Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,676,449 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I want to reduce my body fat so I can get ripped and more muscles showing. Any help would be good here is me.

Current Weight: 175
height 5-10
body fat now: 16%

goal weight: 170 to 175 (or to 177, not sure yet)
goal body fat:7-8%
goal date: sometime in 2013 or early 2014

ideal look: model muscular

Here i what I am doing now:

weight lifting
1. Lift weights on upper body (chest, arms back) about 4 times a week.
2. I run about 3 days a week for 2 miles each time
5 min belly fat DESTROYER.mp4 - YouTube I do this everyday to burn belly fat. for about 4 min for now.

Eating:

1. I eat two whole slice toast each morning with orange juice.
2. I eat Almonds and banna about 11am.
3. I eat some lunch. whatever the wife cook, healthy food. No fried food, no going out for lunch. sometimes pork chops and rice, and veggie. or bake chicken. If no cooked food. I eat two peanut butter sandwich on wheat breads. so total of 4 breads.
5. Dinner, lately I been eating grill chicken breast or grill salmon with corn on the cob or brocclii. Then i drink tea or grapfruit juice or pink lemonade
6. I dont eat no junk food and no eating fried food until my body fat goes down.

Am I doing this right to reduce body fat and build muscle?

can i start doing abs now or wait til body fat comes down?

Thanks for any advice or comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,812,241 times
I'll let others tackle the rest, i just don't have the time... but wow.... worst breakfast ever.
Zero nutrition, empty carbs, tons of sugar.
Eat some eggs, man.
7 Reasons You Should Eat Eggs for Breakfast

Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
breakfast ever.
[/url]
What about oatmeal and grits for breakfast. I cook an egg before leaving home.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,842,071 times
Also you're consuming too much starch in general. You're having 6 slices of bread AND corn, which is primarily starch and sugar - nearly 100% carbs.

Try this instead:
1 slice toast for breakfast, with 1 whole egg mixed with 1 additional eggwhite, scrambled or an omelet, with maybe some chopped shallots and mushrooms and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

Your morning break is fine, don't forget to drink some water throughout the day.

For lunch, reduce the amount of rice, add an equal amount of more veggies (so you have the same quantity of food to consume). If you have to make a sandwich, make the peanutbutter UNsweetened (check ingredients) and replace the jelly with preserves or jam. Make it ONE sandwich, and add a snack baggie of raw veggies like carrots and green and red sweet peppers and celery.

At dinner time, ditch the corn entirely. Replace it with a side salad; maybe some romaine, and green and red-leaf lettuce, with chopped tomato and onion, some sliced mushrooms, a palmful of black olives, a tablespoon of crumbled bleu cheese, with olive oil and vinegar for dressing. Instead of drinking grapefruit juice or lemonaid, have water, and "flavor" it by squeezing a wedge of fresh lemon into the glass. No sugar at all. You can have half a grapefruit for dessert if you're still wanting the grapefruit.

Also, you -cannot- target body parts when trying to reduce fat. Your body decides which part of it to lose the fat from, not your exercise routine. Abdominal exercises will strengthen your abdominals and give you the definition you're looking for (the 6-pack thing). But those exercises will probably not take the fat off of those muscles. The best way to reduce belly fat is to change your eating habits; starch and sugar are the most likely culprits for you.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Eat some eggs, man.
Boiled or fried?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,841,913 times
You cannot spot reduce and abs are made in the kitchen. That said I do not see where you are working your core.
You need to do a variety of core/ab exercises in order to get any definition.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also you're consuming too much starch in general. You're having 6 slices of bread AND corn, which is primarily starch and sugar - nearly 100% carbs.

Try this instead:
1 slice toast for breakfast, with 1 whole egg mixed with 1 additional eggwhite, scrambled or an omelet, with maybe some chopped shallots and mushrooms and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.

Your morning break is fine, don't forget to drink some water throughout the day.

For lunch, reduce the amount of rice, add an equal amount of more veggies (so you have the same quantity of food to consume). If you have to make a sandwich, make the peanutbutter UNsweetened (check ingredients) and replace the jelly with preserves or jam. Make it ONE sandwich, and add a snack baggie of raw veggies like carrots and green and red sweet peppers and celery.

At dinner time, ditch the corn entirely. Replace it with a side salad; maybe some romaine, and green and red-leaf lettuce, with chopped tomato and onion, some sliced mushrooms, a palmful of black olives, a tablespoon of crumbled bleu cheese, with olive oil and vinegar for dressing. Instead of drinking grapefruit juice or lemonaid, have water, and "flavor" it by squeezing a wedge of fresh lemon into the glass. No sugar at all. You can have half a grapefruit for dessert if you're still wanting the grapefruit.

Also, you -cannot- target body parts when trying to reduce fat. Your body decides which part of it to lose the fat from, not your exercise routine. Abdominal exercises will strengthen your abdominals and give you the definition you're looking for (the 6-pack thing). But those exercises will probably not take the fat off of those muscles. The best way to reduce belly fat is to change your eating habits; starch and sugar are the most likely culprits for you.
Thank you so much for responding. I need to work on getting my nutrient correct as well counting my calories.

I have a few questioins:

1. Can I drink orange juice in the morning? It has 26g of sugar and no high fructose syrup. I read in order to reduce body fat i need to reduce sugar intake. I have no problem with no sugar at all.

2. I can eat eggs and toast for breakfast. Can I eat boiled eggs instead of fried?

3. Why no corn? Because of the starch?

4. Right now my weight is 175Lb, and I am not too fat. Should I start performing ab excersises now, or wait til 8% fat comes?

Thanks for advice

Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You cannot spot reduce and abs are made in the kitchen. That said I do not see where you are working your core.
You need to do a variety of core/ab exercises in order to get any definition.
Thank you for the input. Good comment

Can I start doing core/ab exercises now or wait til i reduce some body fat?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,812,241 times
Eat the whole fruit, don't drink it. Way too much sugar and your missing the fiber by not eating it. Unless you puree the whole thing.

Eat whatever kind of eggs you like. I find scrambled to be easiest and I add a touch of half n half and cook them in ghee.

This forum tends to lean towards people that needs help with losing some serious weight. If you are not fat but you want o build muscle, check out some body building forums like johnstonefitness.com

btw, 8% is REALLY low. Isn't that competition level body fat?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,842,071 times
Like d2mini said - eat the fruit, stop drinking juice. One piece of fruit is only around 3 ounces of juice, and no one ever drinks just 3 ounces of juice. If you REALLY want juice, get a piece of fruit, cut it in half, and squeeze it into a juice glass. Pluck out any seeds, and drink. ONE piece of fruit. Or two halves of two different fruits, if you prefer a blend. Do NOT filter or strain the pulp.

A boiled egg is fine, but you won't get as much *food* in a single boiled egg, as you will in a 1-whole + 1-white omelet with veggies and cheese in it. You won't be as full, and you'll get less nutrients. If you want, you could make a little side of veggies, with sauteed mushrooms (in a *tiny* amount of butter) and onions, maybe a palmful of peas in there too, just enough to fill a couple of shotglasses (or half a pudding cup).

8% body fat can be unhealthy if you're relying only on advice from strangers on an internet forum to get there. You should really check with a professional trainer, in real life, away from the computer, at a gym. They can help monitor your workouts and dietary intake to ensure that you're doing it right, rather than haphazardly and ending up in the hospital or otherwise failing miserably to hit your mark.

Also, I said no corn because of the sugar AND starch. Like I already said, cooked corn is nearly all carbs. A single small ear of white corn on the cob has 63 calories. Of that 65 calories, 50 of them are carbs, comprising primarily of starch and sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss