Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,688,146 times

Advertisements

I found that lowering my carb intake and increasing my protein/fat intake while working out helps a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,841,207 times
Calorie consumption is key. Proteins will fill you more than simple carbs so it tends to be a better choice. But it's how many calories your body is burning that makes the difference.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,729,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
As long as I'm losing weight and my clothes are becoming looser, I'm good. I'm not going to get into figuring out the fat to muscle ratio or whatever. I don't have the patience!

I'm now able to fit into some pairs of jeans that I was too heavy for a few weeks ago. This is the external incentive I've been waiting for. Yay!

Sounds like you are on track!

That is the lazy man's way of body fat measurement.
I do/did that one too. LOL
That is what actually made me start tracking body fat eventually as I has to measure for new clothes at the time anyway.

Start stashing cash away for some new clothes if you don't have any on hand.
Sometimes that shrinkage is just like WOOSH after you have been losing lbs slow.
AT least find your belts. LOL

Congrats on the shrinking!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,571,037 times
We weigh in tomorrow for The Biggest Loser contest at work - and tonight I'm eating a cheeseburger and French fries. I just spent over two hours at the dentist having a root canal done. If there were ever a good excuse to eat junk food, this is it!

On the bright side, I walked around the park five days in a row, and the last three days I went around three times.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,616,233 times
The most important thing you need to do is approach this from the correct mindset. Get away from the empty concept of dieting and commit to a lifestyle change. Diets by their very meaning imply a temporary period of self-denial. This is why they invariably fail. You must recondition yourself to approach nutrition, and food, in an entirely different, healthy and sustainable way. Exercise also is key. It too must become an integral part of your life. There will be peaks, valleys and plateaus. Try not to focus on the scale so much as how you look and feel. It is hard, but worth it in the end. I lost 65 lbs in 9 months. It is now 16 months and I have sustained my weight loss.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,191,777 times
Quote:
The most important thing you need to do is approach this from the correct mindset. Get away from the empty concept of dieting and commit to a lifestyle change. Diets by their very meaning imply a temporary period of self-denial. This is why they invariably fail. You must recondition yourself to approach nutrition, and food, in an entirely different, healthy and sustainable way. Exercise also is key. It too must become an integral part of your life.
Excllent, excellent post!!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
blah blah...I know, weight loss is a journey...

I am just sick of going to the gym, killing myself, doing bootcamp, crossfit training, weight lifting, zumba, yoga, denying myself food..yes, i have to DENY myself food I like, and want...because believe me, I could eat pasta every day, with italian bread, Brie cheese, with crusty french bread, a huge sandwich from Jimmy Johns...I love food, I like eating a lot of food. Butter, cheese, bread, pasta, were my "main" go to foods.

I now eat lettuce, tuna, eggs, healthy salads, and skip one meal a day, with a protien shake.

AND...the scale is not moving fast enough. Great, maybe one or two pounds a MONTH...I hate dieting. Maybe it is my age, over 50...and the fat just wants to stay on the body...

This IS self denial...I would much rather NOT be at the gym 6 days a week. I would much rather EAT whatever food I want. And, the weight is not even moving at all...

March, time to really ramp it up...this is driving me crazy though. I wanted to lose 20 pounds before going on our trip to Vegas. I had plans of wearing stunning dresses, and jeans, with no pooch. Well, that is not gonna happen.

I have two kettlebells, I do a kettlebell work out every morning for about 25 minutes...crunches, ab work, squats, lunges, in addition to the Bootcamp 3 days a week, and yoga, Zumba, the other three days. I take one day off a week from the gym.

Okay, rant is over...but this diet is killing me. I want a big bowl of pasta for dinner. With a second helping, and a big loaf of crusty french bread, with butter and parmesan cheese melted on it. I want to just laze around the house tonight too, and do nothing but watch tv.

No, instead, I will go to Zumba, drink 32 ounces of water, do twenty minutes on the Elliiptical, and the wieght circuit. Then, come home, and have a piece of salmon, and a salad. And MAYBE... I will lose a half a pound this month.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
Try having the pasta, but cut back the portion. Add vegetables to the pasta. Find suitable replacements for the foods you want. Trying new vegetable or eating what I'd once overlooked has paid off well for me. I don't feel deprived of anything.

Also the body hits a plateau where losing becomes more difficult, remember being up and moving around you're lapping someone whose sitting on the couch doing nothing.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
no. Portion control is a problem for me. I am better off to have no pasta, because 3/4 of a cup would be worse than none at all. It triggers a huge craving for me. Carb addict, and all that.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
no. Portion control is a problem for me. I am better off to have no pasta, because 3/4 of a cup would be worse than none at all. It triggers a huge craving for me. Carb addict, and all that.
My wife and I are the same way. Saturday was the first burger in months, it was a buffalo burger I didn't put cheese or bacon on it, the fries were fresh cut out of the potato and are some of the best in town. Will see what the results of that are on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss