Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 PM

48 posts, read 110,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then you should know better.

Ok, so my problem has been a stubborn ten pounds that I wish to rid of. I've always eaten healthy, probably 90% home cooked meals from scratch. I don't have a sweet tooth. I eat lots of grains and raw veggies, and fruit. I've always believed in as many whole foods as possible.

So when my SO went on low carb diet, I did too. First, because it's easier to cook on type of meal, instead of two, and the ten pounds have been stubborn.

One week later, I'm fitting in pants that were too tight. Which is great. One week later my immune system is out of control and my arthritis and psoriasis are hitting hard. Not so great.

I think all diets have pros and cons. It's just a matter of finding what is right for you and your body.

So I'm off to finish my quinoa and make some lentil salad.

I think the best thing I've done is to start logging in my food, to see exactly what my intake is. After logging in the days food, I found I was very low on protein. So I had chicken breast and sashimi.
That's called withdrawal. Like with a drug addiction, you may feel fine and dandy while windrawing for a week, and then the real change begins. If you had said something like 3 months into it you started to feel terrible, then that may have been a little more persuasive, but even then, it would probably be a matter of adding or removing one or two foods in your diet - like what happens when you food test to figure out what you have an allergy to.

So what you said is just like a smoker saying, "I felt fine at first, but then the second week I felt terrible, so I started smoking again and now I feel great."

Maybe YOU should know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 PM

48 posts, read 110,243 times
I guess I'm done following this thread. So many of you have done more to prove my point with your responses than I ever could.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
I would not follow any diet that made me feel like crap for 3 weeks. No need. No need to eliminate any food groups, or highly restrict them except for saturated fats and sugars. And even those can be eaten in moderation. Just find a plan that works that you can follow and stay on. Thats the key, finding a way to eat that you can do forever.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabatha1970 View Post
I guess I'm done following this thread. So many of you have done more to prove my point with your responses than I ever could.
So what should I do? Stay inside and "research this stuff themselves in an unbiased way" or get outside and get me some sunshine? Am I spending more time on the computer debating this stuff or lurking for years? Or maybe I should go back and take more reading lessons? Such a dilemma! And why is a new person coming on here and getting combative so quickly? That's what I don't even understand at all.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
We'll miss you horribly dear.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:41 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,366 times
Quote:
If you bring up Atkins, or Taubes, or Eades, or Lustig, people who've never even heard of these guys will quickly run to their google page and look up some website where some idiot calls them a quack, and then they'll lecture you about believing in diet fads and gurus. They won't actually research this stuff themselves in an unbiased way, because diets are like religion to some people, so it would be like trying to tell them there's no God.
Maybe this is because Atkins, Taubes, et al ARE QUACKS! They are espousing to have great knowledge in areas outside of their training/profession; they do so WITHOUT ever conducting or publishing a SINGLE PEER REVIEWED STUDY; in fact they rarely even cite any peer reviewed studies in their books. This does not make them a reliable source of information - particularly when one can easily find peer reviewed research that counters many of their claims.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Maybe this is because Atkins, Taubes, et al ARE QUACKS! They are espousing to have great knowledge in areas outside of their training/profession; they do so WITHOUT ever conducting or publishing a SINGLE PEER REVIEWED STUDY; in fact they rarely even cite any peer reviewed studies in their books. This does not make them a reliable source of information - particularly when one can easily find peer reviewed research that counters many of their claims.
Yup ^^^^ - and Atkins even died of a heart attack! So much for all that "healthy" low carb fatty eating!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM

I thought Atkins slipped on a patch of ice and died. Was he having a heart attack at the time?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I thought Atkins slipped on a patch of ice and died. Was he having a heart attack at the time?
It's true he slipped on ice which is what killed him at that time, but it came out (someone slipped the info) he had a heart attack -he did have a history of heart problems, even his wife admitted that. It's all on the net, but I don't care enough about it to post links. People will believe what they want anyway.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's true he slipped on ice which is what killed him at that time, but it came out (someone slipped the info) he had a heart attack -he did have a history of heart problems, even his wife admitted that. It's all on the net, but I don't care enough about it to post links. People will believe what they want anyway.
Oh I believe you. ANd I do not care enough about him to read them if you did post the links

The biggest criticism there is of these high fat, high protein diets is that hardly anyone can stay on them for any real period of time. And then going off and on is just really dangerous. Personally I am just grossed out by all the meat, eggs and fat. I did Atkins for 6 months, and I did lose weight and I was at the point where I was eating a fair amount of carbs, but it was still hard. For someone who enjoys food and cooking and going out to eat at nice restaurants this diet is just a torture device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss