Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,207,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Longevity is effected by both diet and medical technology....in the west people eat junk but modern science keeps them alive, well sorta, and they can often live into their 70's... All the countries in the top are wealthy developed nations. How many 70 year olds, or heck even 60 year olds, do you see in the US out jogging? Yet....there is no reason the majority aren't able to do this.... Poor health with age is a given in the west, science keeps people alive just in poor overall health.... Heck, I only know one 60+ year old that isn't popping pills....

It is more telling to look at rates of disease, particularly those caused by diet, and when you do that you see pretty strong relationships between meat consumption (especially red meat) and particular diseases.
Not from what I've seen. I've looked at other indicators also which are less direct, such as satisfaction with life (happiness) which wouldn't be very high if old people were being kept alive artificially.

It seems to me that longevity and health are highest in countries that have good public health systems, and are very clean and hygenic. Thus the Swiss and Icelanders live about as long as the Japanese and residents of Hong Kong, and they are healthy too, despite diets high in saturated fat and a bit low in fresh veggies.

One researcher's opinion I read a few years ago was that meat eaters can live as long as vegetarians, but then at the end of their lives they tend to die more often of cardiovascular events, while old vegetarians or fishetarians like the Japanese tend to die more often from cancer. Both are diseases of mainly of old age.

Interestingly enough, I have Swiss relatives in both the US and in Switzerland - the ones in Switzerland are lean and healthier, while the ones over here tend to be fat even on roughly the same diet, except for eating more processed foods here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 03:39 PM

17,597 posts, read 39,331,620 times
Quote:
Its not? Why do vegetarians live longer? Why is red meat continuously linked to disease? etc....

As for whole foods, they aren't necessarily wholesome, whole foods can be manipulated by industry. From genetically engineered crops to cows that are breed (and fed) to produce unnatural amounts of fat....

And there there is that one "food group", that the vast majority of the world can't even digest.... Funny how the "food groups" are so ethnocentric....
Who says vegetarians live longer? I'm of Spanish descent - my grandmother lived to 103 - on a Mediterranean diet including EVERY type of food group including plenty of roast pork, beef and chorizo. But no fried stuff, or processed crap. So go preach somewhere else, dude.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,152,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
... such as satisfaction with life (happiness) which wouldn't be very high if old people were being kept alive artificially.
Huh? I'm really not sure what you have in mind, but older people (heck many younger ones as well) are being kept alive "artificially". They take pills, they get major surgeries, etc.... Those are all artificial things that keep people alive, and that is perfectly fine, but the pills, the surgeries reduce your overall health.

Quote:
It seems to me that longevity and health are highest in countries that have good public health systems, and are very clean and hygenic.
Sure, so when eat yourself into a heart attack....those public health systems can perform the necessary surgery, give you pills, etc....and you can go back to eating yourself to death for a bit longer than those in less developed countries.

Also, as for as longevity, the numbers are look backwards. The nation today is much more overweight than it use to be, its yet to be seen how this plays out.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Who says vegetarians live longer? I'm of Spanish descent - my grandmother lived to 103 - on a Mediterranean diet including EVERY type of food group including plenty of roast pork, beef and chorizo.
There are numerous studies that show vegetarians, in developed nations, live longer than meat eaters even after you control for things like smoking, etc. I'm not sure what you think your grandmother proves, not to mention that the Mediterranean diet (as discussed in nutrition) contains little to no beef.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:11 AM

17,597 posts, read 39,331,620 times
Quote:
There are numerous studies that show vegetarians, in developed nations, live longer than meat eaters even after you control for things like smoking, etc. I'm not sure what you think your grandmother proves, not to mention that the Mediterranean diet (as discussed in nutrition) contains little to no beef.
I don't know what YOU think you are proving.... or why you care so much. You got a book you're pimping or something? Anyway, this drivel has become boring, so good luck with your agenda, whatever it is - I'm outta here!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM

4,700 posts, read 5,025,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't know what YOU think you are proving.... or why you care so much. You got a book you're pimping or something? Anyway, this drivel has become boring, so good luck with your agenda, whatever it is - I'm outta here!
Your experience, or anyone else's, means nothing to him. That's just the way he is.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,750,125 times
Quote:
Its not? Why do vegetarians live longer? Why is red meat continuously linked to disease? etc....
But, correlation does not equal causality. Yes, vegetarians may live longer, but that's because most of them are healthier in other aspects. Red meat eaters are often lumped with smokers, alcoholics, etc., since they do not normally care about their bodies. This is why we may see that red meat eaters don't live as long. Still, it probably is not the red meat that is killing them off, rather, the environment they reside in (lack of exercise, social acceptance, depression, etc). This is one of reasons why we should take those meat studies with a grain of salt (no pun intended).

Edit: I see you mentioned taking smoking into account for vegetarians, but i'd like to see those studies, if any.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:37 PM

7,454 posts, read 7,060,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
But, correlation does not equal causality. Yes, vegetarians may live longer, but that's because most of them are healthier in other aspects. Red meat eaters are often lumped with smokers, alcoholics, etc., since they do not normally care about their bodies. This is why we may see that red meat eaters don't live as long. Still, it probably is not the red meat that is killing them off, rather, the environment they reside in (lack of exercise, social acceptance, depression, etc). This is one of reasons why we should take those meat studies with a grain of salt (no pun intended).

Edit: I see you mentioned taking smoking into account for vegetarians, but i'd like to see those studies, if any.
Not to mention vegetarians have more mental disorders:

Vegetarian diet and mental disorde... [Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI#

Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,207,502 times
Quote:
Huh? I'm really not sure what you have in mind, but older people (heck many younger ones as well) are being kept alive "artificially". They take pills, they get major surgeries, etc.... Those are all artificial things that keep people alive, and that is perfectly fine, but the pills, the surgeries reduce your overall health.

Sure, so when eat yourself into a heart attack....those public health systems can perform the necessary surgery, give you pills, etc....and you can go back to eating yourself to death for a bit longer than those in less developed countries.

Also, as for as longevity, the numbers are look backwards. The nation today is much more overweight than it use to be, its yet to be seen how this plays out.
Please show some evidence that vegetarians are healthier and use fewer pills and surgeries, corrected for obesity. What I'm claiming is that it's the obesity causing the poor health rather than the meat eating, but countries that eat lots of meat such as in Europe don't seem to overeat until they start building a lot of McDonalds.

The only evidence I've seen for vegetarians living slightly longer and healthier is Seventh Day Adventists, who have other factors that might cause that - such as better social/family values, and more home-cooked unprocessed foods. On the other hand, India is the country with the most vegetarians, and yet has poor health and longevity, even compared to thirdworld nations that eat meat (such as many Muslim countries).

I suppose that meat-eating can be a bit of a risk factor in societies that have long been able to afford all the meat they want, but that's only because meat is much more calorie-dense and easily absorbed than veggies ...... but if the meat eaters have suitably small portions, as with gypsychic's grandmother, then they wouldn't become obese and thus have a higher risk of illnesses.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Please show some evidence that vegetarians are healthier and use fewer pills and surgeries, corrected for obesity. What I'm claiming is that it's the obesity causing the poor health rather than the meat eating, but countries that eat lots of meat such as in Europe don't seem to overeat until they start building a lot of McDonalds.
I never suggested that vegetarians use less pills or surgeries, just that they have a bit higher life expectancy even after you control for smoking, etc. Vegetarians don't necessarily eat well though, removing meat from your diet doesn't magically make it healthful.

Obesity is an issue, but obesity is directly related to what you eat. Americans eat more meat than Europeans and Europeans have an obesity problem as well, its just worse in the US.

Excessive meat consumption is by no means the only problem in the American diet though...

Quote:
On the other hand, India is the country with the most vegetarians, and yet has poor health and longevity, even compared to thirdworld nations that eat meat (such as many Muslim countries).
India has a population of 1.2 billion, ~400 million of which live in poverty. And still, they manage to have life expectancy rates that are inline with nations with less poverty. I'm not sure what nation you have in mind, but mid-east nations have far less poverty than India.

Quote:
I suppose that meat-eating can be a bit of a risk factor in societies that have long been able to afford all the meat they want, but that's only because meat is much more calorie-dense and easily absorbed than veggies .....
Than veggies? Yes... but not plant food in general. Protein and carbohydrates have the same amount of calories, its all about the fat content. A lean piece of meat isn't that calorie dense, its the fatty meats that are calorie dense. Americans create unnaturally fat animals for consumption....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss