Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Juice fasts are GREAT! I think the main thing is people need to start out slowly - do one or two days, and work up to longer fasts. Plus, it is important that there are no medical issues. Some may need a doctor's supervision.

A while back my husband and I had GREAT success doing a short juice fast one day per week. We would lose about 3 pounds each time and it would STAY OFF. Plus, we felt GREAT. I have diabetes now, and takes meds, which makes it harder for me to fast a whole day. But I do intermittent fasting now, usually skipping one meal per day.
When I had a juicer, my husband and I did the same - once a week. I was in my 20s then at it did feel good. I felt lighter and was able to keep my weight permanently lower.
Now I'd like to try it for a week and go back to the practice of once a week fasting.

I am not here to debate "to fast or not to fast" with anyone. Like the OP, and others; I'm interested in trying this and I happen to believe it's good.

I have heard cucumber, parsley, celery and apple are cleansing. I would need to get a juicer though. Unless I could just blend these items in a blender?

Last edited by sheena12; 07-02-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,599 times
what about that Master Cleanse thing with the maple syrup? Has anyone tried that? If so, what did you think?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
The only time you need to "cleanse" your digestive system, is if you are suffering from poison, or in preparation for a colonoscopy or similar medical procedure.

Your colon is _supposed_ to be dirty. That is its function: to pass digested foods down for them to evacuate from the body to the toilet (or next to the tree, whichever the case may be).

If you are constipated, a laxitive will loosen you right up. If you are consistantly constipated, you can -usually- fix that by eating more fiber. If you are already eating plenty of fiber and are still consistently constipated, then you need a doctor, not a colon cleanse.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
I've been a regular faster for over a year now. I eat about 3 days a week and fast for four...or vice-versa. Some weeks if I have commitments or life things to do I'll eat every other day for five or so days -- then I'm able to string three or four days straight of fasting back into my schedule.

I started out over a year ago with no expectations of how many days I could do in a row --BUT I was committed to not giving in at the first hunger pangs. By the end of the first week I'd already strung together three four days.

For me -- If I can get through the first day and a half, it's really not that bad. Even those times aren't that bad -- I don't feel like Im' STARVING. I feel hungry. And I know hunger won't kill me.By the end of Day Two the hunger has left me....and I'm good until at least Day Four or Five, before I feel hungry again. USUALLY it's my lack of HYDRATION that gets me a little on Day five...NOT lack of food.

I've done three 10-day fasts in the past year...and one of those I added 2 more days of juice fasting for a total of 12 days on liquids only. There have been lots of four-day and five days fasts in there over the year, sometimes it's 2-3-2....OR 3-4-2, it just depends.

I've had no headaches although at times my ears have felt plugged, and if I stand quickly my blood pressure drops so I have felt dizzy then. (To be fully honest I have fainted twice and almost fainted a couple more times both times I was out in last summer's heat with not enough water.) Stay hydrated!!!!! I was never really the kind of person who paid much attention to her body medically, or monthly etc. But with fasting I am MUCH MORE in turn to my energy and hydration needs.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
what about that Master Cleanse thing with the maple syrup? Has anyone tried that? If so, what did you think?
I am in favor of fasting also. I did try that Master Cleanse and I think it's more hype than anything else.

I'd like to try something with vegetables and fruits that have cleansing properties. I just fell upon this thread and I've been thinking about this myself. My appetite is naturally supressed in the summer, so it might be a good time to go for it.

I'm going to do some research.

Fasting is entirely natural and it is practiced by many cultures and other species. Most animals have the good sense not to over eat and to fast at certain times, giving their bodies a rest.

People eat themselves sick. Literally.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
The body is amazing thing. It knows what it is supposed to do and does not require us to detox it or cleanse it. Other cultures fast for religious purposes, not so much for health. Fasting for weight loss is pointless. You will gain it right back and then some. You will not jump start anything because your metabolism realizes its starving and is going to hold on to as many calories as possible.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,549 times
ALL, I appreciate ALL responses! It sounds like there are a few of us willing to do some form or fashion of a fast. Someone asked if I had ever done a fast, and the answer is yes, but I wasn't particularly serious and only lasted a couple days. However, not only do I want to lose the pounds, but also because it is my understanding from study that a fast WILL clear out lots of toxins in the body, and apparently I have them, because I wound up with breast cancer a year and a half ago, treatments were tough, and like anybody who has ever looked at death in the face, you don't want to go nowhere near it again. So, I thought in addition to my weight problem that is creating too many health issues, like shortness of breath and achy joints, I might also benefit from toxins leaving me, because in my opinion, cancers come from toxins, bacteria, and stuff that doesn't belong inside us.

My understanding also is one should approach a fast with easing down on what food you take in, right on down to liquids, and then stop. Same thing in reverse. But one thing I heard mentioned was getting dehydrated. I am talking about a water fast. I would not do a "dry" fast because that's crazy. Drinking water is a good idea. I also happen to think that most of the agreeances here have to do with a juice fast, which I am willing to consider. I DID read, however, that to get the toxins out, for ketosis to take place and all the benefits physically from that level of response, that not even teas are to be done. Now, that's NOT to strike out the idea of a juice fast; in fact, I'm thinking about doing it THAT way instead of just water. But water is a must, at the very least!!!

I am an older person, I may not have long to live, and I COULD die from not only cancer recurrence, but also from a heart attack on account of my weight. I HAVE to get this weight off. My weight, it hasn't always been like this. I used to be so active, kept my weight straight, with a few exceptions, and so now that I'm stuck with this extra weight, I simply cannot just diet and diet and diet for the months (years, decades...haha) it would take to get it off, thus the idea of the fast. So, let us continue to chit-chat about the situation, and pretty soon we'll have some die-hards ready to set a date.

As to the date, I MUST wait until about the last full week in July, about three weeks from now, and while I don't want to be the one to say, "Ready, set, go," I do think we who decide to do this need to come together somehow so we can at least support each other while this is going on. My reason for waiting a few weeks to fast is because, yes, folks, I'm a real human being, and I just worked SO HARD to get this month off, and even throwing in the towel on the last week of July is pushing it for me, but I'm willing to do it. Oh, and yes, I can just do, say, one week, or ten days, up to two weeks, but I don't think it matters, becuz each of us will know when we want to climb back out of it and will do so. Just thinking we would all need each other's daily support (whining) whilst trying a good fast. GG

Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,305 times
Overall, I think it is a bad idea for women. We don't have the constitution for it, and our hormone fluctuations make it difficult with regards to our blood sugar and energy levels.
I have put women on juice fasts before, but to go without food entirely for 3+ days is sketchy.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have done it and put many folks on it, too. But...I add a little protein every day for 5 days. Just a bit. Make sure if you do this, not to skip the cayenne. That part is essential. It keeps the body stimulated.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,599 times
I am starting with a very restricted diet of raw foods about 1200 calories a day and then slowly going into a fast for 3-5 days, and then alternating with raw foods. I have tried to just start a fast but its too hard on my body without transition.

I disagree that the body just "cleanses" itself. It tries, but some of us (me included) overload it with toxins, processed sugars, starches, alcohol, and junk. I don't think its a bad idea to give it a rest period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss