Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM

896 posts, read 1,405,134 times

Advertisements

[quote=lubby;27294165]I have lost 55 pounds with 20 more to go. I have been battleing my weight since I am 12. I did make some changes to my lifestyle. I try and control my portion sizes, I try and be more active even if I am not doing any sort of formal exercise, I don't eat sweets that much anymore, I try and stock my pantry and fridge with healthier items and I don't fry much anymore except for chicken cutlets once a month. I am now trying to cut out diet soda, so far 3 days in and I am ok with it. I drink water or seltzer now. If I don't buy diet soda than it's less of a tempatation for me. 3-4 cans a day I was drinking. I keep very little junk food in the house except for pretzels and maybe some lowfat ice cream. I stopped having toast, bagels, or any type of rolls or muffins for breakfast. I now have a yogurt parfait. I take dannon light or yoplait light yogurt, add 1/3 cup of honey bunches of oats with almonds cereal and a sliced banana and that's what I eat every morning for breakfast with my cup of coffee. I eat one portion of dinner and I don't go back for seconds. I do allow myself a treat now and then. I really don't deprive myself of much and I stopped eating fast food 2 years ago.I still eat pizza but I have 2 slices instead of 3 and sometimes I only eat one slice and save the other for the lunch the next day. I cut out chinese food because of the salt. I do eat some take out food but my choices are better. If I get greek food I get a salad with gyro meat on top or I get a pita melt.[/q

I am going to try the yogurt parfait. It sounds good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,517,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
But don't you get tired of thinking about it. Don't you just want to feel free. I have been on a healthy eating plan and diets since I was 5. I am tired of thinking about it all the time, how much I weight, planning every meal. It can get tiring.

Btw, I physical do not feel any better when I at my nornal weight or 20-25lbs overweight. Now with my health problems, I started losing weight and got insomnia. Which now I feel more fatigue and worse now since going on a weight loss plan.
This use to not happen to me before my health issues, but either way it is not like I am going to on a shopping spree or anything. I am just going to be the same person on the inside but 25lbs thinner.
No, I got tired of feeling fat. I got sick of being tired all of the time. I got sick of not being able to go on long hikes with my husband and kids.

I am a big believer in not going on a low fat, low calorie diet. I tried those for years and they exhausted me and I felt like crap. I eat real butter, whole milk, nuts, red meat, bacon, eggs, fish, and tons of fruits and veggies. I don't buy anything low fat. I count calories, exercise daily, and limit sugar and eat almost entirely from scratch. It works, im not tired, I'm not hungry and all of my health numbers are awesome.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM

515 posts, read 1,007,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
No, I got tired of feeling fat. I got sick of being tired all of the time. I got sick of not being able to go on long hikes with my husband and kids.

I am a big believer in not going on a low fat, low calorie diet. I tried those for years and they exhausted me and I felt like crap. I eat real butter, whole milk, nuts, red meat, bacon, eggs, fish, and tons of fruits and veggies. I don't buy anything low fat. I count calories, exercise daily, and limit sugar and eat almost entirely from scratch. It works, im not tired, I'm not hungry and all of my health numbers are awesome.
Brilliant post. Eating real, whole foods and eschewing fake, boxed crap is where it's at

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I like this plan. I guess I get frustrated because I can physical take long walks and fast one, and I can easily dance for an hour and run 2-3 miles a day if wanted so it is hard for me to stay motivated. People make it seem like if you gain a few pounds you physical feel like crap. That does not happen for me easily.

Maybe because I am almost 6ft and always been active.

I did not even notice that I gained the first 10lbs I had to get on the scale. This is why I really have to watch it.

I realize that I was going on a low cal low fat and that is what gave me insomnia. But my foods choices are limited. I can not eat nuts. They make me more hungry and bloated same with fruit. So I am limited to just certain vegetables, meat, eggs and little cheese. This can get boring after a while. I do not eat pork and I am afraid to eat fat on a chicken or whatever meats.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Brilliant post. Eating real, whole foods and eschewing fake, boxed crap is where it's at

I have never ate fake boxed crap, but sometimes I still overindulge in the real food and bread is the only thing that sometimes calms my nervous stomach.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I am assuming you have not been obssessed with food or losing weight since you were a child. If this your first attempt. I can see how you feel like that.

Also I felt a fat about a month ago and that is why I started. However, I have a lost a maybe 3 lbs toned up and do not fill fat anymore. I tone up pretty fast. So feel like why should I lose anymore weight and then I weight myself and then it is a big reminder. I feel like I only lose weight sometimes because of what a scale says. I could lose a few more in my upper body, but overall i do not feel itl. Also, I think I became tired because I think I went too low fat so no more of that stuff.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,517,776 times
No, I was 13 the first time I went to Weight Watchers. I've gained and lost weight a hundred times

I did stay on the thinner side throughout my twenties, probably because we lived in NYC and walked everywhere, but by 30 I was 20lbs or so overweight and by 32 I was 40lbs overweight.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM

218 posts, read 778,092 times
It's difficult. It has to be a day by day process. You have to control it.

I lost 60lbs and kept it off for 4 years. I am hungry all the time - I have a huge appetite that did not leave with the 60lbs. Protein does not do it for me so I deal with it.

I keep all my trigger foods out of the house - I'm a binger and do not control myself when I have the "good/bad stuff" in the house.

I exercise about 5-6 times a week. I hate it but I do it because I want to firm up my body.

I don't eat out as often - I eat out about 2-3 times a year now. I LOVE food but again, if I eat out I will EAT all my calories in one night for a week.

I despise veggies with a passion - however I will continually try and cook them (roast, mash and so on) in different ways to add to my meals.

I write down everything I eat and follow both WW and Loseit (calorie counter).

My inner brat does not allow me to enjoy the "benefits" of losing weight.

So you get my drift - hopefully you will be one of those people that embrace the new eating habits. The only thing is you have to keep at it day to day.

You'll have cheat days and think, well forget that - why even try. But you have to keep going. You'll have days when you weigh in (I weigh in weekly) and put ON weight when you have eaten right and worked out extra hard - then you think again - WHY even bother. But you keep going.

You just have to keep going.

Good luck. If I can do it - ANYone can.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,083,506 times
am starting to be really convinced it all boils down to calories. And if you eat lots of those calories with junk foods, you'll want more b/c they are addictive. If you eat your calories with whole natural foods you won't want tons of it. I just can't seem to get myself to stick to the calories needed to lose the weight I need to lose. I know it's around 1500 or so from previous research...I don't know why I can't just do it. You are not alone Martha.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM

525 posts, read 766,425 times
there is no cure for obesity curently.

this is what genuine science says on the matter thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss