Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 AM

326 posts, read 706,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, that explains it! Too bad it's not in a language I understand.....
I'll take a try -- The malliard reaction is the merger of proteins and carbohydrates into new molecules for which little is known on how they affect the human body. One way this process occurs is through cooking of food items which causes such things as the browning of meat or the "baked" look of bread. These tiny molecules also do a lot to contribute to the flavors of the food.

Malliard reactions are not restricted to cooking, however, and they also appear to happen through the normal course of daily life to blood glucose in our bodies. The newly formed mysterious compounds are called (advanced glycation endproducts) or AGEs. To counter this the body has receptors of AGEs (called RAGEs) the bind and lead to the destruction of AGEs. However, one of these RAGEs also appears to induce an inflammatory response which could impact our immune system, our physical performance or lead to increased fat. Thus, if you have AGEs levels higher than your body can handle it could lead to many chronic diseases such as diabetes and vision damage and more.

I believe the concerns that Fibonacci is raising is that excessive consumption of sugar and carbohydrates will lead to excessive levels of AGEs from A) higher consumption of cooked sugar and carbohydrates, as well as B) the increased blood glucose leading to formation of AGEs by our bodies.

Perhaps these concepts may be indicate the benefits of a paleo diet? In any case reduction of sugar and simple carbohydrates in the diet will be beneficial as well as exercise (Influence of Physical Activity Intervention o... [J Clin Med Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI). I think this research in this area is relatively new so there are probably more findings to come from it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM

48,634 posts, read 35,104,822 times
Thanks for the two explanations in English. Which at least I could comprehend.

It would seem to support a very low carb/sugar diet would help reduce inflammatory disease. Unfortunately, my personal experience of a heavy protein diet just caused massive inflammation in my body, and I hardly eat any sugar that isn't present in the whole food to begin with.

Maybe there is some happy middle ground that I'm still searching for.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,140,681 times
The anti-carbohydrate sentiment in America society today is just amusing...... Grouping all "sugar" and "carbohydrate" into the same group makes no sense whatsoever and though this isn't usually done in studies, it is done in the media and the general public.

Yes, carbohydrates are bad for human health, that would explain why human breast milk is richer in carbohydrates than most animals. Oh and a lot protein is good for health, that would explain the low quantity of protein in human beast milk. Oh wait....

Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thanks for the two explanations in English. Which at least I could comprehend.

It would seem to support a very low carb/sugar diet would help reduce inflammatory disease. Unfortunately, my personal experience of a heavy protein diet just caused massive inflammation in my body, and I hardly eat any sugar that isn't present in the whole food to begin with.

Maybe there is some happy middle ground that I'm still searching for.

Eating low carb/low sugar DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO EAT HIGH PROTEIN. Why does everyone automatically think that? RESEARCH IT. Yes, there maybe an increase in protein but it doesn't mean high or super high intake. Add good FATS!! Olive oil, nuts, avocado, flax seed, 2% and full fat yogurt and on and on to get your calories in.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,416,702 times
Anything can be toxic if you consume too much of it, this is NOT new news but no one wants to admit that they eat way too much sugar, carbs, or anything else.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,869,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Anything can be toxic if you consume too much of it, this is NOT new news but no one wants to admit that they eat way too much sugar, carbs, or anything else.
You'd be amazed at how "bad foods" taste, if you eliminate them or -drastically- reduce them from your daily diet. For instance, I stopped drinking soda as an actual beverage around 4 years ago. At that point, I was drinking one cup of coffee in the morning, and perhaps 12 ounces of soda every day. And no just normal plain water, at all, ever. In the winter I'd squeeze my own juice from fresh citrus fruits, and enjoy one 8-ounce glass of that once or twice a week.

When I stopped drinking soda, I started drinking water. I now drink at least 16 ounces of water daily, usually 32 ounces of water daily, and occasionally more than that but not often. I also still have my morning cup of coffee, and in the winter, I still enjoy fresh-squeezed citrus juice once or twice a week.

Now, when I "sneak a sip" from my husband's dinner glass of Pepsi, it's as if I just ate a whole package of Pop Rocks in a single gulp. Carbonated cola-flavored sugar exploding on its way down my throat. It's kinda neat. Definitely something I would no longer want to get used to, but it's a nice little treat to have just a sip every couple of weeks. I never really noticed how sweet Pepsi is, until I stopped drinking it.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
.... but no one wants to admit that they eat way too much sugar, carbs, or anything else.
So long as your diet contains at least 10% protein and 10% fat, there is no such thing as eating "too much carbs". Your body runs its best and prefers to run on glucose and (complex) carbohydrates supply your body with what it wants/needs.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Add good FATS!! Olive oil, nuts, avocado, flax seed, 2% and full fat yogurt and on and on to get your calories in.
Good fats? Well given your list of foods all fats must be good.....because these contain every sort of fat. So which exactly are good and which are bad?

There are no "good fats", just less bad fats. When you replace a "bad fat" with a "good fat", it improves health. But eating a "good fat", in itself, is not healthy......

Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,853,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Good fats? Well given your list of foods all fats must be good.....because these contain every sort of fat. So which exactly are good and which are bad?

There are no "good fats", just less bad fats. When you replace a "bad fat" with a "good fat", it improves health. But eating a "good fat", in itself, is not healthy......
There are indeed good fats that the body needs in order to be healthy.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,302,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

You honestly don't realize that our bodies need some fats -and that some fats are good for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss