Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 AM

326 posts, read 704,247 times

Advertisements

This looks like a better plate than MyPLate.Gov

Healthy Eating Plate vs. USDA's MyPlate - Healthy Eating Plate - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 AM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Just more of the same. We should be terrified of red meat, terrified of dairy, and we should expect to drop 40 pounds the second we switch from French bread to whole-wheat bread. Riiiight.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 AM

326 posts, read 704,247 times
I have no doubts red meat / Dairy/ and french bread can be incorporated into some diet that promotes weight loss. However, my concern for diets based around such items is longevity and maintaining functional health longer as we age. A lot of what they have on the Harvard plate agrees with my studies on the subject.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Just more of the same. We should be terrified of red meat, terrified of dairy, and we should expect to drop 40 pounds the second we switch from French bread to whole-wheat bread. Riiiight.
You must be reading a different link than I am. I'm reading the link actually provided by Sciameriken. Nowhere on that link does it suggest that people be terrified of anything, nor that anyone will automatically lose even 1 pound, let alone 40 pounds, by switching from French to whole-wheat.

What it -does- recommend, is that you follow some basic common-sense guidelines if you want to be healthy (not thin, not lose weight - this isn't a diet website, it's a health website). Those guidelines include:

LIMIT (not avoid) red meat.
LIMIT (not avoid) dairy.
Choose whole grains over processed grains, when possible (think: oatmeal with raisins and maple syrup, vs. a bowl of white flour, strawberry pie filling, and saccharine).
LIMIT highly processed foods, and choose whole foods when possible.

And it looks like the proportions are like this:

Grains = 25%
Proteins (including meat in limited portions) = 25%
Vegetables = 35%
Fruits = 15%

For what goes on the plate.

Add small amounts of dairy (including butter), plenty of water, and healthy oils.

I'm not seeing any scare mongering in this suggested eating choice.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You must be reading a different link than I am. I'm reading the link actually provided by Sciameriken. Nowhere on that link does it suggest that people be terrified of anything, nor that anyone will automatically lose even 1 pound, let alone 40 pounds, by switching from French to whole-wheat.

What it -does- recommend, is that you follow some basic common-sense guidelines if you want to be healthy (not thin, not lose weight - this isn't a diet website, it's a health website). Those guidelines include:

LIMIT (not avoid) red meat.
LIMIT (not avoid) dairy.
Choose whole grains over processed grains, when possible (think: oatmeal with raisins and maple syrup, vs. a bowl of white flour, strawberry pie filling, and saccharine).
LIMIT highly processed foods, and choose whole foods when possible.

And it looks like the proportions are like this:

Grains = 25%
Proteins (including meat in limited portions) = 25%
Vegetables = 35%
Fruits = 15%

For what goes on the plate.

Add small amounts of dairy (including butter), plenty of water, and healthy oils.

I'm not seeing any scare mongering in this suggested eating choice.
Looks like common sense eating to me.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Anything that says "avoid bacon" is no good. All kidding aside, even bacon has a place in a balanced diet.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Looks like common sense eating to me.
It does to me, too.

And I should follow it, but I haven't been, which is something I'm in the process of correcting. I need a -little- more protein, and a bit less grain, and somewhat less dairy.

I'm good on the veggies, if it's green and it isn't mushy or slimey, I'll eat it (so no guacamole, no eggplant, no artichoke, but whole snap peas, lettuce of all sorts, dill weed and other raw chopped herbs right in the salad. Raw or steamed brocolli, asparagus, string beans, yummmmmmm. I even _like_ parsley dipped in a little olive oil and minced garlic). As for grain, I'm not above chewing on the occasional stalk of wild rye grass, so I get a bit of everything in that - grain plus greens!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Anything that says "avoid bacon" is no good. All kidding aside, even bacon has a place in a balanced diet.
Absolutely. You can have 1 slice of bacon every third day.

Or, you could do it like me, save it as a treat once every few months, and eat 10 strips of it in a single setting (4 strips crumbled in your egg with swiss cheese, plus 6 strips on the side). Remember that's once every FEW months - not once a month

Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
As long as a persons diet is balanced and healthy bacon is fine once in awhile. I love bacon! Nothing should be off limits. Everything in moderation!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
As long as a persons diet is balanced and healthy bacon is fine once in awhile. I love bacon! Nothing should be off limits. Everything in moderation!
I love my bacon on the weekend! I cook it perfectly in the oven, thick cut, either hardwood smoked or cracked pepper style, and render almost all the fat out. But I eat this on only one day per week. I do love my cheese and butter though, and eat it every day, mostly at breakfast (with my whole grain bread and cup of berries). My dinner is usually a lean protein and large mixed greens salad, with perhaps a small pasta dish once per week.
My downfall is nuts - I love them and eat way too many of them despite my best intentions!

As to the diet plate linked- yes, mostly common sense eating. A couple small things I disagree with but easy enough to tweak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss