Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM

840 posts, read 1,146,736 times

Advertisements

I've been on a low carb/glycemic diet for about half a year now. I still eat chocolate (as dark as I can find) about every day. However, I find a lot of things (sweetened tea, cakes, etc) too sweet now. Do you get that feeling like you can feel your glucose going up a few seconds after consuming the overly sweet tidbit and feel a little discomfort or is it all in my head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
I've been staying away from sweets, even dark chocolate and what I've noticed is that fruits, like berries, which might have tasted a bit on the bitter side before now taste perfectly sweet to me. Really delicious.

I had some white zinfandel wine a couple of weekends ago and it tasted super sugary sweet to me. Too sweet really.

As far as blood sugar goes, I've been exercising, strength training, watching my diet, losing some weight...which I find makes me less carb sensitive.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 AM

34 posts, read 77,272 times
The tolerance level for sweetness for any diet plans should be as much as possible. However if you are craving for desserts then a dark chocolate bite can be adjustable. Just make sure don’t take full chocolate. And also fruits can also be good options for sweetness cravings.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
I have noticed a general pattern with age. Things that used to be acceptably sweet before, are now way too sweet. I end up rejecting many treats now because they feel too sweet. And cut down on the amount of sweetener I add to things, that I liked "sweet."

For example, 5-10 years ago, I'd add 2-3 sugars to a latte. Or 1-2 sugars to a smaller cappuccino. Now I don't. (Occasionally, some caps might get 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar).

Same with oatmeal. I have always found the packaged sweetened ones too sweet, so I would do half plain, half flavoried. But now I just make all plain, with my own ingredients, and keep decreasing the amount of sweeteners I add. Down from 1-2 teaspoons to about 1/2 a teaspoon.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
Oh yeah! After I did low carb even some breads were disgustingly sweet. Its been years since I tried that way of eating and sometimes go lower carb these days if I feel its needed. I still can't eat things sweet or salty like I used to. It just tastes like a big pile of salt or sugar. Blek.

Sugar and table salt can dull the tastebuds when over used. Great design to make the consumer eat more as both trigger hunger and don't give a natural full flavor to give the brain a satiety response.

I still like milk chocolate but I can't eat a lot of it. I don't want it after a certain point and it starts to just taste like a giant ball of sugar. Chocolate milk is ok too but one serving is all I want.

If I drink a soda...I get hyper. I have to clean or organize something or I go nuts. LOL

When I was low carbing for awhile and then weaning up my carbs: At times it made me feel sick if I had any of the really sugary refined carbs. That sick feeling kinda turned me off for good on a lot of those types of products. Its like how some people can stand the thought of drinking an alcoholic drink that made them sick once. I have only thrown up once in my life from drinking when I was younger. Tropico...I cant even stand looking at the bottle let alone smelling it or tasting it. LOL

Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
I've been on a low carb/glycemic diet for about half a year now. I still eat chocolate (as dark as I can find) about every day. However, I find a lot of things (sweetened tea, cakes, etc) too sweet now. Do you get that feeling like you can feel your glucose going up a few seconds after consuming the overly sweet tidbit and feel a little discomfort or is it all in my head?
Nope, this is completely normal. Your broken palate is being fixed.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
This has totally happened to me. I am a very occasional drinker (last drink was New Year's Eve) but used to go for the sweetest wine, and now the absolutely very dry wines taste awesome to me. Same goes for the chocolate.

If I would accidentally take a swig of some regular soda, I swear it causes pain in my teeth and the taste is beyond sickening!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,237 times
I'm the guy who could sit down in front of a movie and eat a half gallon of ice cream or a box of cookies in one setting, not devour just methodical repetition I did the same with beer, bread, chips...no kidding carb overload, for years, never gained much weight and have always been active. At age 60 it caught up with me and essentially rigor mortis set in... like having a cement filled body, could barely walk, shorten the story: I eat no bread, no pasta, no grains, no rice, no sugar of any kind, some fresh fruit, no beer, moslty fat and protien, bacon, eggs, pork, fish, chicken, turkey, cheese, olives, cream, and good fresh green vegitables of all kinds... I'm going on and on again, a super charged Atkins diet, I've lost 20 lbs, good muscle tone and energy, at 63 doing well, no craving for sugar. This is the ketogenic diet, cancer thrives on glucose, we get more sustained energy from fat calories than carb. cals. Read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Davis, read the "Omnivors Delima" sp? basically sugar is poison, what we really need is more fat. I know that just does not sound right; without the high sugar intake with bread we chemically process fat differently. I'm no expert and I'm sure its different with everyone but I know alota folks getting off bread and loosing weight and feeling better. best of luck to all, its a tough row to hoe this American Diet: over weight, diabetes and heart disease, I totally repect everyone's choices, its not a blanket fix, it just works for alot of us.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,237 times
btw 85% cocoa dark chocolate and red wine of occasional doesn't upset the apple cart at all!!! Wheat Belly on line has wheatless receipts. for pizza dough etc. there is life after bread... lots of it

Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I don't eat sugar...other than fruit and I don't crave it anymore.......I look at the dark chocolate bars at Trader Joe's but they are just too caloric....those of you that eat chocolate on a regular basis do you eat one square of dark chocolate or the whole thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss