Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying this to defend meat-eating, but one thing I've noticed is that sometimes people have this weird disconnect with food. Like once a gun-toting republican of a co-worker (lol) brought in some deer meat summer sausage for us to all try and it was delicious and while I was enjoying a bite, another co-worker pointed out that "of course it's not good for you." And I was seriously flummoxed b/c this stuff was probably more natural than most of the crap that people eat and I regained my composure just long enough to point out that people only say stuff like that about meat products but I'll bet you $90 that if I were eating a twinkie, no one would bat an eye. What is with that? I've also heard similar observations when enjoying some homemade cake, but never with store bought ones. Do people think the calories are free in that stuff or something? Or that if it tastes like cardboard that it has no more calories than cardboard? Whew! Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And I was seriously flummoxed b/c this stuff was probably more natural than most of the crap that people eat and I regained my composure just long enough to point out that people only say stuff like that about meat products but I'll bet you $90 that if I were eating a twinkie, no one would bat an eye.
Umm...huh? People say these sorts of things about twinkies all the time....

Old 08-17-2012, 05:33 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Umm...huh? People say these sorts of things about twinkies all the time....
Yes I've heard that sort of thing too but not while I"m biting into one. It's like there's this fear associated with eating sausage or something.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes I've heard that sort of thing too but not while I"m biting into one. It's like there's this fear associated with eating sausage or something.
The vast majority of the country eats meat, including sausage, if there was such a fear I reckon the United States wouldn't be the top meat eating country....

Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,451,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Personally, I'm with you. Here is a fairly recent article from Taubes discussing yet another study that suggests the calorie in=calorie out theory of weight loss/gain is suspect:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/op...BqCES3TUB6lj1g

And is he making any bold deductions from the study? Not really - he calls for more research. What a quack!

Taubes is great because he simply, but effectively and persuasively, reports on the status of current research and has pointed out how little there is to back up so much of the accepted health advice we've received now for several decades. And when you acknowledge the undisputable fact that this accepted health advice has coincided with the twin epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the US and other western countries, an intellectually curious person might question the accepted advice. That's what Taubes has done. Of course, he comes from the perspective of a journalist with a science background.

I'd suggest you find a forum with more open minded individuals to discuss this topic. I find those on here who cloak themselves in the suspect "science" that supports the old tried and true (and failed) accepted dietary advice have incredibly closed minds on the subject. Which is ironic, isn't it? Taubes certaintly doesn't.
Amen! There are none more embarrassing than the self-appointed know-it-alls on CDF who have convinced themselves that their way is not only the right way, it's the ONLY way. They can't look at things with any sort of objectivity. I can only imagine what kind of social lives they have in real life.

I read Good Calories, Bad Calories over a year ago. It was an eyeopener. I didn't realize it was written with those in the field of science in mind. I appreciated the open-mindedness with which Taubes approached the subject, and the humility he expressed at even being able to assemble all his data. I'll have to see about this layman's edit you mentioned. Reps coming your way!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 AM

8,818 posts, read 21,292,593 times
The vast majority of the country eats meat, including sausage, if there was such a fear I reckon the United States wouldn't be the top meat eating country....

I don't think that the US is the "top meat-eating" country. I would imagine that New Zealand, Denmark and maybe Argentina would be higher.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,024,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

I don't think that the US is the "top meat-eating" country. I would imagine that New Zealand, Denmark and maybe Argentina would be higher.
I saw some statistics that said the US consumed the highest amount of beef per capita, but I have a hard time believing it.

So many statistics and be skewed to make a political point.

I've read about and seen documentaries about how much meat, mostly beef, is consumed in places like Argentina, which you mentioned. It's a way of life. And on my few trips to Europe and Russia, I've noticed meat is a very prominent part of most meals there. What isn't is a lot of refined carbs.

I'm confident that our obesity and diabeties epidemic that has only surfaced in the last few decades is not caused by Americans eating too much meat.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I saw some statistics that said the US consumed the highest amount of beef per capita, but I have a hard time believing it.

So many statistics and be skewed to make a political point.

I've read about and seen documentaries about how much meat, mostly beef, is consumed in places like Argentina, which you mentioned. It's a way of life. And on my few trips to Europe and Russia, I've noticed meat is a very prominent part of most meals there. What isn't is a lot of refined carbs.

I'm confident that our obesity and diabeties epidemic that has only surfaced in the last few decades is not caused by Americans eating too much meat.
The cause of obesity is Americans eating too much of everything. People are eating meals that are well over a 1000 calories a pop, not to mention snacking and not moving. Most of those calories tend to come from sugar and fats. People need to put their forks down and put their sneakers on.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,302,468 times
All science is complete BS. I had bacon for breakfast and I have been sitting at my desk literally all day so far, and my health has yet to decline. Take that eggheads.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM

326 posts, read 704,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
All science is complete BS. I had bacon for breakfast and I have been sitting at my desk literally all day so far, and my health has yet to decline. Take that eggheads.
You sir should be cut and dissected to see what it is that makes you invincible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss