U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,908,492 times

Advertisements

I have been doing very well on my "lifestyle change", I don't see it as a "diet" I am just working towards healthy eating and a healtheir lifestyle...been doing pretty good.

Then...what happened? I don't know.

The last week or two I have just been in a slump. Who cares? This whole healthy lifestyle is a lot of work. I am literally at the gym 15 hours a week. Every day after work, I religiously to to Zumba or Yoga, and lift weights. I have been really doing this for the last six months, hardly missing except for work.

I eat salads, been watching my carbs. I really want large loaves of French bread and butter. Nope.

Anyway, I did not exercise tonight. I just did not want to go. That has happened. A few times the last few weeks. I did not prepare my food, went way off the healthy eating plan the last few days...had a sandwich at Jimmy Johns last night. Quiznos tonight. Why? I knew it was against my healthy eating plan. I just did not care.

Anyone go through this ambivalence about lifestyle changes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 AM

6,563 posts, read 16,225,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yes - me!

I forced myself to walk around the park four times this evening, but it was more an exercise in grim determination than the opportunity for healthier living that I've been embracing until now!

I ate at restaurants three nights in a row last weekend, and last night I had McDonald's.

I'm positive that I gained weight this week, which isn't good - not only for my plans to become thinner, but because The Biggest Loser contest ends on April 3rd, a week from tomorrow! I'm in second place. I could probably do it if I just motivated myself enough.

I'm at a point where I'm having trouble recognizing my original reasons for doing this. I've lost nine pounds (or I did up until last Wednesday!), which is enough for me to fit into my size 6 jeans. This should be motivation enough. Unfortunately, it's not.

I miss sugar. I miss chocolate. I miss eating whatever I want without checking portion size, calories, etc. Hopefully, this is just a mini-tantrum - the child in me whining because my middle aged adult body can't eat anything yummy (and bad for me, of course!) without paying the price.

I don't want to be overweight, even if part of me is now saying, "So what? Lots of people are overweight." As if that makes it better! I was very committed to this. Now? Not so much. However, I've read that it can take several months to change your habits for good, so I'm just going to try to stick with what I've been doing, suck up my irritation and impatience, and hope that I can see my way through this temporary setback.

Jasper12, you'll get back on track. I have faith! You've been doing so much more than I have; it's no wonder you're tired. I know you can do this, though! When is your trip to Vegas?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 AM

Three weeks. Perhaps part of the defeat is that as hard as I feel like I have really worked, I am not close to what I thought I would be...but, I am now fitting into clothes I have not worn in three or four years. The muffin top is definitely smaller. Still a muffin top, but not the jumbo size.

I know I am whining.

And really, I must admit that when I started this "healthy living journey", it has been a process of working through ambivalence. I suppose I need to recognize that there has been incremental change...I now no longer see an hour of yoga as an hour of complete misery and torture. I practicality skip thru the class, down dog and plank. The whole thing.

Just slogging along. Focus. Health. I am scared to death of being diabetic. That is what the real

Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,575,927 times
You can all do this!

One important thing for me is to have a plan for when my motivation wanes. If you are able, surround yourself with positive people (My gym is luckily full of them, so as long as I make myself go there, I always leave happy). I even have a "Positive is Powerful" bracelet to remind myself. I, too, am adamant about having a healthy lifestyle to keep the diabetes at bay, but the bottom line is that being fit and healthy does indeed feel wonderful to me, more wonderful than the French bread or the McD's.

It's OK to skip a day or even 'cheat' once in a great while. The key is to get right back on the wagon and focus on your goals. Treat yourself to something for keeping on track

Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 AM

6,563 posts, read 16,225,413 times
Thank you, karen_s! I've been treating myself way too much lately, but I'll keep your advice in mind.

Jasper12, your progress is amazing! Okay, so you're not where you thought you'd be by this point - but to fit into clothes you haven't been able to wear for three or four years is great! Wow! You can take a little diet/exercise break on your trip to Vegas as long as you get back into it when you return (and of course, you can't go completely crazy on your vacation!).

Health reasons are definitely motivating. I haven't had my glucose level checked in quite a while, so I have no idea what it was when I was at my heaviest, but it probably wasn't great.

I'm trying to focus on those nine pounds I've already lost. It felt like rolling a boulder up a hill. To stop trying now means that I'll put that weight back on, and just have to lose it again later. Nooooo! It was too difficult and challenging to get even to this point; why would I want to undo all of my hard work??

A good friend of mine who also happens to be a fantastic cook invited me to dinner tonight. I said "no". Instead, I'm going to walk around the park at least twice, and I'm also going out dancing tonight. Besides, feelings are temporary. If I followed every feeling I had, I would have quit my job several hundred times, messed up several relationships with family and friends, etc.

Everyone can do this even though it's difficult. I'll get past my inner whining!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 AM

158 posts, read 253,585 times
Stick with it. Don't worry about treating yourself every now and then. Think long term. I whine all the time to my wife, but I also love the progress in these 2 short ( looong ) months that I have been working out.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,407,644 times
As others said this is a long term thing, and then there is maintenance after you get to your target weight range.

I know there are times Im going to go "off the wagon" (visiting the family, holidays, etc), but I can plan for this and not get bummed when I see a weight spike. Same for things like the occasional eating out.

Quote:
but to fit into clothes you haven't been able to wear for three or four years is great!
...lol...actually this was a good reinforcement motivation for me to keep the weight off ! I had lost a lot of weight and then stopped into Saks once and noticed I could actually fit those clothes !!!

In fact i went out and got some skinny jeans and a tight black T shirt (which I would never ever been able to fit in) , and i looked hot!...turned some heads....Yeah...I am going to keep this weight off...if you look good..you feel good (sounds vain, but it was neat to be able to do this, to retire the 'fat clothes')

Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM

5,143 posts, read 11,600,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have been doing very well on my "lifestyle change", I don't see it as a "diet" I am just working towards healthy eating and a healtheir lifestyle...been doing pretty good.

Then...what happened? I don't know.

The last week or two I have just been in a slump. Who cares? This whole healthy lifestyle is a lot of work. I am literally at the gym 15 hours a week. Every day after work, I religiously to to Zumba or Yoga, and lift weights. I have been really doing this for the last six months, hardly missing except for work.

I eat salads, been watching my carbs. I really want large loaves of French bread and butter. Nope.

Anyway, I did not exercise tonight. I just did not want to go. That has happened. A few times the last few weeks. I did not prepare my food, went way off the healthy eating plan the last few days...had a sandwich at Jimmy Johns last night. Quiznos tonight. Why? I knew it was against my healthy eating plan. I just did not care.

This is when I would go through a list of everything I do and pick the things I like to do and alter the things I didn't. You can eat those things sometimes. Eating them all the time is the problem.

When I was in low carb land and had a day like that I would at least stick to counting my calories of whatever I ate. I gave myself up to my maintenance calorie level for sedentary activity level. It was effective.

I guess its time to ask yourself what you could change to make your habits fun and liveable.
When you start trying to live healthy, forcing yourself to try things is a very good habit. You never know what you will like until you try it.

If you figure out its not working for you after giving it a good solid six months in a happy way: then try to make it so. Change what you do, or how you think about it.

So why did you eat the junk? Why didn't you feel like going?
Think beyond just the apathy about it. Think about what causes the apathy and why.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM

Big hugs. You guys are so great.

A lot of lifestyle change really comes from internal motivation. And I sincerely believe if you have external problems like job stress, relationship issues, financial issues, it is more difficult to focus on making positive existential goals.

I am lucky to only have one or two external stressors. I wish I was one of those people who deal with problems by exercising more and eating less, instead I eat more and want to lay in my bed with a blanket over my head.

Spring is here. I went for a walk yesterday, it was great. I plan a deep Spring clean for my house in two weeks. April is time for action. I am going to get with the program here... Will let you know the update. Thank you.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM

6,017 posts, read 7,451,474 times
I think this is a common way to feel, the key is not to give in. This too shall pass. However it is important that you are not denying yourself everything you love. That is a recipe for failure. You want a piece of french bread? Have it, just balance it out with your caloric intake.
It is also important to find an exercise that you enjoy. Just grinding it out day after day will lead to burn out. Now is the time to focus on what you love, and perhaps setting up challenges. Like learning to run, or if you run already, shoot for a local 5k. Or try swimming if you have access to a pool. Change it up and keep looking for something you really like. But dont stop!
Weight loss is a journey. There will be wonderful areas, and hard rugged terrain. SOmetimes it will feel like you are on top of the world, and other times you will feel like, 'whats the point?'. Its all normal. Work through it. The goal is the best prize ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss