Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

I've been serious about this for four weeks. I've lost 6.1 pounds. That's an average of 1.5 pounds per week, which isn't bad, but hardly spectacular. Then again, I also had a cold for a week, in which I didn't exercise at all. And even though I've tried to limit my portions, and junk food, etc., there are times when I've slipped a little.

I'm really just venting; I'm going to stick with this. I figure if another four weeks goes by, and I lose another 6-8 pounds and start seeing the difference in the mirror, I'll feel better. I keep trying to tell myself that it took months for me to get to my top weight; it's going to take some time to undo the damage I did.

I'm doing this on my own. No Weight Watchers, no online sites. The only accountability I have is a "The Biggest Loser" contest at work that ends on April 30th; we weigh in every Wednesday.

This is the difficult part of dieting, at least for me - I've been doing this long enough to be bored by drinking water all the time, limiting sugar intake, etc., but the results aren't dramatic enough for me to be motivated that way yet.

I'm sure other people have gone through this; how do you keep your eyes on the goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM

803 posts, read 1,879,692 times
just when u think u are seeing no results, u will wake up one morning and see that your hard work paid off. its easier to quit and down a whole bag of potato chips but the feeling of everything in your closet fitting better far surpasses any feeling a junkfood binge wouldve given u.

now remember, losing weight and dieting shouldnt feel like a life sentence. burn more than what u consume to ensure weight loss but also know that dieting is a lifestyle... u want to eat healthier. can still eat your favorite fattening foods.. just change the portion size. eat half the dish of it. stuff like that.

weigh yourself in the morning, with no clothes on. keep at your diet, try to find other ways to incorporate flavor to your food without the added fat. do u like chicken? check out the spice section in walmart for liquid smoke. it like a marinade and gives your chicken a yummy hickory smoked flavor. try out different snacks. raw almonds, fruit, etc. go to recipe sites and get inspired.

now with beverages, water can get boring, have u tried ice cold water with ice cubes in it, for some reason water like that just gives me so much energy i love it! but u were saying how water is boring, how about drinking something like crystal light. they even sell little packets that u can place in your water bottle and u hve pink lemonade in an insant and they are only 15 calories i think.

try to eat more protein. less carbs. eat your most carby meals earlier in the day. cmon, u can do this!! dont give up!!

for your last question, i am also a dieter because i gained 20 pounds this holiday season. ridiculous and ive been so busy that i feel liek i dont have time to exercise but i know if i dont make time im nevr going to have time. so wha i do is this.. exercise everyday. a brisk walk, a treadmill, an elliptical, when days that i cant get to the gym i have dvds for quick workouts.

i diet but not extreme, i have tea or coffee in teh nmorning with some seasoned salad croutons, ( its liek toasted garlic bread) and then i eat a regular sized lunch, then my dinners are very small.i fill up on ice water/ i have one cheat day a week but i dont go nuts because i got 15 pounds to go before i can have a normal cheat day. but for my cheat days now, i pick one meal with dessert that i want to splurge my calories on and i go for it.

what keeps my eyes on my goal is that i always remember that disgusted and uncomfortable feeling i get when my jeans dont fit or my shirt just makes me feel or look fat. if theres a favorite picture of you when u weighed less or a celebrity whos body makes u sick to your stomach because they have your ideal body, put that picture up on the wall or fridge.

also, always remember that besides vanity purposes for losing weight u are doing something amazing for your health so thats always something to feel good about, giving up on the diet is like giving up on yourself. u cant do that!!

eating like lettce all day and only lettuce will make anyone lose weight quicker but u will get sick . keep hydrated, keep healthy and keep going!!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I lost 6 or 7 pounds during the first 4 weeks with diet/exercise. Then I stalled for a week or so. Now I'm back to losing again - actually it's coming off pretty fast right now. I know that another stall is right around the corner so I'm enjoying the faster weight loss while it lasts...

1.5 pounds a week is good progress. Hang in there!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Good luck to you. Losing weight is never easy and most of us can attest to that. I agree - just hang in there and keep doing what you are doing.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
that way yet.

I'm sure other people have gone through this; how do you keep your eyes on the goal?
1. I don't set a numeric goal. My goal isn't measured in pounds, or even pants sizes. Yes, I would -like- to lose another 20 pounds, and yes, I would -like- to wear a size 8 pants. But neither of these are a goal. It's like saying I would -like- a built-in pool with a cabana and pool boy named Raul. It'd be nice. But I don't need it to feel fulfilled with my life.

2. What IS my goal then? My goal is to continually feel fit. In other words, it's not a goal. It's not something that I "don't" have - and then plan to have, and then achieve, and then stop trying because I've achieved it. It's a continuing process.

I am definitely not goal-oriented, never was. I don't reach for the prize. The prize, for me, is being -able- to reach for it. Journey vs. destination. I'm much more of a journey person.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Thanks, everyone. My whine fest is over, at least for now! (Can you tell that I'm a "glass half empty" kind of person?)

What AnonChick said is very true. I need to stop thinking of this as a goal to be reached, and then I can relax back into my former bad habits (and probably gain the weight right back again!). It's a lifestyle change. The payoff will be in how I feel - and yes, how I look.

I need to focus on the good part of this. I've lost six pounds - yay! And I did it while not depriving myself of food I like; I just manage the portions better, and I don't go crazy when I eat something bad. I'm also exercising more, whether it's walking around the park near my apartment, or dancing at home. This journey is not a sprint; it's a marathon.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Thanks, everyone. My whine fest is over, at least for now! (Can you tell that I'm a "glass half empty" kind of person?)

What AnonChick said is very true. I need to stop thinking of this as a goal to be reached, and then I can relax back into my former bad habits (and probably gain the weight right back again!). It's a lifestyle change. The payoff will be in how I feel - and yes, how I look.

I need to focus on the good part of this. I've lost six pounds - yay! And I did it while not depriving myself of food I like; I just manage the portions better, and I don't go crazy when I eat something bad. I'm also exercising more, whether it's walking around the park near my apartment, or dancing at home. This journey is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
Neither sprint nor marathon - it's an adventure. You can come up with different ways of walking - walk sideways! Walk backward! SKIP around the apartment instead of walking! Do it with a jumprope, do it holding dumbbells or filled waterbottles! Experiment with healthy foods. Today, make your salad with walnuts. Tomorrow, try the same salad with almond slivers. One day, do the chicken with lemon and sherry, the next day try it with chunked up in tomato sauce with chili powder and jalapeno peppers.

Make the entire process a culinary and movement adventure, with the goal to feel great every single day. If you fail today to feel great - then you know tomorrow, you will have the same opportunity. If you feel great tomorrow, then your new goal will be to feel great the next day!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Just keep plugging on and try not to get discouraged. Weigh yourself once a week and celebrate every loss. 1.5 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. Its a solid number. As long as the scale is not going up you are a success. Its a journey with highs and lows. One you reach your goal, mine was fitting into a certain pair of jeans, you will forget how long it took.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 AM

34 posts, read 77,336 times
As I'm not familiar with that specific diet there's not much I can add, except that diets based on low carbs are often the best way to go. I personally had the best lasting results with these.

The most effective weight loss tool you have beside diet. The simple exercise on treadmill is to start steady and warm up. Then vary your intensity on said exercise up and down. Go at 90% capacity for a minute then drop to 70% then to 85% then rest at 50% and so one. Twenty minutes of that is far more effective than 45min on the one intensity level.

Good Luck !!
Henry

Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 AM

29 posts, read 69,575 times
1.5 pounds a week turns into 78 in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss