Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,081,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Ah I misunderstood the details, that's pretty interesting info, thanks! Regardless though, it's in direct contradiction to Charles' constant insistence that diets don't work, and surgery does, and once you have surgery you can eat whatever you want and never get fat. Surgery doesn't work that way. It just doesn't.
I have had several friends over the years that have had the by-pass surgery and within 5 or 6 years were just as fat as before the surgery - except they had more gastric health issues than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:07 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,092,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I have had several friends over the years that have had the by-pass surgery and within 5 or 6 years were just as fat as before the surgery - except they had more gastric health issues than ever before.

me too...the ones that lost the weight and kept it off were the ones who got it 'in their head'. the ones that didn't are the ones who learned how to over eat with a stomach the size of their thumb...it can be done.. they are living proof.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,081,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
me too...the ones that lost the weight and kept it off were the ones who got it 'in their head'. the ones that didn't are the ones who learned how to over eat with a stomach the size of their thumb...it can be done.. they are living proof.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,231,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It's not just over eating that's causing obesity it's also our industrialized food production. We don't eat 'real' food anymore, it's all chemically-enhanced, overly-processed, nutritionally-void frankenfood.

Salt, Sugar, Fat: How The Food Giants Hooked Us
I just had a big debate about this on my Facebook.

All of these headlines lately about the "science" of "junk food addiction" based on that book are sheer and utter alarmist sensationalism meant to sell papers.

There is not one single large-scale study in humans that indicates any kind of chemical dependency on junk food. There are studies that say it's bad for you, sure. I can cite them in my sleep. But addiction like people get addicted to nicotine? No. No scientific evidence at all. Maybe one day there will be, but right now, there aren't. The only study even remotely related to "food addiction" is a study about dopamine and fatty food--in rats. Less than 50 rats, to boot.

Junk food has been around far longer than the obesity epidemic. Growing up in the 70s, we always had soda in the house, and my mother kept a candy drawer and a shelf full of Hostess treats like Twinkies, yet none of my sisters or I got fat. Why? Because we learned that those things have their place as treats, not daily sustenance. We had to ask to have candy, cookies, or cake, and we were not allowed to drink soda at all until we were in junior high. If we wanted something other than milk with our meals, we could have water, fruit juice (not fruit drink), or iced tea.

Do people develop disordered eating for psychological reasons? Sure. Binge Eating Disorder is very real.

But to pin being overweight on the junk food industry is ludicrous. No one is forcing people into the junk-food aisle at gunpoint. If you know you have no will power for certain foods and will go overboard eating them, don't keep them in the house. If you are concerned with what's in junk food, don't buy it, and don't eat it. Shop the perimeter of the grocery, and eat foods that are as close to their natural, unprocessed state as possible, and you won't have to worry about any "junk food addictions."

People gain weight because they eat more calories than their bodies need. Some conditions lower your caloric needs, including untreated thyroid disease, or in women, menopause. But that doesn't do away with the main equation of calories in/energy out. If you don't lower your intake or increase your activity to counter something like menopause, or a new job flying a desk, or simple aging, you will gain weight. It's a cold cruel fact that very few people at 50, 40, even 30, can eat like they did when they were 20 and not gain weight.

Likewise, modern conveniences aren't helping. People these days are too dang lazy to use a manual can opener, and they'd rather take an elevator than walk up two flights of ten steps. They sit on their arses day in and day out, they'll drive around the block 6 times in 25 minutes just to get a parking space in front of a restaurant or store rather than park a few blocks away and walk, and when it comes to restaurants, they'll do this two, three, four times a week, and wonder why they're overweight.

Really?

Come on. In this day and age, one has to be living under a rock not to understand that weight gain is from too much food and not enough physical activity. That's all there is to it.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
For me, I was skinny up until my 20s. I took a job with bad hours and hours of sitting in front of computer. My diet was crap. In the summer of 2002 I took a health assessment and I was appauled when my weight was what is was. I gave dieting a half hearted try. I finally accepted that I was heavy.

My weight varied by 64 pounds. Last fall I knew I was going to do something about it. The wakeup call came January 2nd when the scale at the doctor's office and the fact that my pants didn't fit. Then and there I resolved to do something about it. I discussed it with my doctor, I discussed my intentions with him and started at it.

three months later, I modified my lifestyle, I changed my diet. Since January I have lost 36 pounds. I feel better and have more energy.

I've been on bariatric calls as a firefighter/EMT, those calls stick with you. I didn't want to get to that point. I feel bad for those who do get to that point. It can be many reasons, depression, apathy, or whatever. Usually the success stories come because of a resolve from within to do something about it.
Exactly. Although I don't think I could eat 33,000 calories in a day--my stomach would revolt on its own--I do think that it's cruel to phrase the OP the way it was phrased. Obviously the woman in the video has some kind of psychological issue.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,194,578 times
Re "Salt, Sugar, Fat"

Quote:
It's not just over eating that's causing obesity it's also our industrialized food production. We don't eat 'real' food anymore, it's all chemically-enhanced, overly-processed, nutritionally-void frankenfood.
I'm reading this book right now. It's quite good.

And it is about developing cravings to sell food. Are they physical? Psychlogical? does it matter? If you want it and gotta have it and want to eat a LOT of it (or don't know when to stop)...well thats the issue, thats why you get fat.

There doesn't seem to be anything sensationalist about it as the author does quite a few interviews with chemists, scientists, marketers, etc. If anyone has read The End of Overeating, by Dr Kessler, this is similar but more in-depth and with more research.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Re "Salt, Sugar, Fat"

I'm reading this book right now. It's quite good.

And it is about developing cravings to sell food. Are they physical? Psychlogical? does it matter? If you want it and gotta have it and want to eat a LOT of it (or don't know when to stop)...well thats the issue, thats why you get fat.

There doesn't seem to be anything sensationalist about it as the author does quite a few interviews with chemists, scientists, marketers, etc. If anyone has read The End of Overeating, by Dr Kessler, this is similar but more in-depth and with more research.

It spawned a lot of headlines and articles about the "science" these companies are allegedly using to get people "addicted" to junk food. They play fast and loose with the term "addiction," which has a very specific meaning to the medical and psychiatric communities. There is no evidence that any food is physically addictive in the true sense of the word: People don't suffer DTs, seizures, or other forms of withdrawal from cutting junk food out of their diet. They don't form physical dependencies on it.

A fellow at MIT can explain what's wrong with claiming science here better than I can. Basically, it's more about the business of junk food, not the science of it. I mean, of course these companies will do what they can to make their products taste better. That's nothing Emeril, Grandma, or I don't do when preparing food. And how can they be rigging their food to be "addictive" when there is no evidence that such an addiction can even exist in humans? The whole premise is really pretty offensive to scientists, physicians, and others who work with people with true addictions, as well as to patients who have true addictions.

A friend of mine argued about all the chemicals, but Lays potato chips are supposed to be the most "addictive," and they only have three ingredients: potatoes, oil, and salt. So why are they somehow more nefarious than french fries or a spud with butter that you can make at home?

And not for nothing, but I think bandying the term "addiction" about will just give people an excuse to blame someone else for their own poor dietary choices. "But I'm addicted! They got me addicted and I'm helpless against it! NOM NOM NOM NOM!"

To eat, or not to eat junk food, that is the question, and it is a question of will power, not addiction.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,463,648 times
Well lack of willpower can be attributed to drug addicts as well. No one is forced to pick up a crack pipe after all.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well lack of willpower can be attributed to drug addicts as well. No one is forced to pick up a crack pipe after all.
I take it you don't know anyone who has fought an addiction?

I have friends who have been through rehab for alcohol (which is a drug, BTW), and a cousin who was addicted to heroin. Glomming on chips and candy is not even in the same solar system.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,092,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I take it you don't know anyone who has fought an addiction?

I have friends who have been through rehab for alcohol (which is a drug, BTW). Glomming on chips and candy is not even in the same solar system.

addiction is addiction no matter what the product is.....the addict can't stop themselves from doing xyz...you fill in the xyz..it's not about levels, intentsity...it's about the product having control over your life. The fight is the same...to take control over your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss