Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,109 times

Advertisements

This is probably more of a rant rather than an actual question but I'm sure a lot of people are thinking what I'm thinking. I can understand if the weight is unhealthy or dangerous (whether too fat or thin) but outside of that I think many people have a weird perception of normal weight given that people vary in their shapes and builds.

I am currently 215 lbs (or about 98kg) at 5 feet 11.5 inches (about 179 cm). I realistically need to be between 130 - 160lbs (59 - 73KG). I run very small to begin with; even at 180 lbs I don't feel as nimble as I was when I was below 160. I have never had a muscular build and never will despite being more agile; you could say I'm built more like a Ferrari instead of a dually! Nevertheless I've had family and others say that I'm too thin and this other bull**** when I know they're full of it. I guess if you are under 250 lbs you're anorexic out here. Given that some of the people saying this to me are a head shorter and about my same weight or heavier (which makes them look like a fat Keebler elf) I wonder if it's either jealousy or stupidity or maybe some people just like to dig around in other's personal life. I just find it so irritating when I know they're just playing games with me, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
People who are dealing with their own eating issues don't like seeing others with the same issues succeed.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I just find it so irritating when I know they're just playing games with me, don't you?
Sounds like they are trying to dig into you and weight is one sword. Do they also make comments about your car, your job, your career, your education, your musical tastes, your choice of spouse, they way you raise your kids, etc?

Here's a height weight matrix gallery:

Photographic Height/Weight Chart - 5'11" 210 pounds

Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Are they trying to compliment a recent loss in a backwards way?

That is not too thin. Tell them to google it.

If you/they know the facts there is no game.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Are they trying to compliment a recent loss in a backwards way?

That is not too thin. Tell them to google it.

If you/they know the facts there is no game.

I agree..that's too thin at all. I looked at the photos posted above and thought they could stand to lose a few lbs..

Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I agree..that's too thin at all. I looked at the photos posted above and thought they could stand to lose a few lbs..
I saw those photos too and not too thin but I wish my hubby could get down to 210. Anyway people only make comments to me now because I have lost 50 lbs but when I was heavier no one said anything to me. They say things like "hey you look great or that outfit looks good on you". My mom harps on me about loosing weight because my dad was obese most of his life and so is her sister and niece and she does not want me to end up like that. I do tell her to mind her own business in a nice way and to just be supportive and she's been good about it. She just tells me to stick to my WW. No one is perfect as my leader told us today and we do fall off the wagon now and then but we must get back on. My goal is to loose 75 lbs and I am on my way. People say the wrong things but for the right reasons plus they don't understand you or they are jealous of you.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I saw those photos too and not too thin but I wish my hubby could get down to 210. Anyway people only make comments to me now because I have lost 50 lbs but when I was heavier no one said anything to me. They say things like "hey you look great or that outfit looks good on you". My mom harps on me about loosing weight because my dad was obese most of his life and so is her sister and niece and she does not want me to end up like that. I do tell her to mind her own business in a nice way and to just be supportive and she's been good about it. She just tells me to stick to my WW. No one is perfect as my leader told us today and we do fall off the wagon now and then but we must get back on. My goal is to loose 75 lbs and I am on my way. People say the wrong things but for the right reasons plus they don't understand you or they are jealous of you.

I've read your story before, and you're doing great!! Dont' let anyone sidetrack you and your goal.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I've read your story before, and you're doing great!! Dont' let anyone sidetrack you and your goal.
Thanks, now if I could get my husband on the same track. He did loose 85 lbs but put back 40. It's not easy because we all love to eat.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,158 times
Picking on fat people is the last socially accepted put down there is. You can't make jewish, gay, black, et al jokes. But calling someone a fat a$$, making fat jokes in public, etc is still perfectly social acceptable. Therefore, people have merely transferred their ill intentions to a group of people, which causes them no social or other backlash.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 AM

123 posts, read 245,852 times
People don't know what thin is anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss