Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times

Advertisements

Very interesting article was posted today about gluten.

I often see lots of foods these days that advertise themselves as "gluten free".

So what exactly is gluten?

5 Gluten Myths You Were Too Embarrassed to Ask About - ABC News

Quote:
Gluten is a word used to describe the proteins found in wheat, rye and barley.
Quote:
Gluten does not make you fat,” said Kirkpatrick, who manages wellness and nutrition services at the Cleveland Clinic. “Calories make you fat regardless of where those calories are coming from, whether they’re coming from brown rice, which is gluten-free or a wheat bagel.”
Quote:
“There’s nothing inherently unhealthy about gluten,” Thompsen said.
Gluten alone doesn’t have many health benefits, but foods that contain gluten – like whole grains – tend to be higher in fiber and have a lot of vitamin B, zinc and iron, she said. As a result, cutting gluten could actually result in nutritional deficiencies.
The main thing to get from the article, is that it is not necessary to avoid foods containing gluten, unless you are allergic to it:

Quote:
It’s true that there are people who can’t eat gluten, but they’re a minority of the population. These people have celiac disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 11:19 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
I have to avoid gluten because I have an intolerance to it. It is a pain in the rear to go gluten free. I can see getting rid of nutrition less carbs and eating healthier, but gluten will not make you unhealthy if you aren't allergic.

It won't make you thinner, younger or healthier to go gluten free if you aren't allergic to it.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:28 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Very interesting article was posted today about gluten.

I often see lots of foods these days that advertise themselves as "gluten free".

So what exactly is gluten?

5 Gluten Myths You Were Too Embarrassed to Ask About - ABC News

The main thing to get from the article, is that it is not necessary to avoid foods containing gluten, unless you are allergic to it:
Bravo. Thanks for posting this. Too many people are ignorant about gluten and buy into the gluten is evil myth.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times
I know there are people who can't eat gluten due to allergies (for them it's not healthy) but I always wondered what started the "gluten is evil" fad. But I guess it's like any other fad (with a lot of marketing thrown in for good measure).

Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Gluten - Is it healthier to eat a gluten-free diet?:
No. Not really. Its a fad diet really. It only really benefits those with celiac disease.

It IS healthier to go paleo though.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:37 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
I am gluten intolerant and avoid wheat, although I don't technically classify as a full blown severe celiac. With that being said, I don't think modern wheat products are "healthy" at all due to the fact that they have a glycemic index value as high as donuts and desserts. Modern wheat also bares no resemblance to strains grown 50 years ago in the US so gluten content in food products sold have rapidly increased. Since consumption of wheat products cause blood sugar spikes due to the high glycemic value, people will often feel tired or lethargic after consuming a meal with a lot of wheat products like breads or pastas. Hunger quickly comes back so that person is also more likely to snack. So, you have a vicious feedback loop with gluten containing food items. Studies have also shown that a number of people on the autism spectrum function better when avoiding gluten as well. The gliadin found in wheat can produce in opioid like effect when consumed by some autistic people according to documented research studies. Do some reading and research the book "Wheat Belly" as well. Even if you are skeptical about the issue itself, the information presented is interesting. I've been completely gluten free for many years now and notice a significant positive difference in overall energy levels, weight, and overall functioning.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
No. Not really. Its a fad diet really. It only really benefits those with celiac disease.

How ironic. Paleo IS a fad diet.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
A lot of people have jumped on the "I'm gluten intolerant" bandwagon. It's a HUGE money-maker for the "natural" and "whole foods" companies and supermarkets, so they promote it and encourage it and exploit it.

Thing is though, it's more likely that wheat is making you feel bloated because...

wait for it...

(drumroll)

YOU'RE EATING TOO MUCH OF IT.

Pizza pasta garlic bread cereal toast and jam - doesn't matter if it's whole wheat, or cracked grain, or biblical grain. If you're eating too much of it, you will feel bloated, and you'll gain weight, and you'll spoil your appetite for OTHER things that are good for you, plus it'll make you feel hungrier, faster, than if you had a piece of chicken, thus making you feel like you need to eat more.

So here's a concept: eat less wheat. Add more veggies and legumes, and sure, even a little more chicken or fish.

Chances are, you've just been suckered into the "gluten is teh evil buy our gluten-free stuff, for twice the price!" marketing scheme. Chances are, when you reduce your wheat intake, even if you don't eliminate it, you'll feel better, have more appetite for other healthy foods, therefore eat more healthy foods, maintain a healthier weight, and all will be right with the world.

MOST people are not gluten intolerant. It's a buzzphrase.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

Should probably read this article since no one mentioned paleo...

5 Signs That Your Diet Is A

Old 05-10-2014, 06:33 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
I don't believe that gluten is inherently bad, but there are people who have a non-celiac gluten intolerance. I am not one of those people, but I cannot eat wheat very often. My entire family is intolerant of wheat and other related grains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss