Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,816,265 times

Advertisements

Atkins had chronic infections in his heart, and his heart attack occurred a year before he fell and died, from massive head trauma. One had nothing to do with the other. And his heart infections had nothing to do with his food.

I wouldn't go on an Atkins diet anyway - I'd rather just eat more sensibly and get more fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabatha1970 View Post
That's called withdrawal. Like with a drug addiction, you may feel fine and dandy while windrawing for a week, and then the real change begins. If you had said something like 3 months into it you started to feel terrible, then that may have been a little more persuasive, but even then, it would probably be a matter of adding or removing one or two foods in your diet - like what happens when you food test to figure out what you have an allergy to.

So what you said is just like a smoker saying, "I felt fine at first, but then the second week I felt terrible, so I started smoking again and now I feel great."

Maybe YOU should know better.
Well, I KNOW better about MY body, and that's all I was relaying.

And so you'll feel better about the whole thing, this WAS the second time I tried high protein diet. The first time I tried it for somewhere around 2 months, and didn't correlate my symptoms with my diet (in hindsight I developed a suspicion), so this was the second test to see if there was a correlation, and I made sure I switched my diet at the first sign of trouble.

Also, I've been tested and I'm not allergic to any food (or anything for that matter).

Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,177,815 times
I'll just say my usual - when I looked at the longevity of nations from around the world, the top ten or so were a very mixed bag. Some of them mostly vegetarian with some fish and a tiny amount of meat, others such as European countries had traditional diets high in meat and saturated fat.

There's no good evidence that health is significantly related to diet. In my opinion the exception might be highly processed foods, since they are designed to stimulate taste and appetite, and eating a lot of them can result in obesity which is the real problem.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'll just say my usual - when I looked at the longevity of nations from around the world, the top ten or so were a very mixed bag. Some of them mostly vegetarian with some fish and a tiny amount of meat, others such as European countries had traditional diets high in meat and saturated fat.

There's no good evidence that health is significantly related to diet. In my opinion the exception might be highly processed foods, since they are designed to stimulate taste and appetite, and eating a lot of them can result in obesity which is the real problem.
If you get enough nutrients from the food you are eating and you do not over eat you can be a very healthy person. Demonizing food is not the answer. A diet of a variety of whole, fresh foods is. Exercise is NON NEGOTIABLE for a healthy lifestyle. You have to move your body no matter what you eat.
Eating high calorie fast foods and drinking sugary drinks and not moving is what is killing people.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM

17,554 posts, read 39,191,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you get enough nutrients from the food you are eating and you do not over eat you can be a very healthy person. Demonizing food is not the answer. A diet of a variety of whole, fresh foods is. Exercise is NON NEGOTIABLE for a healthy lifestyle. You have to move your body no matter what you eat.
Eating high calorie fast foods and drinking sugary drinks and not moving is what is killing people.
Exactly. ^^^ The human body is designed to eat a little of everything. As has been discussed by myself and others, it is not really whether one is vegan or paleo or any variation thereof. As long as portions are appropriate of whole, fresh foods, and one gets plenty of water and exercise and good sleep and doesn't indulge in smoking or other bad habits, one can expect to be pretty healthy. From all of my own personal research, reading, and trial and error over the years, it seems like almost all diseases go back to chronic inflammation in the body - people who overeat processed foods like packaged dinners, chips, junk food, sweets, etc. have chronic inflammation. It's not about the meat, eggs, grains, etc. Of course smokers, addicts and anyone else abusing their bodies and not taking in nutrients will experience this also.

So.....everyone should follow whichever HEALTHY diet the feel is best for them, as long as it consists of whole fresh foods. Vegan, vegetarian, paleo, raw - no it really doesn't matter. You can get all the nutrients you need from any of these diets. I personally like to eat from all food groups, but I watch my calories. And when I do eat something like "pizza", which I do and I love, I at least stick to organic, very thin whole-grain crust with veggies (low calorie, too). This works for me, and everyone should find what works for them.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,028,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I've been reading the New York Times bestseller, "Why We Get Fat, And What to Do about It" by Gary Taubes. It is a highly reviewed book and has one of the highest positive ratings of any science book on the evidence of nutrition and adiposity (fat) ever written. Has anyone heard of this book? Amazon.com: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (9780307272706): Gary Taubes: Books

The book basically reveals the nutritional science of how a high fat/high protein, low carb/sugar diet is the best way to lose fat and improve your health. It's not a diet book, rather, it's a book showcasing how bad nutritional science of the last century--none more damaging or misguided than the "calories - in calories out" model of why we get fat -- and the good science that has been ignored.

This book was actually written for the layman as Mr. Taubes previously released a book for the medical community and scientists titled, "Good Calories, Bad Calories". Both books also ask whether fiber and vegetables are necessities in a healthy diet. The only proven value of fiber, "is that it helps with constipation". Furthermore, as for green vegetables, "the evidence that they are required for a healthy diet is also surprisingly weak. In fact, the healthiest and most vigorous populations in the world in the nineteenth century were those that ate virtually no vegetables at all, and so no fiber as well--these included the Inuit, the Native Americans of the Great Plains, the pastoral populations like reindeer herders in Siberia or the Maasai cattle herders in East Africa."

In 1928, motivated in large part by this evidence--the Inuit experience, in particular--leading nutritionists and anthropologists collaborated and put two veteran Arctic explorers on an all-meat diet for an entire year measuring and testing everything they could think of at the time. "Both men were in good physical condition at the end of the observation."

Thought it was an interesting read. I have also followed the high meat/low carb diet for the past year and have had stellar results.

Any comments?
Personally, I'm with you. Here is a fairly recent article from Taubes discussing yet another study that suggests the calorie in=calorie out theory of weight loss/gain is suspect:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/op...BqCES3TUB6lj1g

And is he making any bold deductions from the study? Not really - he calls for more research. What a quack!

Taubes is great because he simply, but effectively and persuasively, reports on the status of current research and has pointed out how little there is to back up so much of the accepted health advice we've received now for several decades. And when you acknowledge the undisputable fact that this accepted health advice has coincided with the twin epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the US and other western countries, an intellectually curious person might question the accepted advice. That's what Taubes has done. Of course, he comes from the perspective of a journalist with a science background.

I'd suggest you find a forum with more open minded individuals to discuss this topic. I find those on here who cloak themselves in the suspect "science" that supports the old tried and true (and failed) accepted dietary advice have incredibly closed minds on the subject. Which is ironic, isn't it? Taubes certaintly doesn't.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,107,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's not about the meat, eggs, grains, etc. Of course smokers, addicts and anyone else abusing their bodies and not taking in nutrients will experience this also.
Its not? Why do vegetarians live longer? Why is red meat continuously linked to disease? etc....

As for whole foods, they aren't necessarily wholesome, whole foods can be manipulated by industry. From genetically engineered crops to cows that are breed (and fed) to produce unnatural amounts of fat....

And there there is that one "food group", that the vast majority of the world can't even digest.... Funny how the "food groups" are so ethnocentric....

Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Longevity is effected by both diet and medical technology....in the west people eat junk but modern science keeps them alive, well sorta, and they can often live into their 70's... All the countries in the top are wealthy developed nations. How many 70 year olds, or heck even 60 year olds, do you see in the US out jogging? Yet....there is no reason the majority aren't able to do this.... Poor health with age is a given in the west, science keeps people alive just in poor overall health.... Heck, I only know one 60+ year old that isn't popping pills....

It is more telling to look at rates of disease, particularly those caused by diet, and when you do that you see pretty strong relationships between meat consumption (especially red meat) and particular diseases.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM

221 posts, read 484,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'd suggest you find a forum with more open minded individuals to discuss this topic. I find those on here who cloak themselves in the suspect "science" that supports the old tried and true (and failed) accepted dietary advice have incredibly closed minds on the subject. Which is ironic, isn't it? Taubes certaintly doesn't.
Do you have any good forums you can direct some of us more open minded folks are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And there there is that one "food group", that the vast majority of the world can't even digest.... Funny how the "food groups" are so ethnocentric....
Soy? Pasteurized dairy?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Soy? Pasteurized dairy?
Dairy, pasteurized or otherwise...... Problems with soy are relatively rare and when there is a problem its usually an allergy. Dairy allergies are more common, though that isn't what I had in mind in my comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss