Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
User with all due respect get your nose out of all the reports and listen to people with 'real life experience'. Your arguments are hollow when you dismiss a real person telling you their experience only to promote some pseudo-scientific report that has NO BEARING on real life.
Get my nose out of actual data? No thanks, that is how you find out actual information instead of unreliable anecdotal reports. You can't judge a nations meat consumed based on personal experience, personal experience just tells you what you happened to encounter.

My claim was entirely accurate, the fact that you are now suggesting that we should rely on someone's personal report instead of rigorously collected trade data (that is the basis of the report) demonstrates an unwillingness to admit that you were wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not only do Germans eat a lot of meat, they eat a lot of fat and processed meats. Now - I lived in Bavaria, which is southern Germany, where seafood is not common as it is in Northern Germany.
I posted a linked to the actual data. You are posting pictures of meat....do you think these pictures tell us anything about the frequency and quantity of German meat consumption? They do not.... I never suggested that Germans don't consume meat, I said they consume noticeably less than Americans....and that is entirely accurate.

Also, another piece of actual information, Germany has one of the highest rates of vegetarianism in Europe and much higher than the United States. Approximately 9% of Germans are vegetarian, therefore if someone is having trouble finding meatless cuisine in Germany they aren't looking very hard.

EVU! - How many Veggies

Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Get my nose out of actual data? No thanks, that is how you find out actual information instead of unreliable anecdotal reports. You can't judge a nations meat consumed based on personal experience, personal experience just tells you what you happened to encounter.

My claim was entirely accurate, the fact that you are now suggesting that we should rely on someone's personal report instead of rigorously collected trade data (that is the basis of the report) demonstrates an unwillingness to admit that you were wrong.
Collecting data is pointless if it cannot be applied to real life. Plus over the past 30 years at least conflicting reports have come about regarding just about every aspect of diet and nutrition.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Collecting data is pointless if it cannot be applied to real life. Plus over the past 30 years at least conflicting reports have come about regarding just about every aspect of diet and nutrition.
Umm....huh? You can apply the data to real life, for example when talking about the meat consumption patterns of nations. This wasn't report on nutrition, it made absolutely no claims about human nutrition, it was merely ranking countries by per capita meat consumption. This is derived from trade data, its rigorously collected by every developed country.

Your daughter got the wrong impression about the average German diet, that sort of thing happens all the time with personal experience. That is why we should look at rigorously collected data for real information.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Umm....huh? You can apply the data to real life, for example when talking about the meat consumption patterns of nations. This wasn't report on nutrition, it made absolutely no claims about human nutrition, it was merely ranking countries by per capita meat consumption. This is derived from trade data, its rigorously collected by every developed country.

Your daughter got the wrong impression about the average German diet, that sort of thing happens all the time with personal experience. That is why we should look at rigorously collected data for real information.
So then you are ignoring the other posts others have said Germany eats a lot of meat. Those posters actually lived in Germany for a period of time. But I guess they are wrong too because it doesn't jive with your statistical data. Give me a break.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM

Diet & Nutrition In Germany | LIVESTRONG.COM

Agency says Germans should eat less meat - The Local

This graph is old but I believe it is still fairly accurate:
Per Capita Consumption of Meat and Poultry, by Country statistics - USA Census numbers

Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Instead of some author's interpretation on statistics he collected from Sum Yung Guy's Facto-Rama #72...try visiting..a German Food website! Here's one for you:

German Food Guide - Cooking

You can read all about how meat, fish, poultry, and game are Germany's favorite foods, and that potatoes are a typical accompaniment to all those meat dishes, of which the Weiner Schnitzels and wursts (sausages of remarkable variety) reign supreme.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:56 PM

Diet & Nutrition In Germany | LIVESTRONG.COM

Agency says Germans should eat less meat - The Local

Old 08-31-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
But I guess they are wrong too because it doesn't jive with your statistical data.
Right, because you cannot determine how much meat a country consumes by personal anecdotes, instead you must look at actual data. I'm really not sure why you're arguing about this, other than that you're simply unwilling to admit you were wrong.

I'm not really sure the point of your various links, they don't conflict with anything reported in the data I provided you with. The data I provided you shows aggregate meat consumption of all types of meat on a per capita basis. And, to say it again, never did I suggest that Germans eat little meat...I said they consume noticeably less meat than Americans. Since Americans top the chart, that doesn't translate into low meat consumption....

Some types of German foods are meat heavy, some aren't. And, as I pointed out, Germany has a high rate of Vegetarianism. If you isolate your attention to the meat heavy foods (and the regions that consume them) its easy to fool yourself about the general dietary habits of Germans. But, as the data shows, Germans as a whole aren't big meat eaters....even compared to other European countries.

Regardless, this isn't even worth discussing further. The data is clear as day.....

Last edited by user_id; 08-31-2012 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
I posted a linked to the actual data. You are posting pictures of meat....do you think these pictures tell us anything about the frequency and quantity of German meat consumption? They do not.... I never suggested that Germans don't consume meat, I said they consume noticeably less than Americans....and that is entirely accurate.

Also, another piece of actual information, Germany has one of the highest rates of vegetarianism in Europe and much higher than the United States. Approximately 9% of Germans are vegetarian, therefore if someone is having trouble finding meatless cuisine in Germany they aren't looking very hard.

EVU! - How many Veggies
In case you haven't noticed, I've never disputed your data - which, by the way, is ONE study. Hardly what I would call conclusive. But feel free to believe it if you like.

All I did was post photos of a very common sight in Germany - the local meat market - and very common German meals, and described my actual experiences living in southern Germany for three years (oh, and visiting there again last year).

I don't have any cousins in Germany either by the way - unless you count the ones who stayed behind when my family immigrated here from Germany in the 1640s. Might be a bit hard to find them - vegetarians or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss