Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times

Advertisements

You are really not understanding much of what you're talking about, tofurkey. Gluten is a protein present in wheat, barley, and rye. There is no guten in oats, or rice, or quinoa, or pretty much any other grain in existence. It is specific to a certain type of grain, not all grains.

So, if you are supposed to avoid gluten, you can still enjoy grains. Just not wheat, barley, or rye.

You talk about the Paleo diet, and in that paragraph, you explain:
Quote:
Grains today are not what humans had back when everybody was a farmer.
That has nothing to do with the Paleo diet. The "Paleo" in the Paleo diet refers to Paleolithic, which was pre-agriculture. The diet sales pitch is that we have to eat what Paleolithic Man ate if we want to be lean, and that eating grain is not natural for humans. What the sales-scammers conveniently forget, is a little thing many of us like to call "evolution." They also forget that not all humans come from areas where meat is abundant, and there are areas of the world now where meat is consumed but -not- as a staple of the diet, where fish is more prevalent, and where grain is plentiful and abundant and nourishing. The Paleo diet scam-mongers also pretend that since Paleo man didn't have bicycles or go to the gym, modern people on the Paleo diet don't need regular exercise. They forget about that thing Paleo used to do - what's it called? Oh yeah - spending 6-12 hours daily hunting. The Paleo diet is based on ignorance and outright lies. There are some useful nuggets in it, but for the most part, it's not a healthy long-term diet for the vast majority of Americans (which is the demographic targetted in its advertising pitch).

The Sensa diet isn't even a diet. It's just artificially flavored corn starch (remember, corn is a GRAIN - in case you're forgetting that in regards to your claim that you don't eat any grain because it contains gluten - and corn doesn't contain gluten either), a mineral used to replace electrolytes and comes with a host of unpleasant and even dangerous potential side effects (the label on the Sensa box warns you to see a doctor immediately if you have any of those side effects), silica (which is another word for sand), milk solids and soy, for the most part. The mineral ingredient is in there to literally make your stomach hurt, thus giving you the false feeling of fullness. Nausea and bloating - is that really what you want to experience after enjoying a meal? Blech. If that's what I really wanted to feel, I'd have a whole small bacon pizza instead of putting some crappy flavor crystals on a bowl of brussels sprouts.

As for exercise, you should exercise because it's a healthy thing to do. You should do it whether you need to lose weight, gain weight are the perfect weight. Weight comes off, when you're used to NOT exercising, and -start- exercising. Weight comes off, when you've been exercising, and you start exercising more. When you burn more calories than you consume or hold in your body, then you lose weight. That is thermodynamics, it's a law of science, sort of like gravity on the planet earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 02:46 PM

525 posts, read 765,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I am so discouraged. I am purposely staying under 1400 cals and working my ass off. Myfitnesspal app is my third arm. But yet im not losing any weight. Here is an interesting side note, my waist is getting smaller. I went from my third belt loop to first. Why would my waist be getting smaller but not my weight?

I'd say if by the end of this month if nothing changes im switching out my workout routine to something like insanity or P90X.
Because "eat less, move more" is an UNSCIENTIFIC NOSTRUM WHICH DOES NOT WORK. Look into Dr. Jeffrey Friedman. See my links.

NONE of these people know what they are talking about.

YOur body is NOT passive IT FIGHT BACK STRONGLY. IT LOWERS METABOLSIM, INCREASES EFFECIENCY OF MUSCULAR CONTRACTIONS TO SAVE ENERGY. THERE IS NO END TO ITS TRICKS TO KEEP YOU WHERE IT WANTS TO.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,850,070 times
Honestly, there are so many different diets out there. And each one works. However, how "much" it works, usually is individual. Just like there are some people who loose a ton of weight eating under 1400 calories and working out daily, there are those who just "can't" and they either need to eat more, or work out less. Same goes for other diets--you'll always find a group of people who will say they did the EXACT same things you did and yet they lost way more weight than you and in a faster amount of time. There will also be those that are like you that don't lose weight and wonder why. I've tried many diets--WW, South Beach, Clean eating, Atkins, etc. And each one worked differently, in terms of how I looked after I was done, how much weight I loss, where I lost it, and how quickly. With WW it was the slowest amount of WW, and it wasn't AS visible IMO, plus I was always hungry. South Beach-quick weight loss, not as hungry, but then plateau rather early on in the diet--same with Atkins. Clean eating was very little weight loss, but I lost a few inches, and my stomach did get incredibly flat. I tried counting calories-appropriate to what I NEEDED(hint "I", because not everyone will need as much as what I eat) and I worked out and did resistance training 5-6 times a week, I lost the most weight doing that and lost it the quickest. I believe I was eating about 2000 calories a day. And I was working out about hour and 15 minutes a day(of resistance and cardio) 6 days a week, and breastfeeding as well. However I hit a plateau when I had to get on steriods for an extended period of time.

Then three weeks ago I decided I was sick of dieting, counting calories, and such and just stopped. I stopped worrying about "food" and it's effects on my body(mainly weight gain) and started eating what I wanted. I found that because I knew I could eat what I wanted, when I wanted, that I no longer felt the "same" need to eat as much, since I knew the food would always be there. I also FORCED myself to change my thoughts whenever I started focusing too much on weight loss etc. What I found is the less I focused on it, and the more I stopped worrying about "food", that the weight started coming off. I also don't eat very much anymore(I admit) I'm on my feet all day with my son, and gone most of the day and so I just don't eat. In the last 2.5-3 weeks I've lost 7 pounds without trying.

So what is my point? You have to figure out WHAT works for YOU. Clearly eating under 1400 calories is NOT working for you. Plenty of people have recommended what you CAN do, but you need to find the method that is most realistic and easy for you to do. And once you get results and they keep coming then you'll know that you've found the right "method". But if I were you, I would start trying to figure out what you think will work. Maybe you need to eat less, maybe you need to eat more, maybe you need more cardio, or resistance. Or maybe you need to stop obsessing over weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss