Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There has not been a *huge* increase in carbohydrate/sugar consumption in relation to fat, people today are consuming more of everything but the intake of sugar (not refined carbohydrate) has increased in relation to fat. The majority of the increase in sugar consumption is due to increased consumption of soda, people aren't consuming soda because they are fat phobic. The gross consumption of fat has increased...
You can argue what constitutes a "huge" increase, but percentage of calories from fat has significantly decreased while percentage of calories from carbohydrates has increased over the last ~4 decades.

This is the chart for men but the one for women is practically identical:

The consumption of sugary foods has most definitely increased as a result of fat phobia and saturated fat phobia. Notice all the granola bars, cereals, flavored yogurts, energy bars, etc. that are sold in the grocery store that are full of sugar, and that are purported to be "heart-healthy" because they're low in fat? A large portion of the public still thinks these are diet foods.

Remember Snackwells cookies from the 90s? Reduced fat, increased sugar. Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops, and Cocoa Crispies had the American Heart Association heart-healthy check mark on them for being low in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol- despite being high glycemic load metabolic weapon of mass destruction.

Eggs are considered a heart attack on a plate, but I've never heard anyone refer to a coca cola as a heart attack in a bottle, though they should.

Quote:
The USDA doesn't recommend a low fat diet.
Check out the Supertracker thing on the MyPlate website.

They recommend 6 tsp. fats/oils per day on a 2,000-calorie diet, which is 27 grams, or 243 calories. They recommend 5.5 ounces of "protein foods," e.g. chicken, seafood, nuts, etc. Chicken has ~1g fat per ounce, so add 5.5 grams, or 50 calories. For dairy, they recommend 3 servings of skim milk or 1% milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, etc. If you use 1% milk that's 6 grams of fat, or 54 calories. 243 + 50 + 54= 347 calories. 347 calories/2,000 calories is 17% of calories from fat. If you consume say, an ounce of nuts instead of an ounce of chicken, the number might go a little higher. Or if you substitute avocados for some other fruit or vegetable. But when you're expected to consume small amounts of lean protein, small amounts of oils/fats, and small amounts of low-fat or fat-free dairy, that's most definitely a low-fat diet. A low-fat diet is generally considered one with <30% of calories from fat.

But I was mostly talking about in the nutrition dark ages of the 80s and 90s during the height of the fat phobia, when they still used their ridiculous old school food pyramid (which most definitely is a low-fat diet):

Check out the picture of saltine crackers (!) on the bottom left. Pasta, noodles, bread, cereal, and saltine crackers, the foundation of a healthy diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The biggest problem with the Atkins diet is its huge failure rate. What I mean by that is very few people will stick to this plan for very long. Experts have been saying for a long time that this way of eating can be beneficial and people will lose weight on it. They also say that most people do not stick with the plan.
Lucky - read the quote from the New York Times article that I posted before your last post - the biggest problem with the Atkins diet is that it can lead to premature death - and you are right - high failure rate in that people generally regain the weight..

Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I don't have diabetes nor have I ever had anything but perfect blood pressure. I have Celiac disease and therefore cannot eat wheat. So there goes your blanket statement....that is the problem with your blanket statement -it does not take into account that each of us are individuals with bodies that are different and process foods differently. The subject was fat not carbs - you mistakenly brought carbs into the conversation and chose to make generalities that aren't true for everyone. By eliminating animal products from our diet, we are thin and healthy...we have always exercised and never been obese although when we ate eggs and meat every day we had cholesterol issues and were overweight at times. So back off the blanket statements - you don't know me or anyone else on these forums.
So you don't eat simple carbs and you don't eat animal protein. Basically you are a vegetarian.
Talk about restrictive!
That's all fine, and I understand the limitations forced upon you with celiacs, but now we're talking about something completely different.

Regardless, as i've I said earlier... no cholesterol issues here and most people that change from the typical western diet to something along the lines of paleo/low carb reverse all issues with cholesterol, bp, weight gain, diabetes, etc. I can point you to plenty of examples. So take your own advice and back off with the blanket statements and lies about fat being bad for you. It's ridiculous.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,549 times
Quote:
This is an article from the New York Times about the optimal diet - you should read it. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/op...iet.html?_r=2&

Here is what it says about the Atkins-type Diets:

But never underestimate the power of telling people what they want to hear — like cheeseburgers and bacon are good for you. People are drawn to Atkins-type diets in part because, as the study showed, they produce a higher metabolic rate. But a low-carb diet increases metabolic rate because it’s stressful to your body. Just because something increases your metabolic rate doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Amphetamines will also increase your metabolism and burn calories faster, which is why they are used to help people lose weight, at least temporarily. But they stress your body and may mortgage your health in the progress.
Patients on an Atkins diet in this study showed more than double the level of CRP (C-reactive protein), which is a measure of chronic inflammation and also significantly higher levels of cortisol, a key stress hormone. Both of these increase the risk of heart disease and other chronic diseases. A major research article published recently in the British Medical Journal studied 43,396 Swedish women over 16 years. It concluded that “low carbohydrate-high protein diets ... are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular diseases.†An important article in The New England Journal of Medicine examined data from a study showing that high-protein, low-carb diets promote coronary artery disease even if they don’t increase traditional cardiac risk factors like blood pressure or cholesterol levels. A diet low in fat and high in unrefined carbohydrates caused the least amount of coronary artery blockages, whereas an Atkins-type diet caused the most. Outcomes from more than 37,000 men from the Harvard-sponsored Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and more than 83,000 women from the Nurses’ Health Study who were followed for many years showed that consumption of both processed and unprocessed red meat, a mainstay of an Atkins diet, is associated with an increased risk of premature death as well as greater incidence of cardiovascular disease, cancer and Type 2 diabetes.
I'm not a fan of the Atkin's diet, but I just looked at that Swedish study and the methodology is really bad, as are the vastly-overreaching conclusions the authors drew. Read the comments from other researchers and physicians on that entry, they go into great detail about the massive issues with that study.

Also, no one has to eat red meat on the Atkin's diet. They could eat salmon, chicken, or other things instead.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I'm not a fan of the Atkin's diet, but I just looked at that Swedish study and the methodology is really bad, as are the vastly-overreaching conclusions the authors drew. Read the comments from other researchers and physicians on that entry, they go into great detail about the massive issues with that study.

Also, no one has to eat red meat on the Atkin's diet. They could eat salmon, chicken, or other things instead.
Lots of other studies quoted.....the methodology for clinical studies is often very long and complex....yet you were able to find the study and read through all those volumes within a very short time and draw a negative conclusion.....amazing! And so quickly after I posted too. You provide no links about the " massive issues". As I said there are several other studies quoted so I am not understanding your motivation to so roundly dismissing the article or the various studies.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
I was responding to D2mini who said " i eat at least 3 whole farm fresh eggs per day, along with lots of protein from grass fed source along with my veggies."

This person eats 3 eggs and lots of meat every day. High fat deits are unhealthy in the long term and I stand by that statement.
OK, I disagree with that statement. That blanket statement.

I also typically eat three eggs in the morning and a large portion of meat in the evening (no meat at lunch). I think if it were dangerous, I would be seeing some negative indicators. But it's actually the opposite. More energy, smaller waist size, better mood, etc.

I don't eat a cheeseburger every meal, that wouldn't make me feel good. There's definitely such a thing as eating meat too often. But I'm never going to write off meat as a "disease-promoting food" no matter how many peer-reviewed studies I see.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
OK, I disagree with that statement. That blanket statement.

I also typically eat three eggs in the morning and a large portion of meat in the evening (no meat at lunch). I think if it were dangerous, I would be seeing some negative indicators. But it's actually the opposite. More energy, smaller waist size, better mood, etc.

I don't eat a cheeseburger every meal, that wouldn't make me feel good. There's definitely such a thing as eating meat too often. But I'm never going to write off meat as a "disease-promoting food" no matter how many peer-reviewed studies I see.
Hey keep those blinders on - no problem to me at all. You will find this out eventially that you cannot eat all those eggs and meat without it affecting your health......Atkins type diets are unhealthy whether you choose to believe it or not....ignorance is bliss I guess.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-30-2013 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Quote:
Hey keep those blinders on - no problem to me at all. You will find this out eventially that you cannot eat all those eggs and meat without it affecting your health......Atkins type diets are unhealthy whether you choose to believe it or not....ignorance is bliss I guess.
Regular Dr visits, extended lipid panels, obvious positive changes in physical and mental states, reversal of diseases... not what I would call ignorance nor having blinders on. You really need to stop reading old science and flawed studies. You also should do some research on the differences between grass fed protein products vs they regular supermarket stuff. You also keep stating it will raise your cholesterol. Um, yeah? So? Again, you have fears over old science.

Why Cholesterol is Not Bad | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

What your cholesterol number really says - CNN.com

You are much better off paying attention to your LDL particle size/type.
Have you gotten that checked?
Most doctors won't do it without you asking.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
You can argue what constitutes a "huge" increase, but percentage of calories from fat has significantly decreased while percentage of calories from carbohydrates has increased over the last ~4 decades.
Percentage of calories and total intake are too different things, I mentioned the fact that as a percentage of calories carbohydrate consumption has increased and this increase is mostly due to increased intake of sugary drinks (e.g., soda, energy drinks, etc). But even though fat consumption has decreased as a percentage of calories, total fat intake has increased. People aren't consuming less fat! And the shift isn't huge or "significant", fat consumption went from around 38% to around 33%.

The common claim that people are eating more carbohydrates because they are "fat phobic" is clearly mistaken, people are consuming more fat and the shift in percent of calories is mostly due to increased intake of sugary drinks, drinks that have never contained fat. That is, all people have done is added more soda, energy drinks, etc to their greasy diets. People aren't drinking sugary drinks because they are fat phobic, these drinks have never been advertised as some sort of healthy "low fat" food.

Quote:
Eggs are considered a heart attack on a plate, but I've never heard anyone refer to a coca cola as a heart attack in a bottle, though they should.
Not really, sugar isn't correlated with heart disease in the same sense as high saturated fat/cholesterol foods. I'd say the biggest problem with sugar is when its combined with high fat, especially saturated fat, intakes. The high fat intakes promote insulin resistance and then the flood of sugar causes spikes in blood sugar/insulin levels...and chronically high insulin levels can promote obesity and hence indirectly promote heart disease. But the sugars are just a catalyst, the real underlying cause of the problem is insulin resistance.

Quote:
But when you're expected to consume small amounts of lean protein, small amounts of oils/fats, and small amounts of low-fat or fat-free dairy, that's most definitely a low-fat diet. A low-fat diet is generally considered one with <30% of calories from fat.
Well, I would concern fat intakes of 20~30% moderate, not low. But I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, few people follow dietary recommendations. As you just pointed to, the average fat consumption is above 30%.

I'm not a fan of "My plate" or the food pyramid, but not because they promote moderate fat diets. Instead they promote the consumption of particular agriculture products and then people think these products are some how essential to health. Many people are tend to believe that a balanced diet is one that includes all the "food groups" yet meat, dairy, grains...or even fruits aren't essential (not that I'd recommend it, but a healthy diet without any of these is possible).

Last edited by user_id; 03-30-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
You will find this out eventially that you cannot eat all those eggs and meat without it affecting your health......Atkins type diets are unhealthy whether you choose to believe it or not....ignorance is bliss I guess.
Yes, it usually takes many years for things to catch with you. Beyond some extra pounds, even the standard American diet usually doesn't start to have negative ramifications until you hit your 30's and even there its usually mirror issues that are easy to ignore.

But some people are just not willing to re-consider their position on eggs and meat despite clear health problems, I've tried to get some people suffering diet related health problems to greatly limit their intake of eggs, meats and increase their intake of whole foods and often I just hear myths about carbohydrates. They just aren't willing to rethink things.... From my observation, the whole "carbs are evil" thing is starting to become widespread.... People from all walks of life are thinking in this way. In the mean time the nation keeps getting fatter....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss