Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 03:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,255,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noghre111 View Post
Exercising is not easy. But for me, days that I exercise, I authomatically eat less. and i'm just so much more energetic and happier when I exercise.

So for me, exercising wins. and I love food. so I get to eat whatever I like (just smaller portions). Win Win situation
Same here. After a good workout, it's like I took a Prozac

I enjoy going to the gym. I rarely talk to people, but I like the people watching aspect of it, sometimes the music. And I'm lucky to be one of those people who doesn't like to just sit around. I burn a lot of calories doing gardening, cleaning house, doing things with my kids. On a typical work day, I don't sit in front of the TV for more than an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 11:53 PM

32 posts, read 112,080 times
Its also not easy for me to do workout 50 mins everyday, I do it 2-3 days every week and I try to cut my calories and eat healthy.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 AM

284 posts, read 492,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It shouldn't be a choice. You shouldn't be picking one over the other. You should be doing both. A healthy menu for weight loss, maintenance, and good health - and exercise for weight loss, maintenance, and good health.

You can eat healthIER...and exercise SOME, and you'll be in better shape than you are now. You'd also be in better shape than if you ONLY ate well and didn't exercise at all, or if you ONLY exercised and ate like crap.

Eat and exercise for your HEALTH and the weight will fall off naturally.
I agree completely, diet and exercise are complementary. Why choose only one when the two approaches work better togetherÉ

Old 06-03-2014, 01:38 PM

16 posts, read 16,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
if given 2 choices, which is harder to do?

workout 50 mins everyday and go through the pain of working out,

or eating healthy, and not eating what you want to eat (think pizza, burgers, soda, fries, fried chicken, donuts, juicy meats, etc)

there has to be a balance and its so hard for me to choose. i would love to eat what i want to eat but if i do so all of the hard work through exercise is wiped out. if i eat healthy and dont exercise, i feel like im depriving myself, and its so hard for me to hit a gym and get on a treadmill. my solution for the past month has been eating good, and walking, so far i have lost 15 pounds, and the temptation gets pretty bad some days but i still take it over going to a gym.

NEITHER is a solution for obesity. They have been scientifically tested and have FAILED miserably.

Your body has enormously powerful involuntary compensatory mechanisms and defensive biological safeguards it induces to keep you within its PREDETERMINED RANGE. The BRAIN sets the set point and defends it.

NO current method we have RESETS this level lower. That is the problem.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:07 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,641,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSneedman View Post
NEITHER is a solution for obesity. They have been scientifically tested and have FAILED miserably.

Your body has enormously powerful involuntary compensatory mechanisms and defensive biological safeguards it induces to keep you within its PREDETERMINED RANGE. The BRAIN sets the set point and defends it.

NO current method we have RESETS this level lower. That is the problem.
Long term caloric restriction is the only way to lose weight. If you really think doing so is impossible, I suggest you check yourself into the nearest psych ward, because you've gone off the deep end.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,684,987 times
For me it's much easier to restrict my caloric intake. I walk daily, play kickball twice a week, and play pickleball three times a week now, but no longer hit the gym. I'm ten pounds heavier than I'd like to be, but haven't really gotten serious about losing it yet, but when I do it'll be by eating less and exercising more. There is no magic pill, I just have to do the work.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 AM

16 posts, read 16,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Long term caloric restriction is the only way to lose weight. If you really think doing so is impossible, I suggest you check yourself into the nearest psych ward, because you've gone off the deep end.

Science disconfirms your statement.

In fact, your baseless beliefs have been disconfirmed repeatedly. You are EXTRAPOLATING and ASSUMING things. You are PRESUMING the answers before asking the question. This is NOT what we do , in s science.

And do NOT even MISUSE/ABUSE the first law of thermodynamics by mentioning it. I have news for you: I have talked to over 30 scientists from MIT, Harvard, Caltech and elsewhere over the last 6 years who SPECIALIZE in the molecular machinery of life, as well as biophysics and physics. This is NOT a physics issue. It is PHYSIOLOGIY/BIOCHEMISTRY.

These scientists y agree with me UNANIMOUSLY. The first law of thermodynamics does NOT AT ALL deal with the numerous BIOLOGICAL/HORMONAL/BIOCHEMCIAL factors ( many of them INVOLUNTARY) WHICH DETERMINE and CONTROL whether or not a negative energy balance even occurs. ALL the first law says is "IF THIS CONDITION IS PRESENT, THEN THAT " That is as far as it goes. THE END.

And, REMEMBER, IT DOES NOT AT ALL deal with FAT LOSS SPECIFICALLY. Dieters LOSE MUSCLE MASS largely. You could lose MUSCLE mass mainly , bone mass, organ mass, a mixture of all etc. In a consistent negative energy balance something has to gove and be lost. However, FAT CELLS CAN HOARD in dysregulated states, such as obesity. PEOPLE VARY GREATLY as to how much overall weight will actually be lost- ALSO how much FAT SPECIFICALLY will be lost. Big cottage cheese legs to smaller cottage cheese legs is NOT success or improved body COMPOSITION.Many post menopausal women get these results from dieting- a waste of time methodology

THERE IS CLEARLY MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE GOING ON THAN MERE ENERGY BALANCE. THAT IS ONLY ONE FACET OF THIS AS THE SCIENTISTS ADMIT TO.

Down this road you do not want to go with me....I have obsessively studied this specific topic for the last 6 years -every single day-including holidays

Further, the first law of thermodynamics does NOT AT ALL address the regulation of fat cells specifically, nor their dysregulation. Energy balance does NOT AT ALL address BODY COMPOSITION specifically - just overall mass. "Successful" gastric bypass patients are still very fat pieces of human eat even when they are considerably smaller in size. As far as body fat percentage they are not even as lean as an average person. They are still riddled with fat. BIOCHEMISTRY addresses this. ALL of this on 800 calories a day 1/3 of what normal people eat- and these normal people are FAR leaner.

- such a POOR result and all of that suffering.

Calorie restriction does NOT work over t the long term and is NOT a solution for obesity. it has been scientifically tested over and over and FAILED MISERABLY.

What is needed is to LOWER THE THRESHOLD of the predetermined range of weight that your brain DEFENDS. Scientists do not know how to do this yet. THAT IS THE PROBLEM- A MAJOR problem.

If YOU think obesity is as simple as eating less then YOU have to check yourself in....SCIENCE shows it is a hellishly complicated PHENOMENON and is NOT well understood.

. Science shows dieting FAILS and that weight regain is DUE TO BIOLOGY,NOT willpower. Willpower has nothing to do with it. This is WELL STUDIED. Dr. Leibel,Dr. Rosenbaum and many more. Dieting does NOT work over the LONG TERM It only works short term in some. Body weight is regulated over the very long term.

Deatiled observation from scientists show seven the most diligent exercisers and dieters EXPERIENCE REGAIN- of some sort. AGAIN- INVOLUNTARY FACTORS YOUR BODY INDUCES TO EXERT CONTROL.

Studies show dieting is the BIGGEST PREDICTOR of long term weight gain of any behavior.

Your body NEGATES and EXERTS control after you lose even 10 % of body weight. A chemo-mechanic efficiency is induced int the muscles involuntarily. Also a 25 % total energy expenditure drop is induced.Dieting has a failure rate of WELL OVER 98 % after to 10 years. Even in the best hospitals and medically supervised programs.

Science shows us our methodology is WRONG. Much remains to be learned about body weight regulation.

We know so far that the BODY HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN regarding weight, as shown by Dr. Rosenbaum.

LEARN to force your beliefs to CONFORM to the evidence from reality and replicated A1A quality experiments.

YOU are reasoning from BELIEF...... YOU are forcing the evidence from reality to conform to your per-existing erroneous beliefs about obesity and body fat regulation....This is NO-NO, in science....

Last edited by MikeSneedman; 06-04-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 03:22 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,641,183 times
Yeah no shi* putting obese people on 800 calories a day is going to fail. The normal people are normal because they keep their caloric input pretty close to maintenance, which keeps all their hormones in check. Dropping down to 800 calories is counter productive and not sustainable long term.

You can't point towards flawed studies/diets to prove your points.

I haven't seen you actually give a solution, you just bash "dieting"(whatever that is). Somehow people are losing weight and keeping it off, you can't claim that it doesn't happen, because it does, every single day/week/month/year, and these people keep it off. I know because I personally know some of those people who have lost weight and kept it off long term. It isn't rocket science, don't over-eat and you won't become obese. The body can't create energy out of thin air, no amount of bio-chemical reactions can create energy without being given fuel of some kind, either from food ingested or stored triglycerides. And the body requires a certain amount of energy on a daily basis to continue to live.

The body doesn't have a mind of its own when it comes to fat loss. It acts in a predictable manner to your actions, namely, how much energy you are burning and how much you are taking in via food stuffed in your mouth, and what the content of that food is. If you stop eating food, you use up all fat stores and a whole lot of muscle, then DIE.

You are obviously a nutjob so I'm not going to waste anymore time on you. Do me a favor and don't give anyone weight loss advice, because so far as I can tell your advice consists of "you can't lose the weight". Really helpful there.

You know, I bet you are obese. No one else would fight the obvious truth so hard, and try so hard to place blame for obesity on something outside of one's personal control. Classic fat person behavior you are displaying here.

Diets don't have to lose muscle mass. Saying that betrays your complete lack of knowledge on the subject. Adequate protein intake combined with resistance training protects lean body mass during a sustained caloric deficit, science and many thousands of people have clearly demonstrated this.

The body doesn't decide when it is in a energy deficit. If that were the case, no one would starve to death because the body would just be like "you know what? nah, were all good, let me just snap my fingers and... yep! no energy deficit here!". Oh wait, no that doesn't happen. The most the body can do is slow the process down a little bit.

I was a lean 190 pounds when I graduated high school, ended up a fat 230 pounds a year later, and am now a lean and strong 205. I got fat because I over ate, plain and simple. I stopped over eating and I lost the weight. Again, really simple.

Last edited by tofur; 06-06-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 04:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,816,265 times
As mentioned in another thread you're active in tofur, that guy you're responding to is just RickSantos with a new account name. There's really no point in trying to argue with him about anything.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:19 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,233,199 times
There were no fat people in concentration camps, is all I can say to that long shpiel above...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss