Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 10:20 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,440,908 times

Advertisements

I did that this morning. We went to Cracker Barrel and I was trying to decide between a few different things. Two things had much lower calories. I went ahead and ordered the other thing because I haven't been eating foods like this for the most part.

Here is what I got: A blueberry muffin, yogurt, 2 scrambled eggs and turkey bacon.

That doesn't seem like it should have been terrible but the muffin was more calories than my normal breakfast is alone every day. Muffins absolutely seem like they should be healthy but when it comes to the calories they contain that your body is just not going to use for anything...there are too many.

Normally when we go out to eat for breakfast I have been getting a small sized oatmeal, a small fruit dish, and one scrambled egg for the protein.

I am not a huge calorie counter, but I have been using the website sparkpeople for the last week and as far as this mornings breakfast is concerned, I broke my calorie bank for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:00 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,510,868 times
A muffin is nothing but carbs, fat and sugar. None of which are really needed. Much healthier to get oatmeal, fruit and egg. But I think you know this. Some muffins have more than 500 calories and they differ in size so much. Add that it came from a restaurant and we all know it has more sugar and fat than those we would make.

If you have to have them, make them yourself with as many healthy ingredients as possible and freeze them in portion sizes.

Or just decide to have one and treat it as a one time treat and go on with life.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,559,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Muffins absolutely seem like they should be healthy but when it comes to the calories they contain that your body is just not going to use for anything...there are too many.
A muffin is nothing but an individual cake.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,452,763 times
People's perception of the 'healthiness' of certain foods can be odd.

I'll have two strips of bacon and two eggs, and while the bacon is not health food, the muffin eater will look at me with pity for my 250 calories of fat and protein while they munch down on 600 calories of sugar.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:37 PM

515 posts, read 1,006,813 times
It's all about reevaluating your diet, which is great that you're doing. A typical bagel is 300-400 calories before any spreads and muffins are 300-600 depending on what's in it. However, that's several hundred empty calories; neither one of those items contributes anything to your body except tons of sugar/excess carbs, which the standard american diet (SAD) has in spades.

To give you an idea, you'd have to eat 14 cups of broccoli, 50 cups of spinach, 1 pound of chicken breast, 1/2 pound sirloin steak, 3-4 chicken thighs, etc. Or, coming in at about 500 calories calories, you could have chicken breast, 2 cups of spinach and some avocado. All of which will keep you much fuller and actually be beneficial for your body.

The easiest rule to follow when changing your diet is called "Green Face." Everytime you eat a meal, it should have something green (spinach, kale, broccoli) and it should have something that used to have a face (chicken, beef, fish).

Diet

Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,958,574 times
I use sparkpeople too and it's pretty helpful. It also gives you a range of calories for the day, so if one day you find yourself at the top of your calorie range, the next day you could eat toward the lower end of the range and balance it out.

It's good to have a treat now and then, helps keep you from feeling like you can't live with your diet.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,440,908 times
Oh I knew about muffins when I ordered it. I have not been eating any of that kind of food and decided that yes, it was a treat.

I have been eating almost strictly foods from a Mediterranean type diet. I have not been eating gluten. No cakes or anything like that.

I was just posting about how certain foods are perceived. For so many years it seems muffins have been perceived as a "health food" when they really are not.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,247,816 times
Hard to believe anyone would think a muffin is anywhere near healthy, but then again people think cereal is healthy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss