Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,370,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
With losing weight carbs and calories matter.

Use this as guidance:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

It is free and you can tailor it to your personal stats for your personal needs.
You do not want to rush it off if you want to have muscle. Losing fast takes muscle off most bodies. Especially if you are not using strength training to combat lean tissue loss.
You can go with the meal plan they give you or you can add up everything you already eat and see how bad your intake really is before changing it. It can be interesting and you will see how much change needs to be made when you look at your natural days as is. Good luck.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Exactly! I pretty much find myself having a difficult time on the weekends. So my rule of thumb is, if I can get by with maintaining my weight to gaining no more than a pound after the weekend, it's a win for me. My theory is, I should be able to work off that pound, and maybe at least another one by the end of the week - which puts me at a healthy pace of losing.
I think it's a good strategy. That way you don't go insane and you can sort of indulge or treat yourself in a proper manner. Of course in doing so it is not meant to go crazy, like eat a couple large pepperonis and stop by the buffet and sit there for a few hours, but having some pizza, maybe a cheeseburger once a month, and maybe a piece of cake and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,670,138 times
If you count your calories its not a problem. It is normal to have weight changes within a few pounds due to hydration, hormones, and scale variances. Salt can put you up a few pounds but there is no actual gain or excess calorie intake. Changing your carb level will also change how much water you retain. You do need so many carbs to retain proper hydration but if you have a higher carb day after a lower carb day the scale usually does go up a bit. Its not fat if you calories are right, just water retention due to food intake.

Watching your nutrition and counting you calories is the most flexible way to live. Say if you wanted to have pizza you just have to watch how much you have and make sure it balances out in your day. The spark site helps you do that by having the nutritional content of the food. Pizza days for me are not a problem any day of the week. With cheeseburgers you can have it more than once a month. You just have to watch the portion size and balance it out just like the pizza.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM

5,915 posts, read 6,399,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I think it's a good strategy. That way you don't go insane and you can sort of indulge or treat yourself in a proper manner. Of course in doing so it is not meant to go crazy, like eat a couple large pepperonis and stop by the buffet and sit there for a few hours, but having some pizza, maybe a cheeseburger once a month, and maybe a piece of cake and so forth.
Yeah, that's pretty much my thought process. I married into an Italian family, and there ain't no way I'm passing up pizza or a pasta dish on the occasions we celebrate.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,717,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Exactly! I pretty much find myself having a difficult time on the weekends. So my rule of thumb is, if I can get by with maintaining my weight to gaining no more than a pound after the weekend, it's a win for me. My theory is, I should be able to work off that pound, and maybe at least another one by the end of the week - which puts me at a healthy pace of losing.
I tend to let go on the weekends too but I think what I need to do is have treats but set parameters--otherwise I'm likely to let it all hang out and then I don't lose any weight no matter how good I've been during the week.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,399,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I tend to let go on the weekends too but I think what I need to do is have treats but set parameters--otherwise I'm likely to let it all hang out and then I don't lose any weight no matter how good I've been during the week.
Yeah the key for me is to make sure that I'm at least a pound to two pounds lighter from Friday to Friday. So knowing this, I realize that I have some wiggle room to live on the weekends, but still within reason enough so that I'm not cancelling out all of the hard work I put into my weight loss from the previous week. So far, it's working. I lost five pounds last week, one and a half this week, but as long as I'm staying within the one to two pounds lost each week, that's going to be a huge difference by the end of the summer. It does kind of suck that I decided to start this weight loss now instead of earlier so I could have enjoyed a leaner summer, but I've found it to be almost impossible to loss weight over the holiday season (Thanksgiving through New Years.)

Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,987,982 times
I eat tons of carbs - beans, sweet potatoes occasionally, some grains, fruits, vegetables....but they are whole food carbs not refined processed carbs (I eat no sugar and 2 slices of gluten free bread every few weeks)....I am a firm believer that some can eat a high carb diet and be thin - it just depends upon the type of carbs you are eating.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:12 AM

50,127 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Last year I heard about this new study Study: Cutting Carbs Twice a Week Better than Full-On Diet | TIME.com on the Today show. It says going no carb just a couple of days a week, and eating regularly (note, NOT overeating the other days) is enough to lose weight.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Just wondering as I start to eat low/no carb to lose some of this Winter weight (and some) to back down a bit.

I am a carb junky, like lots of people, and was wondering how many (little) carbs I can get away with eating and still significant loss in weight?

With my coffee the other day I had a donut in the morning and a bite here or there - or had low carb bites that had only some sugar - and I believe I still lost a couple pounds, eating lots of meat and cheeses.

So how much carbs can I get away with eating then?

Go to amazon.com to the kindle store and get a free copy of "Carb Counting and meal planning", it is geared for diabetics but is a good solid nutritional guideline that is easy to read and understand and has very good information and a table that tells you exact amounts of all food groups you need daily per calories desired.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,370,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
But at the end of the day, that's the point, right. Getting to our healthy weight and maintaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Go to amazon.com to the kindle store and get a free copy of "Carb Counting and meal planning", it is geared for diabetics but is a good solid nutritional guideline that is easy to read and understand and has very good information and a table that tells you exact amounts of all food groups you need daily per calories desired.
Will check it out, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss