U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 PM

8 posts, read 17,259 times

Advertisements

I am curious about the 5:2 diet. Apparently you eat healthy, but not restricted 5 days a week and then restrict to only 500 calories two days a week. I only want to lose about 10-15 pounds. Is this diet a safe and effective way to lose weight? Has anyone tried it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 04:49 AM

5,930 posts, read 6,013,772 times
I've been doing it for a little over three months now. It has been very effective for me.

Restrictions: Two days/week @ 500 calories (female) or 600 calories (male)---I'm female but I choose to do 600 because I've pretty tall. You're not supposed to go crazy on your non-restricted days either.

You need to keep in mind that this isn't supposed to be a "quick fix" diet. This is supposed to be a long-term, lifestyle change that would eventually transition you into a 6:1 plan. I would read up on it a little more online before you choose this plan.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,829,648 times
sounds awful. 600 calories total for two days out of the week? i wouldn't make it, i would pass out

fad diets like that are stupid. i eat healthy and semi-restrictive 5 days and combine with 5 days of exercise a week. no crazy paleo, non-gluten, south beach atkins fish oil diet crap either. the other two days are cheat days. been doing this for a year while cutting out soda completely. i still exercise on my cheat days. i've lost 51 pounds. the best way to lose weight is to keep it simple. cut your diet by about 200-400 calories a day. soda is a no-no. add in a light exercise regimen and you should lose the pounds in 2 months

Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
sounds awful. 600 calories total for two days out of the week? i wouldn't make it, i would pass out

fad diets like that are stupid. i eat healthy and semi-restrictive 5 days and combine with 5 days of exercise a week. no crazy paleo, non-gluten, south beach atkins fish oil diet crap either. the other two days are cheat days. been doing this for a year while cutting out soda completely. i still exercise on my cheat days. i've lost 51 pounds. the best way to lose weight is to keep it simple. cut your diet by about 200-400 calories a day. soda is a no-no. add in a light exercise regimen and you should lose the pounds in 2 months

What works for you doesn't work for others and vice versa. It's not supposed to be a "fad diet" as it is supposed to be a lifestyle change. Many people who fast do so for other health reasons---there are plenty of resources out there for intermittent fasters. There are plenty of people who fast for religious reasons and you wouldn't call them stupid would you?

If you are trying to drop a pound per week, you'd need to be at a 3500 calorie deficit. For some people, only restricting 2x/week is easier than restricting everyday. This is the case for me, as being restrictive daily would lead to a binge. I do not pass out. Your body doesn't go into the mythical "starvation" mode. It's not as hard as people make it sound. It's not for everyone but no need to knock it.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:13 PM

19,345 posts, read 14,850,063 times
It's a great way to eat....so simple to restrict your calories...my gosh...you make 2 egg
white omeltes f
(Breakfast and lunch) filled with broccoli, scallions, mushrooms, red peppers, etc, parmesan...
An apple later and some chicken beast at night...so easy.
There you are at 600 calories...Voila!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-27-2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
no sherlock

if it's a lifestyle change, it wouldn't have these rediculous guidelines. i guarantee that there is a low success rate in maintaining a diet like this
Perhaps you should learn to speak to other people without using derogatory language and without using five hundred emoticons. Or is that the only way you know how to engage others? What is so outrageous about limiting your calories twice a week? That is the only guideline. Lifestyle changes can be drastic---I know that's hard to understand but it's true. I will clarify in your language though:

BTW-It's "ridiculous." And you "guarantee" without doing any type of research. There have been people who have been practicing intermittent fasting for years without problem. If you look online, there are large groups of people who do this for various reasons, least of all weight loss, which is why I said it isn't for someone who is looking to "lose a few pounds" very quickly. It's not meant to be a fad.

I will be doing this a year from now. Only I will be fasting one day per week in maintenance mode. 6:1. The horror---how can anyone survive ONE day of fasting at 600 calories? No wonder why people have weight problems---people can't even understand that it's doable.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-28-2013 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,829,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Perhaps you should learn to speak to other people without using derogatory language and without using five hundred emoticons.
; )

Quote:
Or is that the only way you know how to engage others?
slow down sweetheart, i barely know you

Quote:
What is so outrageous about limiting your calories twice a week?
nothing at all. i limit my calories all but two days out of the week. perhaps living on 500 calories for a few days is doable for people who don't work, but not for me

Quote:
That is the only guideline. Lifestyle changes can be drastic---I know that's hard to understand but it's true.
baby steps, my friend. i love how condescending you're trying to be.

Quote:
I will clarify in your language though:
no comprendo

Quote:
BTW-It's "ridiculous." And you "guarantee" without doing any type of research.
i don't need research. any overweight person who tries this diet is going to fail for the same reason that got them into their position in the first place, lack of will power and self-discipline.

Quote:
There have been people who have been practicing intermittent fasting for years without problem.
to each their own. not my cup of tea.

Quote:
If you look online, there are large groups of people who do this for various reasons, least of all weight loss, which is why I said it isn't for someone who is looking to "lose a few pounds" very quickly.
no thanks, i dont care much about why they do it. i dont think about food every second of the day, so i dont feel the need to distract myself with religion or become a self-obsessed martyr.

Quote:
It's not meant to be a fad.
im sure it is for some people

Quote:
I will be doing this a year from now. Only I will be fasting one day per week in maintenance mode. 6:1. The horror---how can anyone survive ONE day of fasting at 600 calories? No wonder why people have weight problems---people can't even understand that it's doable.
you become very sarcastic when you're hungry. perhaps, you could use a snickers...or fasting until you pass out. you would probably prefer the latter. do it for god!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 PM

628 posts, read 580,048 times
In early April, I began this diet because I wanted to lose weight for my niece's wedding that was in early May. Technically, I was ready to lose weight after having 3 children in 6 years and the last children was weaning.

Anyway, it did work. The key is to not eat over the top on the 5 days and adhere to the 500/600 on the other 2 days. Make sure to eat your normal maintenance calories on the 5 days. The 2 fast days have to be nonconsecutive. Also, drink a lot of water. Try not to weigh yourself everyday as it will drive you nuts because of the day to day variation. I weighed myself in the morning after every 2nd fast day.

If you plan the 500/600 days out in terms of meals, it's not as hard as it sounds. It's amazing how much you actually can eat. My diet those days were 2 egg whites with a slice of ham, a salad with ham, sprinkle of cheese and boiled egg whites with a 1.5 tbsp. of dressing, and then chicken and green veggies for dinner.

After one month of doing this, I became a pro at calorie counting using myfitnesspal app and decided to end the diet and just stick with a 1200 cal per day diet with 1 cheat day (Saturday). This worked as well.

So, in April, I weighed about 125 (give or take a lb) and now I weigh 106 (give or take a lb). I guess that 19 lbs in about 6 months.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,494,593 times
Fasting can indeed be a lifestyle. It may not be for everyone. But it's just not correct to say it's not a lifestyle, and can't be maintained.

I have been a serious faster for more than 2 years. Do I 'slip' or ' fall off the wagon' sometimes, and eat on days when I had planned to fast? Sure. But I see that as no different from people who plan to eat only a certain amount at dinner or a party, or on a holiday and don't stick to their plan.

Only water or unsweetened tea:
I have done more than two 7 day fasts, two 10-day fasts, a 12 day fast (10 water/2 juice), one 24 Juice fast (for spiritual purposes). My normal routine is eat three days a week fast for four. Some times it's eat 5 fast 2. Remember I've done this for over 2 years now. And I've lost 80 pounds at my lowest this past summer.

However, when work, vacation, or family obligations throw off my routine I might fall off the wagon and eat on days I'd planned to fast -- or eat every day for a week straight.

Recently, between vacations and my work shift changing, I've eaten everyday for four weeks.
And yes I have gained SOME weight.

I started my most recent fast Friday. Today, Monday was Day Four. It's pretty well known that if you can get past the first couple of days, the hunger really DOES subside. I don't get hungry again until at LEAST day 6 or 7. For me fasting has gotten easier.

Personally, fasting has HELPED me listen to my body A LOT more than I used to. In fact, I never used to pay much attention to my PB, or energy level. Now I do.

So if someone wants to do a intermittent fasting (or I-F as it's called) I say go for it.
Much success to you.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:28 AM

12,971 posts, read 25,294,015 times
The science behind the 5:2 Diet is solid. It actually came out of research into extending life with calorie restriction,

The basic principle is to understand that our body mechanics evolved when our food supply was literally "feast or famine." Our ancestors were hungry a great deal of the time, so they developed the ability to store a lot of energy as fat when food was plentiful, and to draw those reserves down when food was not readily available.

The problem for us today, the real underlying cause of obesity, is that we have food available all the time. We're never really hungry, in the physiological sense, so any excess at all gets packed away in our fat cells.

What the Fast diets do is to keep the body responding as it is programmed to do in times of famine, burning fat to keep the body going. And on the two non-consecutive days a week that you partially fast in the 5:2 verson, the 500 or 600 calories you do eat is low enough to keep that "famine" cycle running in the body, but high enough to keep you from becoming sluggish or light headed.

I was exposed to the concept by BBCs medical commentator (Dr.) Michael Mosley in his PBS special "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer." I got the Fast Diet book from the public library, tried it, and I have found it to be simple, easy, and effective.

Eat, Fast And Live Longer With Michael Mosley | KPBS.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss