Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 06:18 PM

6,892 posts, read 11,283,266 times

Advertisements

I've lost around 18 pounds since July 2nd. We've had some family events and dinners where you had to eat what was there and I've had a few of those days.

Thanksgiving is not a problem for me - the desserts that will be served are not to my liking and everything else is workable.

I have a family event 12 days from now and I'm really trying to stay on course. It is time for a good pound drop since I've been faithful for about 11-13 days but I'm being really tested.

I am exercising but I would love to go to this family event and feel better, more confident. Most of my family (relatives) are on the thinner side and work out all the time.

I need some strategies to get my mind off food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 PM

994 posts, read 978,542 times
You can try filling up on water , like really fill up. I am talking about 2 bottles of water if you can within 30 minutes before attending the dinner . You can chew gum, psych yourself out. Watch some workout videos of goals you want to reach before attending the dinner, again within 30 minutes before .

Old 11-18-2017, 08:38 PM

11,220 posts, read 7,273,574 times
Eat before you go to the events, or eat most of what you need, and only eat the healthier things while your there. Eat slowly, drink a lot of water, sort of minimalize what's on your plate.

Think of the healthiness of avoiding foods, rather than giving in. Less is better. Food consumption isn't mandatory.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 PM

Smile Thank you!

Weekends are the worst for me. I just am alone a lot more, more temptation and so forth.

But I made it through yesterday.

Today has been much easier so thank you for the water suggestion. I drink about 8 glasses a day but just throughout the day. So, I will try to drink the whole glass about 30 minutes to an hour before a meal.

I'm not worried about the family events as far as food goes. As I said, most in my family are thin and one of my sisters would slap my hand if I even reached for a cookie. She is around 105 pounds, always thin, no stomach, just always thin.

Some have seen me throughout the year and there a few that have not. Hopefully, it will show that I've lost around 20 pounds; if not, there's always Christmas/New Year's and I'm shooting for a total loss of 30 by then.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Smile Three days after I wrote the first post....

Wow, on Saturday, I was really tested all day. The cravings were huge but I stayed with it and on Sunday, felt so much better and today, late on Monday, the cravings seem to be gone.

Actually thrilled about that.

Yes, water helps. I drink it all day but I am drinking 8 ounces in a few minutes rather than longer.

Great idea, thanks!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,863,783 times
Just curious what do you consider unhealthy?

I went thru a hospital/rehab 4.5 months issue and due to meds and no appetite for some weeks, lost 30 lbs. What a difference that has made. But skin does hang in some areas, but I don't care. Less weight for sure on my problem knee. I let myself go with social bridge parties now in retirement. Being very careful now to NOT put that weight back on. A couple lbs I won't fret but no more.

I've gone gluten free for the most part and I buy these very tasty gluten free crackers and find myself eating too many, they are carbs. I keep no breads in my house. I just realized about the crackers.

My knee keeps me from exercising as I have all my life. I drink water all day too.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:09 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,593,794 times
I keep a supply of nuts for snacking when I'm home. I also love chewing on cinnamon sticks, chewing gum, have been known to enjoy pickles and will drink a cup of coffee when really in need of something flavorful. My strategy is to have multiple (very) low calorie snacking options for when I just simply need or want a snack.

Walking around feeling hungry is a recipe for disaster, you either have to busily distract yourself or find a way to make it go away.

Good luck, you've already been successful and so just need to keep at it.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 AM

Smile Unhealthy for me....

I love ice cream and we just have a brand new cool ice cream place that has opened locally with also super baked cookies (think Mrs. Fields but larger) - amazing! The ice cream is done all different ways with nitrogen and very awesome!

But, I only certain like ice cream flavors. I'm very picky. Only the bad stuff. LOL.

Better for me to stay away.

Now, my husband who is 10 pounds over when we got married 30 years ago is easy to convince. If I say I would love an ice cream from XXX, he'll say "I'll be right back, want a cookie also?"

So, he is getting better at telling me no. I told him to do that. (It's just that I think he wants one too but he can get one on his own but then he feels guilty). LOL.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:19 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,863,783 times
I enjoy SMALL spoons of ice cream or gelato now and then, but don't overdose. Sometimes buy choc mint klondike bars and cut one in half for a topper from my dinner. Not overdoing it is the key.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:07 PM

582 posts, read 766,566 times
My only advice to you and without reading all the other replies: GET OUT OF THE DIET MENTALITY!
Enjoy all the food in moderation. cakes and sweets shouldn't be forbidden. they should be part of your diet but on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss