Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times

Advertisements

What are the negative effects (other than hunger) of not eating for a day or two and just consuming water and perhaps other liquids? I ask this because I can get through days just fine without eating at all and was wondering if this was a safe route to losing weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 11:07 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,766 times
no. it can totally screw up your metabolism...thats one reason i have real probs trying to lose weight now. it can lead to an eating disorder, and it can cause undo stress on your body.
not a good thing.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:30 AM

7 posts, read 37,459 times
Default Re : Not eating...

Hi JTraik,
Do not take risk because it's very bad for your health.I know the liquid and water is very important for our body.But some calories, fat etc are also important for our body.If you are not eating for lose some wait ,it's better to do some exercise than not eating.

-----------------------------------------------------
How to lose weight fast
[SIZE=-1]" There is no use living in your dreams or dreaming about your life without a well-planned course of action."[/SIZE]

Old 11-24-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpoll View Post
Hi JTraik,
Do not take risk because it's very bad for your health.I know the liquid and water is very important for our body.But some calories, fat etc are also important for our body.If you are not eating for lose some wait ,it's better to do some exercise than not eating.
Well I would like to know the actual negative effects. Like I said before I do not have any lack of energy doing this, I am not hungry and my mind functions normally. I know people who if they don't have their lunch then they act like they are dying and cannot function... I have never experienced this behavior.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:17 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
What are the negative effects (other than hunger) of not eating for a day or two and just consuming water and perhaps other liquids? I ask this because I can get through days just fine without eating at all and was wondering if this was a safe route to losing weight.
There are only two outcomes to this method.....one is a slow death and the other is getting fatter than ever after you srcewed your Body up
!!! ....period there is no middle ground or right way to starve, even though you dont feel hungry ...you organs are starving and shutting down !!! you need food to burn calories and fat....nutrients ect...come on now...do it right or seek help...or R.I.P

Old 11-24-2008, 09:51 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,049,321 times
IMHO the absence of food and bodily nourishment will reduce your immune system ! An impaired immune system will be an opportunity for any virus' and germs lurking around your environment (or already within your body) to impair you - make you sick, and I agree with the previous posts; it's a bad idea !

To effectively lose weight and keep it off, you must change your lifestyle to a more healthy one.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,850 times
JTrail, you might like to check out cleanses and fasts on the internet.

Lots of positive attributes if done correctly.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Nothing bad will happen to you if you don't eat and just drink water for a couple of days.

However, this is neither a safe nor effective way to diet. It will, as others here have suggested, Moderator cut: language
your metabolism and in the end lead to no appreciable weight loss.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-13-2009 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nothing bad will happen to you if you don't eat and just drink water for a couple of days.

However, this is neither a safe nor effective way to diet. It will, as others here have suggested, and in the end lead to no appreciable weight loss.
I have been on a dinner as the only meal routine for years, I have never eaten breakfast for an extended period of time and occasionally have lunches. I assume that my metabolism would slow down due to this behavior but like any machine, my body needs to consume fuel so would it not go for the fat stores? I have never healthfully dieted before and I am looking to start I would appreciate some suggestions if anyone has any.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-13-2009 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 02:31 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
You can do that without problem if you only go 1 day a week and eat well the rest of the week.
The body recognizes calorie drops when it goes over 3 days and starts to adjust the metabolism at that point. It doesnt make your immune system drop. Animals fast naturally when sick because it allows the body to only deal with infections and not digestion as well.

Since doing the dinner only is your way of life you may be lacking nutrients already and should start your weightloss by eating healthy foods that are non-processed to restore your body. A nutrient fueled body loses weight faster than a depleted one. If I were you I would fast the one day since you like it.
Do read up on it so you are getting enough water for your personal stats and are drinking the right things if you drink more than just water. On your fast day plan out the meals for the rest of the week.
If you want a free "walk you thru" type plan with meal suggestions google: "spark people diet"
It even has exercises you can try. ANd TONS of great articles. Sign up for the daily digest from them because its always great stuff and motivational quotes too.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss