Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Some studies have shown that grass fed beef IS more nutritionally dense and leaner. I think it was in Forks Over Knives or some documentary.
Grass fed very well may have more nutrients than grain fed, but its still not a nutrient dense food. Meat as a whole isn't very high in nutrients, though there are some exceptions that most people don't eat (e.g., oysters, organ meats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
The ones I listed were from the first page of a Google search for "saturated fats healthy". I do not deny there will be plenty of detrimental studies done, that is a common premise so why link them?
Right...and what you found were articles on hokey websites....that should tell you something. You didn't find articles by well known medical organizations, universities, etc.

The food industry thrives on doubt, the tactic is the same whether its the beef, dairy, cola coca, etc. You fund some junk study that is designed to make something look good, or at the very least not bad, and make sure that study finds its way on some journalist desks.

Quote:
Why use ancestors from just a thousand years ago? This is more akin to hunter-gatherer prior to the last ice age. I am not trying to mimic feudal peasants. I do eat meat often, but not what I would call a lot of it.
Because our most recent ancestors are the most relevant, but also we only know the details for more recent times (last ~10,000 years) because there were no written records before then. We don't know that much about how our ancestors ate 10,000+ years ago, what we do know is that anatomically we aren't well designed (in terms of eating it or obtaining it) for meat and that all our closet ancestors have near vegetarian diets. So if our ancestors did eat a lot of meat, it was only after they could over come the anatomical limitations with fire and advanced tools which would mean it was only possible in the last million years or so. We also know that high fat foods are hard to come by, so they would have represented a small part of our ancestors diet.

One thing I find amusing with the paleo diet folks, which you're obviously referring to, is that they think human societies just one day decided to eat grains vs meats and other foods that could have been just as easily domesticated. What is even more interesting, is that every society that developed into a civilization independently settled on similar types of food. Usually a grain food, but in some cases starchy roots which are nutritionally similar. Why would every society converge on the same primary food source if it was such a poor food source? Doesn't make much sense....does it?

Last edited by user_id; 04-07-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Jeez, do you work for the Grain Institute? This works for me, I am not telling you to do it lol. It is not as if I am eating 5 lbs of meat and a bowl full of coconut oil everyday. Vegetables make up my largest food source, followed by meat (cooked in coconut oil typically), then fruit, then dairy, then starch (potato once a week or so). Why do I need pasta and bread to live a healthy life? As far as I can tell, that and saturated fat levels are our only real contention.

Last edited by sacredgrooves; 04-07-2013 at 05:50 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
I used to work with a woman who was probably 5'2" and weighed something like 110 pounds. She ate like a lumberjack. I was always amazed at how much she could eat.

OTOH, she was a smoker . . .

Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Jeez, do you work for the Grain Institute? This works for me, I am not telling you to do it lol.
You keep saying "this works for me", but what you mean by that is that you've lost some weight on a calorie restricting diet while eating "this way". Someone on the "10 twinkie a day" diet could say the same thing, the greater question is whether "this way" will actual promote long-term health and weight maintenance.

But getting back to the OP, when you look around the world there certainly seems to be a correlation between the consumption of fatty foods and obesity. You don't see the same things with carbohydrates. But I don't think from this you should conclude that fat people crave fatty foods more, instead that people are fat because they are eating more fatty foods for whatever reason.

Quote:
Vegetables make up my largest food source, followed by meat (cooked in coconut oil typically), then fruit, then dairy, then starch (potato once a week or so). Why do I need pasta and bread to live a healthy life? As far as I can tell, that is our only real contention.
Perhaps in terms of volume vegetables are your largest food source, but no means in terms of calories and that is what matters. A single tablespoon of coconut grease has roughly the same number of calories as 4 cups of vegetables. So in terms of calories, animal fat and grease make up your largest food source.....vegetables are very likely last. It would actually be hard to get enough calories if (non-starchy) vegetables were your primary food source, they are just not calorie rich enough.

Regardless, I haven't even mentioned "pasta and bread" so I have no idea why you'd think that is my only "real contention". Perhaps in your experience "whole grain" translates into "pasta and bread", I don't know, but conflating "whole grains" with "pasta and bread" doesn't make much sense. Plus, I've been primarily talking about fat intake, my "real contention" is that diets high in fat promote disease and obesity where as lower fat diets rich in whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruit with limited to no meats, dairy and added fats/sugars promote health and leanness.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You keep saying "this works for me", but what you mean by that is that you've lost some weight on a calorie restricting diet while eating "this way". Someone on the "10 twinkie a day" diet could say the same thing, the greater question is whether "this way" will actual promote long-term health and weight maintenance.

Well, this thread started in the food forum, so it's not even a given that the poster is trying to lose weight.

I don't even understand why your arguing with that poster, they were quite reasonable about what they posted.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
The food industry thrives on doubt, the tactic is the same whether its the beef, dairy, cola coca, etc. You fund some junk study that is designed to make something look good, or at the very least not bad, and make sure that study finds its way on some journalist desks.
Im picking up on the PR/Spin aspect to this...its addressed in Salt/Sugar/Fat and "Pandoras Lunchbox", those two recent books on the processed food industry. They try to push it off on the consumer ("lack of self control"), or try to control the spin (just read about this in realation the beef industry and studies linking beef consumption with cancer).

Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 AM

171 posts, read 530,646 times
Your response is far more polite than mine. My first thought was that this is just stupid. I'm surprised I read to the end of the first page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is one of the more interesting invalid premises I've read on this forum, that's for sure.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, this thread started in the food forum, so it's not even a given that the poster is trying to lose weight.

I don't even understand why your arguing with that poster, they were quite reasonable about what they posted.
Maybe s/he's hungry; all those grains don't leave me very satisfied, anyway.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 AM

34 posts, read 77,324 times
It's only a myth that fattier people like fattier foods. It's true that they do crave for good and delicious foods (even we all crave) which is normal, but they amount of eating is more for them. Some faces the overweight issues without over eating specifically the hereditary obese people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss