Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,865,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I totally agree and I really have to wonder why someone would want to do something so invasive and drastic to begin with?

Because they want to be thin without being abnormally neurotic about eating (counting milligrams of food, writing down every calories, exercising two hours a day, etc)

If the attitude does not change along with the fix, then its all for nothing.

With WLS, little attitude change is required. A person eats until they are full. Before WLS that quantity might be three hot dogs and two bowls of ice cream. After WLS that quantity may be 1/2 hot dog a 1/2 cup of ice cream with no discipline or will power or attitude adjustment required. A person simple feels fuller with less food.

When I was dieting I learned to eat foods

Some people wouldn't consider "learning" to eat healthfully a solution. "Naturally" thin people don't have to "learn" to eat healthfully do they? "Learning" is a euphemism for deprivation.

that had the best bang for the buck so to speak and I never felt hungry.

While nobody would feel hungry if they ate three heads of lettuce it wouldn't be that satisfying either.
It sounds like you may have found something that works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As long as gas is 99 cents a gallon, you'll have a hard time pushing fuel efficient cars and hybrids.

As long as there is a cheater quickie way to get thin with little or no effort on your part (though you incur great risk), you will have a hard time pushing for healthy whole food.

It's not just about which foods are fattening or whatever. It's about the wholesale degeneration of the quality of the food, the contaminants present, the hormones, the pesticides, and the additives. These are all contributing to the obesity epidemic. Food in copious quantities has always been around. Crappy food full of bioactive additives is a fairly new thing.
I understand your point but in general the reason for obesity lies more with quantity than quality of food. While eating higher quality food is a noble idea, overweight people for the most part will remain overweight if all they ate was healthy food; They just can't eat healthy amounts.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I understand your point but in general the reason for obesity lies more with quantity than quality of food. While eating higher quality food is a noble idea, overweight people for the most part will remain overweight if all they ate was healthy food; They just can't eat healthy amounts.
Well you are lumping all overweight people into your way of eating. Plenty of people learn to eat properly and lose weight and keep it off. They are dedicated to becoming more healthy. People do it all the time. Some people refuse to make the proper sacrifices so they will remain heavy.
It sounds like you have a food addiction. I second what another poster suggested for you, Overeaters Anonymous. That just might be the key to your relationship with food.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Well you are lumping all overweight people into your way of eating.

What is my way of eating? I don't think you know me.

Plenty of people learn to eat properly and lose weight and keep it off.

If your definition of "plenty" is about 10%, you are 100% correct.

They are dedicated to becoming more healthy. People do it all the time.

All it takes for this sentence to be true is to have two people eat healthy and keep the weight off.

Some people refuse to make the proper sacrifices so they will remain heavy.
It sounds like you have a food addiction. I second what another poster suggested for you, Overeaters Anonymous. That just might be the key to your relationship with food.

Again, what are you writing about? My relationship with food? I'm pretty healthy and I eat pretty healthy. I'm just an anonymous city data poster writing on a public forum.
Who is healthy?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,838,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who is healthy?
Well Charles you are right I do not know you or your eating habits. However what you have made very clear is that you think it is pretty much impossible for people to lose weight and keep it off. You are focused on the failures. Like I said before there are plenty of people who lose weight and keep it off. They have dedicated themselves to living a healthy life. Its not about genetics, its not about luck, its not about body type. Its about common sense. If you make a commitment to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight then there is absolutely no reason why you can't. The only thing holding you back is your brain.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Well Charles you are right I do not know you or your eating habits. However what you have made very clear is that you think it is pretty much impossible for people to lose weight and keep it off.

I don't "think" anything. I am just repeating the facts.

You are focused on the failures.

Just trying to be fair and balanced. It seems 95% of people write that they lost all these weight yet few of them report they've kept it off.

Like I said before there are plenty of people who lose weight and keep it off. They have dedicated themselves to living a healthy life. Its not about genetics, its not about luck, its not about body type. Its about common sense. If you make a commitment to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight then there is absolutely no reason why you can't. The only thing holding you back is your brain.

Yes, this is true. Some overweight people do lose weight and keep it off long term.

Just not too many - like 10% or so.

Everyone can be thin.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,120,679 times
I've known a few people that have gotten this surgery done and this has been one of these:

1. Died from complications of the surgery.
2. Lost weight, is starting to gain it back. Still very much overweight.
3. Lost weight, still overweight has gained no or little weight back.

I've yet to encounter someone that was obese, got the surgery and is now perfectly slim. And...the surgery does nothing to address the other health consequences of the patients diet. Though, apparently some do get slim......

Occurring to the below study, the final BMI (after 5 years) for obese patients was 29....still significantly overweight. The study cites the need for flow-up operations, some deaths, etc.

Late Outcome of Isolated Gastric Bypass

I've never understood the logic of these sorts of surgeries, the underlying cause here is obvious. Yet, instead of dealing with the underlying cause you perform a radical surgery?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,367,431 times
I just looked it up. My friend had the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass procedure. She was 33 when she died. She had one child and I know that she would do anything to be with her daughter again. About three weeks after the surgery she told me that had she been able to go back in time she would have never done the surgery. She was losing weight but it was due to the diet the doctor put her on before and after. She was also sick as a dog for the three months that she was alive after the surgery. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course, but I know she would want me to get the word out there about what happened to her.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I just looked it up. My friend had the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass procedure. She was 33 when she died. She had one child and I know that she would do anything to be with her daughter again. About three weeks after the surgery she told me that had she been able to go back in time she would have never done the surgery. She was losing weight but it was due to the diet the doctor put her on before and after. She was also sick as a dog for the three months that she was alive after the surgery. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course, but I know she would want me to get the word out there about what happened to her.
Contrast that to the 99.9% of people who had the procedure and would do it again in a heartbeat. To people who have been overweight all their lives and have run out of solutions and are frustrated, overweight, and depressed, VSG is worth the minimal risk. I honestly don't understand why everyone who must battle to keep their weight low doesn't undergo this procedure. If you've tried and failed for 10, 20, or 30 years to be thin (as statistics indicate 80%-90% of overweight people have) it is a no brainer.

VSG is actually a pretty simple procedure. No re-routing, purely arthroscopic, majority of patients are out of the hospital same day or the next day.

5 Year Post Op VSG Gastric Sleeve Follow-up - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss