Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,255,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm no diet expert,but you say you burn 300 calories doing Wii fit.

Aren't you supposed to add those calories back into your diet?
Meaning you could go up to 1500 calories per day?

I know sparkpeople does it that way.
Isn't the whole point of losing weight burning more calories than you're taking in? If you burn 300 calories but then eat an extra 300 calories, what's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,255,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Never tried that. Maybe I could experiment...not sure how to make it thicker...or maybe I'm used to the canned stuff. How would you make it thicker and not so watery?

I suppose I should start to get to know the kitchen other than the microwave!
You could add more ingredients like vegetables, meat and noodles to make the soup thicker I suppose. I'm not really an expert when it comes to cooking either

Don't be too stressed about what you eat, you won't be able to keep it up if you count every calorie. It's fine to eat an unhealthy snack every now and then, just don't overdo it.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM

30,411 posts, read 23,880,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're referring to "net calories."

Myfitnesspal does the same thing but it's important to understand what it "means."

You burn around 1000 calories just sitting on a couch watching TV for 16 hours a day, then sleeping for 8 hours a day. (I don't know the exact amount, it's posted all over the internet and I don't want to look it up. But use that as a hypothetical and plug in the appropriate number when you find it)

That doesn't mean you can eat another 1000 calories.

That 1250 calories the program says you can eat, takes into consideration that you're burning off 1000 calories just by existing. If existing didn't burn off 1000 calories, you'd have to only eat 250 calories, to get the same result.

If you burn 1250 calories during the day instead of just the base 1000, then yes you should include another 250 calories in your menu, to "net" 1250 calories ingested. But that doesn't mean you can eat a twinkie, because you *still* have to satisfy the maximum carbs, since the calories are broken down into categories. You're "allowed" to have X carbs, X proteins, X fats, X cholesterol - whatever criteria you have chosen to add into the mix or whatever criteria the program has created for you.

If those "extra" 250 calories are pure sugar, you'll go over your carb limit. If those extra calories are mostly fat, you'll go over your fat limit.

This is WHY it is so hard to meet the max-calorie limits when you're using those programs as a guide for healthy weight loss; because when you make those calories low-fat, low-carb, low-sodium, and low-cholesterol, they end up being just too many calories to stuff in your face since it's likely to be 1/2 pound of chicken breast and 20 pounds of lettuce.
So you say I SHOULD add those back in?

As for low fat, low carb, low sodium, et al, again, I agree with you about the non fat...except milk, it just doesn't taste good and usually has more cals and more carbs in them. So I go for low fat or regular, whichever one has the least amount of cals.

Low sodium....that's a personal preference for me. I do not like salt and don't like things tasting too salty. It's a major turn off for me and I've been known to throw away my dinner, (ie: Top Ramen...not that it tasted good anyway), if I feel it tastes too salty. I have never liked salt so I do search for low sodium...not for "health" reasons, just because I really do not like it.

As for counting fats and cholesterol and carbs and all that...I'm just counting cals right now. That's all. Just doing that alone, I'm eating MUCH healthier than I have been. I've had more fruit and veggies, "stuffed in my face" than I have in some time.

Eventually, sure, I'll concentrate on the other stuff...

Right now I'm working on:

New job which takes up 12 hours a day and soon will be over 15 a day.
New sleeping patterns, (because all I ever seem to do now is work, drive, sleep).
Quitting smoking, (NOT easy. AT. ALL.)
Losing Weight

That's about all I can handle at this moment. I do not have the energy to concentrate on anything else.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM

873 posts, read 1,718,914 times
I would spend less time being worried about calories and more time making sure you are eating food with enzymes. Adding certain vitamins to your meals will absolutely help with afternoon fatigue and your overall health. Stay away from as much packaged food as you can and make sure to read EVERYTHING on the label. Marketing today is as sneaky as ever. Just because a product claims it is "All Natural" or "Low Fat" it doesn't matter. You need to get in the habit of reading labels. Steer clear of certain items and some that come to my mind include "fructose Corn Syrup", "aspertame", other products like soy, which are quite harmful. In fact, our bodies and especially our brain need saturated fats. We just want to make sure we are adding the right type of fats to our diets. Pay special attention to the water you drink and buy a water filter that filters out crap like chlorine, flourine, bromine, as well as pesticides. the dangerous chemicals in our water supplies and the shiite that is in packaged food will wreak havoc on your endocrine system and throw the thyroid gland out of whack.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM

30,411 posts, read 23,880,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I would spend less time being worried about calories and more time making sure you are eating food with enzymes. Adding certain vitamins to your meals will absolutely help with afternoon fatigue and your overall health. Stay away from as much packaged food as you can and make sure to read EVERYTHING on the label. Marketing today is as sneaky as ever. Just because a product claims it is "All Natural" or "Low Fat" it doesn't matter. You need to get in the habit of reading labels. Steer clear of certain items and some that come to my mind include "fructose Corn Syrup", "aspertame", other products like soy, which are quite harmful. In fact, our bodies and especially our brain need saturated fats. We just want to make sure we are adding the right type of fats to our diets. Pay special attention to the water you drink and buy a water filter that filters out crap like chlorine, flourine, bromine, as well as pesticides. the dangerous chemicals in our water supplies and the shiite that is in packaged food will wreak havoc on your endocrine system and throw the thyroid gland out of whack.
WHAT?! Soy is harmful?!

See, this is why we, as a nation, are so unhealthy. One week something is good, next thing you know, it's harmful. I thought soy was GOOD for you! Damnit, that's why I bought the fricken soy drinks. GARRR!

I used to have a water filter...I should get one of those again...good idea.

And vitamins...yah, I probably don't get enough of those. I guess I could get some Centrum. Or is that no longer good for us, either?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,684,075 times
I think xanthum gum would work in soups to thicken it.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,588,844 times
Quote:
WHAT?! Soy is harmful?!

See, this is why we, as a nation, are so unhealthy. One week something is good, next thing you know, it's harmful. I thought soy was GOOD for you! Damnit, that's why I bought the fricken soy drinks. GARRR!

I used to have a water filter...I should get one of those again...good idea.

And vitamins...yah, I probably don't get enough of those. I guess I could get some Centrum. Or is that no longer good for us, either?

You know, we're all gonna die of something.....my plan is just to be able to fit in the box!! I have been following your thread, and I am just gonna say that I am proud of you for all of your hard work and effort. Rome was not built in a day - new patterns and habits take time to evolve. You are taking on 3 of the most stressful things in a person's life at the same time. Been there - new job, no smokes, extreme food changes and uncertainty on what to do. You are human, you will make mistakes - it is inevitable. Once you get hooked up with your new insurance at work - find yourself a good doctor and make an appointment. Get over your fear of doctors and medications (seriously). Talk to them about your nutrition needs and let them help you on your journey. It is not a bad thing to ask for help, it is a bad thing to accept help from people who do not know you and can easily take advantage of your situation and steer you in the wrong direction and cause unnecessary frustration. That's where someone who knows what the heck they are doing can steer you in the right direction. I wish you luck - and I believe in you.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,769,706 times
Quote:
Eventually, sure, I'll concentrate on the other stuff...

Right now I'm working on:

New job which takes up 12 hours a day and soon will be over 15 a day.
New sleeping patterns, (because all I ever seem to do now is work, drive, sleep).
Quitting smoking, (NOT easy. AT. ALL.)
Losing Weight

That's about all I can handle at this moment. I do not have the energy to concentrate on anything else.
Something doesn't add up... Are you just newly hired for a job? Because in other posts you say you can't afford food but you're working a LOT of overtimes which means you should have a lot of money for food. If you really work too much and have no time for exercise I can understand why you turn to dieting [and not exercise] to lose weight.

As for me, I have a lot of time to exercise because I'm unemployed. I love food and I can't stick to a 1200 calorie diet to lose weight. When I worked FT in Houston I maintained my weight by not overeating and doing 1 hr road bike workouts every other day after work. Kept it at 145 lbs.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,427,009 times
So, barring medical conditions or medication that interferes with metabolism, you have to not eat 3500 calories otherwise needed to sustain your weight, in order to lose one pound. 30 pounds = 105,000 foregone calories. If you short yourself by 500 calories a day, that is a pound a week. It is hard to sustain a 1000 calorie/day shortage for more than two or three months, I know from experience.

I'm not into massive food prep either, so here's some of the ways that I keep calories to 1200/day:

breakfast: one egg, sausage crumbles and a little salsa, 200 calories.

lunch: either a modest chef salad at the cafe (probably 450-500 calories) or four slices of roast beef lunch meat and a couple pickle slices. By alternating days, this averages out to about 300-350 calories for lunch.

dinner: 1/4 pound turkey burger, or 100 calories of water-packed tuna with 100 calories of mayo, or chicken, with green beans or broccoli.

evening snack: a couple squares of 90% cocoa chocolate, greek yogurt

Avoid high-carb foods, they really stoke your hunger.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM

37,164 posts, read 42,348,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I am in the same boat. Also broke my ankle and still rehabbing the ankle after 8 weeks laid up during mid Jan thru early March. Even tho it's now Nov, I am still dealing with it. I gained almost 20 lbs now thru lack of exercise. It's pretty frustrating. I do ok with keeping the calories down until about 4:30 pm. But I do eat oatmeal for breakfast many days. A couple of hard boiled eggs with non fat mayo (15 c) a Tblspoon. Mixed with a tsp of sweet relish on a cple of slices of diet bread is a big portion for lunch. Nothing wrong with a piece of fresh fruit for snacks. We have been eating spagetti squash instead of pasta with our spagetti sauce and grnd beef. We eat a lot of chicken, too, and lots of frozen and fresh veggies. I stir fry -- with just a tiny bit of oil - all kinds of veggies and also slice in a garlic clove. But, I must admit the evenings and eating out on the weekends are undermining all the good things. I am pretty frustrated, too! I feel your pain.
That happened to me as well a few years back, it's so frustrating!

I have to loose weight so I'm not one to talk but I did loose a bunch pre broken ankle by doing WW and what really helped me was filling up on all the stuff you are supposed to eat first, all the servings of veggies, fruit and fiber (a cereal I really like) and after that I wasn't so hungry for the other stuff. Also, don't drink your calories. Learn to love water, tea, and black coffee! If you MUST drink calories make it a splended glass of wine or cocktail Not chocolate milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss