Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 12:24 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times

Advertisements

I really do not have a huge problem with going to a buffet occasionally.

Well, saving for the fact that it is usually a pretty sad and gross experience.

Being around massive people, as they load-up plate after plate of food that is, for the most part, unhealthy and low-quality, seems to be a downer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 12:29 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
No. I cannot control portion control @ buffets so avoid.

Old 09-03-2022, 04:48 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
No. I cannot control portion control @ buffets so avoid.
I avoid buffets because I can't stand the idea that someone just sneezed on the bacon I'm about to put on my plate. Or that the kid who just sat down with HIS plate of bacon didn't just grab some with his snot-and-filth-covered fingers, and mom made him put some back, and that's the bacon I'm about to pick up with the tongs.

Brrrrrrrrr ugh, buffets. Disgusting.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:20 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,490,601 times
Buffets are generally a bad idea because of the mentality to "get your money's worth". That's a recipe (pardon the pun) for disaster. I occasionally have a cheat day, like yesterday when we went to the local BBQ place where I loaded up. That on top of several beers last night cost me a gain of 2 pounds, but as long as you get back on track, it's fine. Same with the occasional buffet, just make sure they're truly occasional.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:05 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,747,075 times
I'm not really interested in eating at a buffet. I eat small simple meals, meat or seafood and fresh vegetables. I definitely wouldn't get my money's worth and I'm going to pass over 90% of the choices. If I decide to "cheat" it will be with something special, not buffet food.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:17 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
last time I ate at a buffet, I got an intestinal infection that took 2 rounds of antibiotics to cure. I was sick for over a month.

So, yeah, buffets are a great weight loss aid.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:41 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
Oh absolutely. Buffets are a great way to maintain your diet or drop weight. I used to contest (fitness) diet at Ryan's when it was still around. I was too tired to cook with my training schedule so we would go to Ryan's and I would load up on a huge Romain lettuce salad with their fresh grilled mushrooms, steamed broccoli (I like the hot and cold combo) and drizzle just a tad bit of low fat ranch on it.

Main dish was broiled fish/baked chicken with more broccoli, asparagus and green beans. The buffet made me feel like part of the human "eating race" instead of alone in my space with tupperware containers of chicken and asparagus. We ate out a lot at that time (and I won state/regional or did well at the national level shows). So it works.

Today, after covid, only the Chinese buffets remain and we go on occasion. I still make choices such as salad, the fresh green beans, broiled salmon and fish and some of the chicken dishes. For desert, I have coconut chicken and scrape off the coating, and just eat the chicken inside to get a "wiff" of sweetness.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
I find buffets to be delightful places. When you attempt to eat healthy, choices are limited. But I love the large choices of salads and vegetables as well as different styles of chicken and fish. I get my money's worth by loading up on the greens. And then loading up some more.

Eating healthy can be monotonous - but buffets give you a wide variety of "good" choices and I like being around people. I don't see sad people at buffets (or don't really look to see them). They are just the typical every day person that you see everywhere else that happens to be there. Whatever food choices they make there are most likely the food choices they always make anywhere.

Resteraunts give you a menu item dish of one choice for a meal that you usually read through to know it is healthy. Buffets provide an endless array of healthy choices.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:45 PM

344 posts, read 145,021 times
I can eat anything , once in a while.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:04 AM

846 posts, read 684,328 times
As someone who lost a lot of weight, me personally, I don't eat at buffets. They sort of encourage people to eat more to get their money's worth. And that doesn't fit with my current mindset.

I personally prefer to spread out my meals across the day. Instead, I'd go to a restaurant. Order a dish, and then take half of it home to finish 2 hours later.

(This isn't to say you can't eat at buffets and still lose weight. But you'd have to limit your portion sizes and maybe not go to buffets too often).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss