Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times

Advertisements

About 2 years ago I started taking an anti-anxiety medication called Celexa, which has been on the market for decades. I take a fairly small dose of about 20 Milligrams. Anyway, prior to starting this medication I was probably considered almost unusually thin for a man of my height and age. I am in my mid-30's and five foot 8". Before taking the meds I weighed around 139-140 pounds. Two years later I weigh 146-147.

Now, I know that sounds like not much. But the thing is that it seems that once any weight comes on.... it is virtually impossible for it to ever come off again. What I mean by this is that I exercise every day. I run 4 miles in the morning, 5 in the evening. I watch what I eat. I don't drink a ton of soda. Regardless, none of that makes a bit of difference. Its also strange in that the clothes I had 5 years ago still fit me fine. I don't look that different either. I feel the same as well. So its a mystery as to where this extra weight came from.

I have heard that certain meds can cause weight gain. This might be whats happening. The meds have made an enormous improvement in my life so I don't want to stop that regimen. But it also concerns me that it seems that while its happening at a very slow rate, I seem to be ever so slowly gaining weight that once on, cannot be lost.

Just wondering what some of you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM

107 posts, read 167,933 times
The first thing I thought of after reading your post was it's obviously a side effect. Have you consulted with your primary physician?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM

I haven't because it isn't that huge of an issue at the time and when I looked at the chart showing height and weight specs for someone my height, age, and weight, I'm still towards the lower end of that chart. But yes- I assume it is in fact a side effect. But its just a mystery to me that despite the exercise and diet, neither have a noticeable effect.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,465 times
a weight gain of 3-4lbs per year in someone who is underweight is difficult to attribute to any one given factor.

citalopram does indeed have an uncommon side effect of weight gain - perhaps the fact that it is making you feel better is contributing to a greater appetite?

in any case, it doesn't seem to be an issue you need to be concerned about, especially as you have no concerns over your appearance. continue to eat healthily, exercise sufficiently, and nature will take its course.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM

107 posts, read 167,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I haven't because it isn't that huge of an issue at the time and when I looked at the chart showing height and weight specs for someone my height, age, and weight, I'm still towards the lower end of that chart. But yes- I assume it is in fact a side effect. But its just a mystery to me that despite the exercise and diet, neither have a noticeable effect.
If you don't feel uncomfortable and you haven't noticed a change in any of your physical actions or how you feel inside; then I wouldn't worry about it. It's possible that you've had a higher metabolism before going on the medication, and the meds have changed the way your metabolism works.

I agree to continue what you're doing as far as eating healthy and exercising goes; and if you start to feel "weird" then consult your doc - they may be able to prescribe something different for you.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I looked it up and weight gain has been reported, but not often. It could be the med and it could be just plain 'ol getting older.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

I thought about the getting older part too. Additionally, and as mentioned above, prior to being on these meds I had some rather serious anxiety issues and it could be that with being more relaxed, I eat a little more.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I used to work at a place that routinely medicated the residents with Paxil, I secretly called it 'pack on'. The women there ballooned up, some put on more than 50 pounds.

If you are worried about this, talk to your doctor.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I used to work at a place that routinely medicated the residents with Paxil, I secretly called it 'pack on'. The women there ballooned up, some put on more than 50 pounds.
Yes, some of the anti anxiety meds I've read can cause pretty bad weight gain. As others have mentioned, Cipero isn't that bad

Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
About 2 years ago I started taking an anti-anxiety medication called Celexa, which has been on the market for decades. I take a fairly small dose of about 20 Milligrams. Anyway, prior to starting this medication I was probably considered almost unusually thin for a man of my height and age. I am in my mid-30's and five foot 8". Before taking the meds I weighed around 139-140 pounds. Two years later I weigh 146-147.

Now, I know that sounds like not much. But the thing is that it seems that once any weight comes on.... it is virtually impossible for it to ever come off again. What I mean by this is that I exercise every day. I run 4 miles in the morning, 5 in the evening. I watch what I eat. I don't drink a ton of soda. Regardless, none of that makes a bit of difference. Its also strange in that the clothes I had 5 years ago still fit me fine. I don't look that different either. I feel the same as well. So its a mystery as to where this extra weight came from.

I have heard that certain meds can cause weight gain. This might be whats happening. The meds have made an enormous improvement in my life so I don't want to stop that regimen. But it also concerns me that it seems that while its happening at a very slow rate, I seem to be ever so slowly gaining weight that once on, cannot be lost.

Just wondering what some of you think.

You weigh the good with the bad. I took Paxil after my father died, and while i was having serious marital issues. The stuff kept me from losing my marbles. The side effect was, of course, weight gain. The question is, is your quality of life better with Celexa? If it is, exercise etc. but there is really nothing you can do about the weight right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss