to whom? Is this your opinion? Or do you have some peer-reviewed scientific research to back up a factual claim?

If it's coming from some guy who's selling a primal diet book, say so. If it's coming from a guy who has a blog and recommends a book written by some guy with no formal medical education, say so. If it's coming from Mercola, say so. If it's coming from Dr. Oz, say so. If it's coming from the Journal of the American Medical Association, say so.

But if all you have to say in any of your posts, are one-liners with no substance, then really it's all just spam.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 AM

You may want to do some additional research. You've gotten most of your information from the media, likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
According to whom? Is this your opinion? Or do you have some peer-reviewed scientific research to back up a factual claim?

If it's coming from some guy who's selling a primal diet book, say so. If it's coming from a guy who has a blog and recommends a book written by some guy with no formal medical education, say so. If it's coming from Mercola, say so. If it's coming from Dr. Oz, say so. If it's coming from the Journal of the American Medical Association, say so.

But if all you have to say in any of your posts, are one-liners with no substance, then really it's all just spam.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:57 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,841,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I agree. Markymarc is another extremist with crackpot views with no real data to back them up. Posters like this just add to the confusion and contribute nothing.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I agree. Markymarc is another extremist with crackpot views with no real data to back them up. Posters like this just add to the confusion and contribute nothing.
If you've been limiting saturated fat for any amount of time- a few years, decades, whatever, what has the end result been? Are you thin? Do you look young for your age? How is your skin- do you have wrinkles? Do you have insulin resistance- a sure sign of aging and metabolic dysfunction. What is your body fat %, has it gone up? How are your hormones- do you have a lot of peri or menopausal symptoms? Etc etc is pretty easy to figure out but you really have to do the work yourself. Imagine that in country that has been spoon fed by Oprah the last 25 years, having to learn something on your own.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,841,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
If you've been limiting saturated fat for any amount of time- a few years, decades, whatever, what has the end result been? Are you thin? Do you look young for your age? How is your skin- do you have wrinkles? Do you have insulin resistance- a sure sign of aging and metabolic dysfunction. What is your body fat %, has it gone up? How are your hormones- do you have a lot of peri or menopausal symptoms? Etc etc is pretty easy to figure out but you really have to do the work yourself. Imagine that in country that has been spoon fed by Oprah the last 25 years, having to learn something on your own.
I am 50 and people are blown away when I tell them that. They think I am at least a decade younger. I am a size 2 and have been for most of my life except for a few years when I stopped exercising regularly. I have not had any peri-menopausal symptoms, not that it is any of your business. My doctor has commented on more than one occasion he wished his daughter was more like me. So take your meat and fat and and weird dietary theories...and well you know what you can do with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss