Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times

Advertisements

I think excessive carbs can put weight on, even "healthier" ones like grains, whole grain breads, pasta. I know when I eat more carbs, I can put on a few pounds that week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM

50,359 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I agree. I don't think fats are the culprit either. It is sugar and other simple carbs. I know that carbs do not stick with me, and I could eat them all day and still be hungry. A little fat and protein is a lot more satisfying.
The fattest, palest and doughiest looking people I know are those who eat all day, but eat nothing but junk. I've been on the Atkins diet before, where I ate as much fat and protein as I wanted, and I still lost weight.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I wonder if there is a correlation between the two? And I wonder if the opposite is true, that people who don't crave the creamy texture as much less likely to be overweight? The people I know who like creamy, fatty food textures ALOT are also generally more overwieght.

Why do some people like the creamy texture and flavor so much?

I don't. I like grainier, crunchier textures more, like pears or airheads or triscuits. But why don't I like creamy textures as much as other people?
oh, I am sure there is: I happen to be pleasingly plump (well maybe not pleasingly to everyone) and I do like higher fat foods, like sour cream, blue cheese dressing, cheese period and yes meats, though we eat very little red meat. I also love sauses which doesn't help things and I think God created mayo for me to enjoy when I am not drinking a glass of wine...

Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,757,354 times
I find the creamy texture for some people is like 'faux fat' for them. They slather everything with fat-free non-dairy whipped whatever and non-carb mayo and what have you, and they are still craving real fat as much as ever so they wind up eating everything in sight and still aren't satisfied. A few bites of something with real fat in it is far more satisfying than half a ton of the fake stuff. But people need to learn to pay attention to when they are full, and not eat as if they hadn't seen food in a week.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,868 times
I think it might be the case for some, but mostly it comes down to moderation and portion control. I know skinny people that love fatty foods. I know overweight people that love healthy foods. BUT, the skinny people I know, just about all of them eat in reasonable portions. The overweight people I know tend to be able to put down alot more at times, big meals, like the portions you get at the cheesecake factory. It's almost like their stomach sizes are different. I really think that if you eat less at a serving, your stomach will shrink over time and you'll require less food to feel "filled up". Vice versa with huge portions, you'll become accustomed to that and want that with every meal or you'll still feel hungry. I also think that a high protein/low carb diet is key, along with avoiding sugary drinks and sodas (I finally learned that even diet soda is no good for you, the artifical sweetner is just as bad! I fought that for so long but I have finally given in.)

BUT, I just love food..all kinds of food. I just watch my portions and as long as I do that, I'm good. Even eating half your meal and waiting 5 minutes to let it sink into your brain that you're almost full rather than wolfing down your whole plate in 5 minutes helps.

I'm still waiting for the magical pill invented that lets you eat whatever you want, in any portion size and never gain a single ounce. I know I would go buckwild with that!!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree. I don't think fats are the culprit either. It is sugar and other simple carbs. I know that carbs do not stick with me, and I could eat them all day and still be hungry. A little fat and protein is a lot more satisfying.
The fattest, palest and doughiest looking people I know are those who eat all day, but eat nothing but junk. I've been on the Atkins diet before, where I ate as much fat and protein as I wanted, and I still lost weight.
I really think carbs and sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup) are huge culprits. They don't stick with me either plus too much carbohydrate-heavy food makes me feel sleepy.

A very heavy diabetic friend of mine lost 100 lbs on Atkins and reduced her insulin requirements to near-zero. That was seven or eight years ago and she's kept most of it off, although she eats more "South Beachy" now.

It's also the type of fat. Saturated fat - lots of greasy meat, fries and fast-food type items are terrible on a daily basis. But nuts, olive oil, avocados and such are fine, I think.

Quote:
The overweight people I know tend to be able to put down alot more at times, big meals, like the portions you get at the cheesecake factory. It's almost like their stomach sizes are different.
I've definitely noticed this! At various times in my life I've shared a house with overweight people and without exception they all ate WAY more than I possibly could. And more frequently. Like there's no "OMG I ate so much it hurts and I can't eat any more" switch. I wonder if part of it is perception? I find the feeling of being too full really unpleasant, and I like the feeling of being a bit hungry. But someone who eats a lot, and frequently, will get used to feeling constantly satiated and the feeling of hunger would be unfamiliar.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Thank you for the posts.

Just a word of advice to those who are dieting, thin feels better than good tastes. I have noticed that stopping half way through your meal is a great way of controlling portions. Your never as hungry after you stop eating.

But I have another question, Do you think it is the flavor of fatty foods that people crave more or do you think it's the texture? Also, do all humans crave to this flavor/texture equally?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I'm not overweight and I love me some fatty foods..... bacon anyone?!!

I just don't eat them very often....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not overweight and I love me some fatty foods..... bacon anyone?!!

I just don't eat them very often....
MMMMmmmm. Bacon.
One of nature's perfect foods!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Don't most people like creamy foods when we get right down to it? Couldn't most people get used to eating high fat, sugary foods - say like French pastries or chow down on big portions of high fat meats and cheeses - go out to a really good steak house in town and eat whatever looked good on the menu, stop by our favorite fast-food stop and load up - couldn't many of us learn to love foods that are cooked to perfection but really not all that good for us or even foods that aren't cooked to perfection but have that perfect blend of fat/sugar/calories that taste so good? I could and yet I eat none of those things....but they taste yummy to some and they can become what the body "craves" (really it is what the mind craves).....they can feel so good going down - especially if you don't think about what you are doing to your body.

Some of us choose not to eat that way - we have self-mastery over our appetites, our "addictions" in the food department are sometimes more healthy, or at least more controlled and eaten less often. We could all "crave" and eat way too much of high calorie, high fat, high sugar foods if we allowed ourselves to do that. This has nothing to do with being predisposed to eating creamy, fat, sugary, high caloric food, snacking too much or eating the wrong foods - it has everything to do with learning to make correct choices - personal choices for which we hold ourselves accountable for and own up to - not trying to blame our choices or the consequences of our own choices on some compelling motivation beyond our control.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-06-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss