Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Did I say I was in the military? Because I was never in the military. I know what my problem is there just isn't an easy answer to it. I eat a lot of times for non hunger reasons which I won't go into here. When I became obese around 18 I stayed that way for about 2 years, I was 6 feet 260 and not too much muscle. I got seriously injured in a car accident had to go to therapy for a year and found out I like going to the gym. So one day I got so disguisted with looking at myself I decided I would do whatever it took to get to about 180 and I did it in about 8 months. I worked out 6 days a week and cut my calories. I then moved to a nice peaceful college town and biked to campus almost every day. Plus my metabolism was faster in my 20's then current 40's. Once I graduated and I became so stressed out in the corp. sales world I started stress eating and slowly I went from 190 to 215 to 270. I got down to 250, the 235, back to 240ish and then I went on 5 bite and dropped down to 200 and bounced back to 210 after I was fired recently. Working out has almost never been a problem. Eating when I am not hungry is my problem and I have had that problem since I was about 6. Mom wasn't the best parent well leave it at that.

It is well past the time to quit blaming Mom for you continueing to choose to eat when you are not hungry, knowing that you eat when you are not hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:11 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,432 times
Why won't you just try WW, you eat what you want and it teaches portion control.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:16 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,498,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is well past the time to quit blaming Mom for you continueing to choose to eat when you are not hungry, knowing that you eat when you are not hungry.
I don't blame her now at all and you should watch your tone. First your reading comprehension is bad and now you want to telll me about what I should do about growing up in abusive household. You are way out of line. Anyone with half a brain knows that their early years shape the rest of their life. You have bad role models and you are going to have issues.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Why won't you just try WW, you eat what you want and it teaches portion control.
I would consider it, and have, but I don't want to go to their support meetings.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,312,266 times
You don't even have to go to Weight Watchers. You don't have to pay anyone anything at all, and you don't have to go to meetings or support groups. I prefer to do things on my own, too.

I've been using myfitnesspal.com since mid-April, and have lost 52 pounds. I'm eating pretty much anything I want, as long as it's in moderation, and will fit in my daily calorie budget. No points system, no gimmicky diets - just mainly fresh fruits and vegetables, and lots of protein. I still eat carbs, too. The only thing I cut out of my diet completely was soda, and any sugary drink. I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them.

Tonight I had steak, baked potato and spinach for dinner. Tomorrow night I'm making oven-fried buffalo chicken.

It sounds cliche, but it's true - you need to make a permanent lifestyle change. You can't do that with extreme, gimmicky diets, because you can't keep it up forever. Everything in moderation is something you can do forever. Keeping track of the calories you're taking in allows you to lose weight without completely depriving yourself of the foods you love. I log my food before I eat it, which makes me stop and think what I'm about to eat, and allows myself time to make a change, if necessary.

However, nothing in the world will work if you're not in the right place mentally. You need to stop blaming people and circumstances for the state you're in, and just work to improve your situation.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I would consider it, and have, but I don't want to go to their support meetings.
You don't have to. I did weight watchers in January and lost 11 pounds from January to April, I didn't do the support meetings at all, I just tracked online and used recipes from the site as well as skinny taste. I was on their nursing plan since I was breastfeeding. Unfortunately they give you a ton of points if your nursing and I found that the weight was coming off too slow for me. I then did south beach and lost in additional 6 pounds and my weight loss just stalled I even gained back 2 of the pounds I lost WHILE I was in phase 1 and had not changed my habits at all... So at the beginning of the summer I started eating foods I enjoyed but in moderation and I did resistance training and cardio and I lost 6 pounds in a month. Unfortunately I had to get on steriods for a while for hives, and I've gained so much weight. I am now off the steriods but the hives are still here and I'm fatter. Go figure.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:58 PM

741 posts, read 1,680,606 times
Quote:
I don't blame her now at all and you should watch your tone. First your reading comprehension is bad and now you want to telll me about what I should do about growing up in abusive household. You are way out of line. Anyone with half a brain knows that their early years shape the rest of their life. You have bad role models and you are going to have issues.
First of all, I'm sorry that you grew up in an abusive household..I did too, and at 42, am embracing and accepting everything that I went through as a child, and part of my adult life, to experience..

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Anyway,it sounds as though you may be struggling with overeating, and I am too..so are a lot of people..and a lot of people won't admit it. People from all kinds of backgrounds have issues with food and overindulgence.

Starvation diets have gone out of fashion as society has become more educated regarding nutrition. I jokingly said that I wanted to try the 5 bite diet for a day, and I wouldn't mind trying it for 1 day because it sounded interesting. I doubt that I could survive 1 meal, let alone 1 day though.

As I stated in my opening sentence, I really am sorry for whatever you went through and no one should minimize or invalidate you..

Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
First of all, I'm sorry that you grew up in an abusive household..I did too, and at 42, am embracing and accepting everything that I went through as a child, and part of my adult life, to experience..

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Anyway,it sounds as though you may be struggling with overeating, and I am too..so are a lot of people..and a lot of people won't admit it. People from all kinds of backgrounds have issues with food and overindulgence.

Starvation diets have gone out of fashion as society has become more educated regarding nutrition. I jokingly said that I wanted to try the 5 bite diet for a day, and I wouldn't mind trying it for 1 day because it sounded interesting. I doubt that I could survive 1 meal, let alone 1 day though.

As I stated in my opening sentence, I really am sorry for whatever you went through and no one should minimize or invalidate you..
Thanks I appreciate the support it means a lot. I never actually went on just 10 bites. Like I mentioned in my original post I always ate 20-30 bites a day so I am probably a lot closer to weight watchers than most think. The real thing I like about the concept was like WW you can eat what you want in small portions. Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
You don't even have to go to Weight Watchers. You don't have to pay anyone anything at all, and you don't have to go to meetings or support groups. I prefer to do things on my own, too.

I've been using myfitnesspal.com since mid-April, and have lost 52 pounds. I'm eating pretty much anything I want, as long as it's in moderation, and will fit in my daily calorie budget. No points system, no gimmicky diets - just mainly fresh fruits and vegetables, and lots of protein. I still eat carbs, too. The only thing I cut out of my diet completely was soda, and any sugary drink. I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them.

Tonight I had steak, baked potato and spinach for dinner. Tomorrow night I'm making oven-fried buffalo chicken.

It sounds cliche, but it's true - you need to make a permanent lifestyle change. You can't do that with extreme, gimmicky diets, because you can't keep it up forever. Everything in moderation is something you can do forever. Keeping track of the calories you're taking in allows you to lose weight without completely depriving yourself of the foods you love. I log my food before I eat it, which makes me stop and think what I'm about to eat, and allows myself time to make a change, if necessary.

However, nothing in the world will work if you're not in the right place mentally. You need to stop blaming people and circumstances for the state you're in, and just work to improve your situation.
When I lost the most weight it was doing the above^. Though I didn't count calories, I just counted portions. I only had 1.5 servings of food for dinner. A small breakfast, a small lunch, snacks in between--plenty of fruits, etc. I lost 6 pounds that month(I can't lose too much it seems, because I'm breastfeeding my body is really holding on to the weight). I gained weight after taking prednisone and I'm now on a more restrictive diet, as a way to get rid of toxins that I believe was caused from eating processed foods, and sweets, and white "carbs". I'm only eat fresh fruits, veggies, greek yogurt, milk, and baked chicken, fresh fish, or chicken breast, I eat a bowl of hot cereal for breakfast. That's it... I've cut everything else out until I feel better and then I'll slowly modify to eat the way I was before in moderation.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:57 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,312,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
When I lost the most weight it was doing the above^. Though I didn't count calories, I just counted portions. I only had 1.5 servings of food for dinner. A small breakfast, a small lunch, snacks in between--plenty of fruits, etc. I lost 6 pounds that month(I can't lose too much it seems, because I'm breastfeeding my body is really holding on to the weight). I gained weight after taking prednisone and I'm now on a more restrictive diet, as a way to get rid of toxins that I believe was caused from eating processed foods, and sweets, and white "carbs". I'm only eat fresh fruits, veggies, greek yogurt, milk, and baked chicken, fresh fish, or chicken breast, I eat a bowl of hot cereal for breakfast. That's it... I've cut everything else out until I feel better and then I'll slowly modify to eat the way I was before in moderation.
Before I started making the serious effort to lose weight, I had phased out as many processed foods as possible, and started making an effort to eat more vegetables. I had also been going to the farmers market every week. I think making these changes before embarking on a weight loss effort really helped; I didn't feel like I was making a drastic change. By that time, the biggest change I was making was in portion size, and it didn't bother me much.

I do have some processed foods now and then, though. I still love my Blue Bell ice cream, and have some once or twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss