Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,535,353 times

Advertisements

Ok you know me around here and I am the one always testing out the new products! Once in awhile I stumble onto a good one. I am not affiliated at all with this product. I found it on the shelf of Whole Foods Market. Its the first time I have seen it and there was only two boxes. Its call Susan's sugar free french cookies. I do a lower carb/sugar free diet so I said ok I will try it. Well tasted the almond cookies first. They were great. No blood sugar spike, no cravings to eat the whole damn box and excellent taste. I tried them on Husband and he loved them too!! Then tried the choc. and they were great. If you cant take malitol or wheat these are not for you. With a nice size cookie with oats in it, crunch and great taste they pack 57 calories per cookie, no sugar 8 grams of carbs. I had two a day so far and have not gained one ounze!! In fact I lost 1 lbs so no stall. Just some fyi!! I called the company and ordered the ginger and the orange choc. we shall see how those are.

Now I would not eat every day but when you want a cookie and dont feel like baking yourself this is a great alternative if you can handle malitol and wheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,821,202 times
Do you mean maltitol? I couldn't find anything on a google search on malitol. Maltitol is made from starch. It's used in making hard candies, it doesn't promote tooth decay because natural mouth bacteria doesn't want it (in layman's terms), it's lower in calories than sucrose (cane sugar), properly-controlled diabetics can tolerate it well, and it can be used similarly to regular sugar in baking. The main downside, is it's not as sweet as sucrose so if you're needing a certain amount of sweetness, you'd need to adjust proportions. Like, instead of a teaspoon, you'd need a teaspoon and a quarter. It's not much of a difference but it can change the consistency of a finished product.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Do you mean maltitol? I couldn't find anything on a google search on malitol. Maltitol is made from starch. It's used in making hard candies, it doesn't promote tooth decay because natural mouth bacteria doesn't want it (in layman's terms), it's lower in calories than sucrose (cane sugar), properly-controlled diabetics can tolerate it well, and it can be used similarly to regular sugar in baking. The main downside, is it's not as sweet as sucrose so if you're needing a certain amount of sweetness, you'd need to adjust proportions. Like, instead of a teaspoon, you'd need a teaspoon and a quarter. It's not much of a difference but it can change the consistency of a finished product.
yes I do mean maltitol. Great research, yes I can tolerate it. I had one of these almond cookies and it was damn good. The best part is I can stop and just eat one. There are many of these sugar free things that I cant do that with but this does it for me. Its a nice little treat. Thanks for your research, I think you are so bright but best of all a moderate with food. Your normal and its refreshing to see this!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,821,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
yes I do mean maltitol. Great research, yes I can tolerate it. I had one of these almond cookies and it was damn good. The best part is I can stop and just eat one. There are many of these sugar free things that I cant do that with but this does it for me. Its a nice little treat. Thanks for your research, I think you are so bright but best of all a moderate with food. Your normal and its refreshing to see this!!!
Thanks, you're always so sweet (But low calorie, right?)

I'm very fortunate in that my "daily" food tastes run relatively low-calorie, so I don't really need to worry about my total calorie intake. Unfortunately, those calories are typically jam-packed with carbs. I'm a bread and dairy junkie. I've been getting much better with the bread, but the cheese is just way too hard to cut down on. The more I cut down, the more I crave it, and the bigger the portion of ice cream when I finally break down. I've gotten better at *that* too, in that I've switched from Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch (my nemesis) to Talenti Banana Chocolate Chip Swirl gelato. It has around 1/3 less fat, fewer calories, less sugar, but it still has lots of calcium. It's not "diet" food, but the nature of a genuine gelato is less unhealthy than full-fat ice cream (Notice I don't say more healthy, I say less unhealthy. That's intentional )

I'm also working out a LOT more at the gym, and tis the season for riding the bike in the good ole outdoors, so I'm getting plenty of sunshine and fresh air and exercise.

Man I love Autumn in New England

Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,820,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Now I would not eat every day but when you want a cookie and dont feel like baking yourself this is a great alternative if you can handle malitol and wheat.
One great thing about the "-itols" for me is that they are self limiting--one or two is all I can handle. If I overindulge, I won't be happy later but I never feel the compulsion to keep eating the stuff the way I would with real sugar. One good thing about cookies and chocolate is that there is a lot less of the stuff in them than in things like sugar free candies. I have a WF nearby so I think I'll try those--they sound very good.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM

thanks to both of you. Yes they are good. They are so good that I called the lady who runs the company. Its a little old lady with a French husband. I ordered thru them. My whole foods in Paramus carries them. BTW, my husband LOVES the almond flavor.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Thanks, you're always so sweet (But low calorie, right?)

I'm very fortunate in that my "daily" food tastes run relatively low-calorie, so I don't really need to worry about my total calorie intake. Unfortunately, those calories are typically jam-packed with carbs. I'm a bread and dairy junkie. I've been getting much better with the bread, but the cheese is just way too hard to cut down on. The more I cut down, the more I crave it, and the bigger the portion of ice cream when I finally break down. I've gotten better at *that* too, in that I've switched from Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch (my nemesis) to Talenti Banana Chocolate Chip Swirl gelato. It has around 1/3 less fat, fewer calories, less sugar, but it still has lots of calcium. It's not "diet" food, but the nature of a genuine gelato is less unhealthy than full-fat ice cream (Notice I don't say more healthy, I say less unhealthy. That's intentional )

I'm also working out a LOT more at the gym, and tis the season for riding the bike in the good ole outdoors, so I'm getting plenty of sunshine and fresh air and exercise.

Man I love Autumn in New England
good that your back in the gym. You were once a gym rat!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss