Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:26 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You honestly don't realize that our bodies need some fats -and that some fats are good for us?

Unless you want to really aggravate yourself... don't even bother responding to these posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Unless you want to really aggravate yourself... don't even bother responding to these posts.
Excellent advice - temporary lapse in judgment!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 PM

48,632 posts, read 35,099,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Eating low carb/low sugar DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO EAT HIGH PROTEIN. Why does everyone automatically think that? RESEARCH IT. Yes, there maybe an increase in protein but it doesn't mean high or super high intake. Add good FATS!! Olive oil, nuts, avocado, flax seed, 2% and full fat yogurt and on and on to get your calories in.
Thanks I eat most of that anyway. I did high protein relatively carefully and logged in all my food.

Really, most diets divide up food categories into carbs/protein/fats, if you go low carb you have to raise protein and fats right?

Either way, my body reduces it's inflammation when I go whole grain/fruits/veggies and lower protein.

For me it's either I eat like that or my RA flares wayyyy up.

I'm not really concerned if it doesn't for other people, it's that way for me.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,463,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I saw a Mallard duck last week. Does that mean I eat too much sugar?

Hey, chick, how ya doing?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Hey, chick, how ya doing?
You quack me up.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are indeed good fats that the body needs in order to be healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You honestly don't realize that our bodies need some fats -and that some fats are good for us?
Yep, the body needs some fat, namely small amounts of the essential fatty acids (LA and ALA). I mention this in my post before the one you're quoting....

But you're ignoring the point, talking about "good fats" is deceptive and one just needs to look at brava4's pst to see that. He talks about "good fats" yet lists foods that contain all the fats...so which one is good? Apparently all are good..... Furthermore, pointing to the fact that the body needs small amounts of the essential fatty acids doesn't demonstrate that there are fats that are "good", which gives people the idea that they can consume them without consequence.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thanks I eat most of that anyway. I did high protein relatively carefully and logged in all my food.

Really, most diets divide up food categories into carbs/protein/fats, if you go low carb you have to raise protein and fats right?

Either way, my body reduces it's inflammation when I go whole grain/fruits/veggies and lower protein.

For me it's either I eat like that or my RA flares wayyyy up.

That is great that you have found what helps you, what works for you. That is all that matters.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 AM

42,037 posts, read 75,463,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Now, when I "sneak a sip" from my husband's dinner glass of Pepsi, it's as if I just ate a whole package of Pop Rocks in a single gulp. Carbonated cola-flavored sugar exploding on its way down my throat. It's kinda neat. Definitely something I would no longer want to get used to, but it's a nice little treat to have just a sip every couple of weeks.
I'm the same way about Pepsi or Coke. It's fun to drink about a shot-glass' worth every now and then ... and after the sugar hits me, I'm reminded why I no longer drink the stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are indeed good fats that the body needs in order to be healthy.
Agreed. Fats keep our skin supple, and help our brains function properly, among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's the important part! Whatever works.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Agreed. Fats keep our skin supple, and help our brains function properly, among other things.
The body only needs relatively small amounts of polyunsaturated fat, namely omega-3 and omega-6. All the others can be synthesized by the body....

Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yep, the body needs some fat, namely small amounts of the essential fatty acids (LA and ALA). I mention this in my post before the one you're quoting....

But you're ignoring the point, talking about "good fats" is deceptive and one just needs to look at brava4's pst to see that. He talks about "good fats" yet lists foods that contain all the fats...so which one is good? Apparently all are good..... Furthermore, pointing to the fact that the body needs small amounts of the essential fatty acids doesn't demonstrate that there are fats that are "good", which gives people the idea that they can consume them without consequence.
Ok. I doubt very much that very many people think they can eat a HIGH FAT diet and not gain some weight.

My point is that healthy fats (aka "good fats") IN MODERATION are healthy to eat. For instance, the fat in avocados or in almonds or olives. IN MODERATION. That's the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss